Author Topic: Calculators and investment tracking software  (Read 3695 times)

Zette

• Stubble
Calculators and investment tracking software
« on: November 13, 2013, 01:23:31 PM »
What calculators and investment tracking software have been the most useful to you in making your FIRE plan?

I'm new to the site, and just starting to contemplate what it would take to reach FIRE.

Stache In Training

• Stubble
Re: Calculators and investment tracking software
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 03:51:13 PM »
This maybe isn't for FIRE calculating, but I think it's the most helpful tool: mint.com

Once you know exactly how much you are saving and spending, all you have to do is divide the two, find your savings rate, and then check out the 'shockingly simply math' mmm blog post.

I'm sure other people will give you the correct calculators for calculating your fire date, but without mint.com (or some kind of tracking) you won't be able to use the calculators.

Spork

• Walrus Stache
    • Spork In The Eye
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 03:55:50 PM »

I rolled my own.  It's an overly complicated batch of graphs and perl scripts that has grown to be a monster over time. 

For tracking software, I use gnucash (which is where my scripts read the data from).  It's free... probably not as pretty as the commercial offerings, but also probably also sticks to accounting rules more than they do.

Le0

• Stubble
    • My Path to Financial Independence in 2014
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:02:35 PM »

I rolled my own.  It's an overly complicated batch of graphs and perl scripts that has grown to be a monster over time. 

For tracking software, I use gnucash (which is where my scripts read the data from).  It's free... probably not as pretty as the commercial offerings, but also probably also sticks to accounting rules more than they do.

I think I have to agree with you. I moved from Mint to YNAB because while mint is 'automatic' it doesn't take into consideration that sometimes things I buy at groceries stores are for gifts etc. I found myself still poking and nudging things in Mint, so the graphs made sense and were correct.

If you learn to use things like GNUcash that's a great place to start. I like YNAB because its simple enough my family can use it and it has the mobile apps.

astadt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 07:25:33 PM »
Ive really liked personalcapital.com

Its pretty dang good for streamlining our spending with our investments. Its got very appealing displays as well.

Caoineag

• Pencil Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2013, 07:40:35 AM »
Mint.com is handy for the cheap and easy, but I use a spreadsheet with formulas for my long term goals and tracking.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2013, 07:42:42 AM »
Mint.com is handy for the cheap and easy, but I use a spreadsheet with formulas for my long term goals and tracking.

This exactly for me.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!