Author Topic: Buying Low - Who else can not resist this correction?  (Read 19161 times)

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Buying Low - Who else can not resist this correction?
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2015, 03:30:32 PM »
Enjoy buying at a discount but don't expect a trampoline. Not until we are through September. Increase investing if you can but don't use money you need soon and leave your emergency fund alone. The market will make a poor bank account the few months. Murphy says it will be down when you need the money.

gimp

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2015, 03:57:06 PM »
I had some discretionary cash, so I've put in around $2k in the past couple days. Now I might feed it $100/day... hmm...

Vilgan

• Bristles
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2015, 04:08:30 PM »
Its exciting to see stuff getting a bit more reasonably priced. I capped out the Roth IRA, but am now out of easy ways to invest tax sheltered until I set up my custom solo 401k that can take after tax and not sure I'm so excited at this price that I want to start putting stuff in taxable ahead of plan.

I do kind of wish I had that solo 401k put together tho... wasn't planning on messing with it until later this year.

FIRE47

• Bristles
« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2015, 04:52:33 PM »
The storm clouds look to be forming again for tomorrow...

I don't think were through this yet

K-ice

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: August 25, 2015, 04:59:42 PM »
I wanted to run a little example to see why everyone was so excited.  In the back of my mind I thought if you have a stash ($100K)  then isn’t it better for things to not to have dropped, just keep investing ($10K) and hope it keeps climbing.

So I quickly ran three scenarios.  Start with $100K in shares at $30 per share.
First a drop in price to $28, you buy $10K  low.
Second no drop in price and you buy $10K as usual.
Third, a drop in price but you are scared and don’t make your usual investment.

The share price all climb back up to the same point by December assumed $32 per share.

Well the winner is the First  Drop in price and buy low scenario by less than 1%  $118095.  In the middle is the second scenario $117333.  The looser is, by no surprise, the scared and stop investing case $106666.

These scenarios don’t even include dividends which will be greater with the Drop in price & buy low scenario.

That said, never invest more than you comfortably can.

mpg350

• Stubble
« Reply #55 on: August 25, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »
This market has much further to drop this is nothing in my opinion.

Of course if the FED does another QE all bets are off.

Civex

• Stubble
« Reply #56 on: August 26, 2015, 09:01:21 AM »
Threw 3k into VTSAX; wasn't planning on making another purchase until October, but couldn't resist. Invested $5k in VTSAX 8 days before that...~$30k into it in the last 14 months.

Megma

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #57 on: August 26, 2015, 09:25:23 AM »
I put a few 100 I had laying around into my IRA which isn't fully funded yet for this year (usually my end of year bonus gives it a boost). I am really tempted to pull money out of my rental property down payment savings account to put it in my IRA but that wasn't in my plan...maybe I will if the storm continues. It's so tempting to deviate from the plan but I know that trying to "time" the market is a fools errand...maybe it will be even lower by the time my bonus comes? Who knows.

I am glad that my 403b contribution goes in today (payday!).

Jersey Brett

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • No matter where you go...there you are.
« Reply #58 on: August 26, 2015, 09:31:26 AM »
Not me. Was it the Carpenters who said "Its only just begun..."?

Not as good as Superstar though.

Saving in Austin

• Stubble
« Reply #59 on: August 26, 2015, 10:53:13 AM »
You can't predict the bounce back but this column gives some good historical insights:

http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2015/08/data-points-to-ponder-during-todays-selloff/

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache

h2ogal

• Stubble
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2015, 02:43:11 PM »
So market closing price for S+P today (1941) higher than yesterday (1867), but still almost 10% down from past 52 week high.   

Over this past week I transferred cash of about $22K in total on 3 separate days; $20K in US S+P index, and rest in International.   

That's it for me, probably won't touch any more cash, but I do think I'm changing my DCA plans in the short term.  I have been buying about $1k every other Friday in International but I'm going to switch that to US Equities because I'm feeling that 10% total portfolio in International is all I want right now.

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in my buy-on-sale spree, and I'm very interested to hear how this turns out for everyone, and at worst, it will be a learning experience, right?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2015, 02:50:29 PM »
Got 20 shares of VTI @ ~$97 a pop

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2015, 02:59:52 PM »
Raided my checking account buffer today for a little cash to get my fix (get paid on Mon).  I don't like to buy on big up days (didn't manage to buy yesterday), but in the past, after a big dip and turn, I have sat around waiting for a second dip to jump in, which rarely seems to happen.  The $ amounts are meaningless, but I enjoy playing the game a bit, if nothing else to continually prove to myself how difficult it is to time the market. Never selling keeps me out of trouble, though.