Author Topic: Brokerage holdings for FIRE  (Read 2019 times)

FIREFTW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Brokerage holdings for FIRE
« on: October 02, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
I am 28 and have no debt and a networth of +70k. I have no kids and I am only responsible for myself. I always max out my Roth IRA and have other age-restricted accounts as well. My question is: what would you all recommend putting in my taxable brokerage account to 'retire' young. I seem to be getting mixed messages when I try to look for advice on this in the website between Index funds or dividend growth stocks with good yields. Thanks in advance!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Re: Brokerage holdings for FIRE
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2015, 06:31:01 PM »
I am 28 and have no debt and a networth of +70k. I have no kids and I am only responsible for myself. I always max out my Roth IRA and have other age-restricted accounts as well. My question is: what would you all recommend putting in my taxable brokerage account to 'retire' young. I seem to be getting mixed messages when I try to look for advice on this in the website between Index funds or dividend growth stocks with good yields. Thanks in advance!

That's a personal decision.  The preference among the community is to index.  I went FIRE 5OCT2012 at age 40.  My taxable account is roughly equal thirds (high yield and bond), dividend growth, and cash used to write cash secured puts.  Many ways to skin that cat.

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »
Agreed. Officially I believe MMM likes Betterment and Vanguard. If you mean the forum you have many different opinions but most fall to index. Depends on your approach and what you want to do. I firmly believe that if you throughly examine your options in context to your goals you are on the right path

mrpercentage

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2015, 07:32:43 PM »
I just wanted to share this with you. If you think you might be interested in dividend investing consider dropping by wellsfargo or chase and asking for a report like this discussing their strategy. I bet they will give you one in hope of obtaining your business. You know your source will be credible and it will probably be free.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!