celerystalks

• Bristles
« on: May 18, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 11:01:18 AM by L.A.S. »

daverobev

• Magnum Stache
Re: Brazil is on sale.
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2017, 06:13:38 PM »
Compare to where, say, the ETF EWZ was a year ago - about $25 - now $32. Yes, down, but...

powskier

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:59 PM »
There's a more than a few reasons why.
Just because something is on sale doesn't mean it is worth buying.

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2017, 06:57:14 AM »
I have held a very small portion of my portfolio in a Latin American index with a heavy Brazil component since 2007.  It has proven to be a bad idea so far, and I'm pretty glad not to have tied too much cash up in it.

D Bopp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
I've been invested in Fidelity fund FLATX Latin American fund for about 10 or 11 years.  I want to sell it, but am trying to hold out for it to get back to where it used to be.  I originally bought shares when the price was around $12. It shot up to the $60-70 range for a few years and then crashed back down to $15. It's since come up to about $21.

It's a small amount of my portfolio, so I'm not too concerned, but it hurts to see what it used to be!

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2017, 09:35:17 AM »
I remain bullish on latin america on a multidecadal time scale. But I'm not sure whether I feel strongly enough about that investment thesis to pull the trigger on putting money into narrower index funds targeting either South America or Brazil specifically.

Brazilian guy at work was really shook up about the previous presidential impeachment proceedings. I'm curious to hear what he thinks about this one (potentially impeaching the person who replaced the impeached president in this past August).

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 06:04:27 PM »
Q: what do you call a 90% loss.
A: an 80% loss that proceeded to lose half its value.

Why did it plummet?  Because There was additional bad news that the market only just found out about.  What else do we not know about?  No thanks I'll pass.

runewell

• Bristles
  • actuary
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 06:06:46 PM »
I've been invested in Fidelity fund FLATX Latin American fund for about 10 or 11 years.  I want to sell it, but am trying to hold out for it to get back to where it used to be.

This is terrible investing psychology.  The money is gone, the question is, is this the right place to invest for gains going forward?

sokoloff

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 06:48:02 PM »
I've been invested in Fidelity fund FLATX Latin American fund for about 10 or 11 years.  I want to sell it, but am trying to hold out for it to get back to where it used to be.  I originally bought shares when the price was around $12. It shot up to the $60-70 range for a few years and then crashed back down to $15. It's since come up to about $21.

It's a small amount of my portfolio, so I'm not too concerned, but it hurts to see what it used to be!
Concur with @runewell. Waiting for it to get back to some arbitrary point is unwise/unsound investing plan.

If you like it and want to keep owning it, do that.
If you no longer believe in it, but are waiting for a better price to exit, I'd exit now and put the money to work someplace else that you do believe in.

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2017, 12:44:37 PM »
I wanted to read this as
"Brazil is on fire"..
I'm not touching that. Sometimes (in fact most of the time) stocks are cheap for a reason.

MaaS

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2017, 12:50:21 PM »
Looks like there is a sale going on in Brazilian stocks today.  Anyone take advantage of this?  It looks like one popular ETF was down about 15-18% at one point today from yesterday's close -- now it is down about 13.5%.

I myself have not done anything.  Although my diversified emerging market fund has gotten cheaper as a result of today.  Hopefully it doesn't bounce back too quick before I am scheduled to buy next.

I've recently rebalanced/tweaked my IP to be more emerging market heavy (VEMAX), which has significant Brazil exposure.  But investing just in Brazil?  Nah, I don't have near enough confidence in Brazil for that. 

acroy

• Handlebar Stache
    • SWAMI
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2017, 01:34:25 PM »
BR is in trouble, bad trouble -

There may be some good value companies out there, drug down by the widespread panic, but the country is in trouble. Too much debt, in denominations they cannot print (inflate their way out). Demographics/retirement bombs, corruption, etc. I tend to be a rather contrarian investor, but don't have anything in BR except in the vanguard total world fund.

D Bopp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2017, 07:33:33 PM »

Concur with @runewell. Waiting for it to get back to some arbitrary point is unwise/unsound investing plan.

If you like it and want to keep owning it, do that.
If you no longer believe in it, but are waiting for a better price to exit, I'd exit now and put the money to work someplace else that you do believe in.

You guys are right. Tonight, I have sold my shares and put them into Fidelity's Total Mkt fund FSTVX, which the majority of my Roth IRA is invested in.