Author Topic: Bottom is in  (Read 56676 times)

clifp

• Pencil Stache
Re: Bottom is in
« Reply #200 on: June 16, 2022, 01:47:36 PM »
I don't think the bottom is in yet, but, with the S&P now -24% from its all time highs, I think we're closer to the bottom, at least in nominal terms, than we are to the top.

It feels like we are halfway there.  I know that these 6 figure-down days are awfully depressing.  I've started looking at writing out of the money on AMZN, GOOG, AAPL, MSFT, and even FB, but I'm still too scared to pull the trigger. I'm glad I have real estate, and my hard money loans are still being paid, so I"m good shape.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: June 16, 2022, 02:15:01 PM »
I see, you're taking the 51% drawdown from 2007-2009 and pushing it up to 60%.  Oh well, I hoped there was another professional bearish investor I could check out.  With a 10 year bull market followed by 3 years in which the market doubled... I doubt many bearish investors remain.

I've been bearish since April, which did really well this past week.  I'm tired of following CNBC & Bloomberg TV, and so today I shifted 1/5th of my portfolio from inverse ETFs into cash.  I also suspect many central banks surprising with rate hikes won't happen often, so the news might not be so bad tomorrow or next week.

So maybe we have a local low point today.

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow, in nominal terms?
Is that in nominal miles per hour or nominal kilometers per hour?
*watches Solon get flung off a bridge by an unseen force*

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: June 16, 2022, 02:30:56 PM »
I see, you're taking the 51% drawdown from 2007-2009 and pushing it up to 60%.  Oh well, I hoped there was another professional bearish investor I could check out.  With a 10 year bull market followed by 3 years in which the market doubled... I doubt many bearish investors remain.

I was using the SP-500 peak/trough of 1,565.15 on October 9, 2007 to 676.53 on March 9, 2009 which I think is more like a 56.7% decline. Of course that's just one "market" and in nominal terms.

I'm not a professional trader or economist but I don't think that there is anything in the history books to compare this market to. We've never had any analogous time to right now in the US or world markets. This is truly unprecedented AFAIK. I would add that we don't know what the ultimate Fed rate would be or even close. I can make an argument that it will top out below 4% and I can make another argument that it will be double digits. Without knowing this we don't know the risk free rate of return, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. If anyone tells me they know the future this time I will dismiss them out of hand.

EDITed to add - I do however welcome hypotheses. They make me think.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:02:19 AM by PDXTabs »

Juan Ponce de León

• Bristles
« Reply #203 on: June 16, 2022, 02:39:50 PM »
I’m hearing 60%.  Plenty of people are saying it.  I don’t know if it’s going to be 60% but a lot of really astute people say 60%.

Good to hear, this means there will be a bottom very soon.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: July 27, 2022, 05:48:40 PM »
So the Fed announced a 75 basis point hike and stonks went up? I'm starting to think that the bottom was indeed in.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #205 on: July 27, 2022, 09:03:23 PM »
So the Fed announced a 75 basis point hike and stonks went up? I'm starting to think that the bottom was indeed in.

Yea, super weird that stocks went up at the open and then basically didn’t fluctuate when the actual announcement came out and the risk of a 1% hike was taken off the table. Looks very suspicious to me. A mole might be at the bottom.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: September 30, 2022, 10:05:14 PM »
I'm pretty sure that this guy just called the bottom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILGn8GsNxE

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2022, 08:10:48 AM »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2022, 09:21:25 AM »

clarkfan1979

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #209 on: October 01, 2022, 07:40:03 PM »
I'm pretty sure that this guy just called the bottom:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ILGn8GsNxE

This guy called it first
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

That guy would never let me down.

I do think it is possible to occasionally come across a good company that falls on short-term hard times, make an educated guess on buying near the bottom and ride it up better than the market average. It's very difficult, but I think it's possible.

When talking about timing the entire S & P 500, I don't see how it's possible. Just my personal opinion.

This one is better (IMO).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdkCEioCp24
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 07:46:02 PM by clarkfan1979 »

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #210 on: October 17, 2022, 02:31:27 PM »
Bank of America just beat expectations and Brian Moynihan says that the US consumer is in great shape.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #211 on: October 17, 2022, 02:42:37 PM »
I'd take it, we're pulling the plug on two six-figure careers in the next couple of months -_-

Recovery from here sounds nice.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2022, 08:48:40 AM »
Good news everybody, 401k contribution going in at end of day

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2022, 08:52:41 AM »

Ouch.  lol

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2022, 11:43:00 AM »

Your sacrifice is noted and appreciated.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2022, 06:57:11 PM »

When is your next contribution scheduled?

Asking for a friend.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #216 on: November 11, 2022, 10:54:45 AM »

When is your next contribution scheduled?

Asking for a friend.

Next month

Amazing how mr market can screw us all even though we all have different investment schedules!

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #217 on: November 15, 2022, 01:31:07 PM »

Amazing how mr market can screw us all even though we all have different investment schedules!

Mr. Market has superpowers in this regard. I am currently suffering from his perfidious skills.

theolympians

• Stubble
« Reply #218 on: November 21, 2022, 05:36:16 PM »
I am 1-3 years away from retirement. I am socking away as much money as I can afford into my 457plan. Bottom is mostly in!

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #219 on: November 26, 2022, 11:39:38 AM »
My dad has been actively investing, poorly, for 40 years now. He told me at Thanksgiving that he's all cash now so the bottom is most certainly in.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: November 26, 2022, 10:48:06 PM »
My dad has been actively investing, poorly, for 40 years now. He told me at Thanksgiving that he's all cash now so the bottom is most certainly in.

Checks out.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #221 on: December 05, 2022, 08:09:01 AM »
Is the bottom in?

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2022, 11:06:57 AM »
Oh dear.
It was all looking so promising just a couple of weeks ago with the Dow at least breaking through the long term downtrend... but that now looks as everything is shot to pieces now and the latest selloff has pushed everything back into "oh shit" territory.

Nasdaq in particular is triggering panic alarms - has violated the supporting trendline pretty early on in the daily cycle, so we should fully expect there to be a retest of the Oct lows and - probably - new lows ahead.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #223 on: December 23, 2022, 02:36:16 PM »
FWIW “oh shit” territory is where I prefer to do my investing

LightStache

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #224 on: December 24, 2022, 07:09:19 AM »

Are we in that territory now? Asking for a friend...

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #225 on: December 24, 2022, 06:16:52 PM »

I hope so.  The last five years have been uncomfortably bubbly.

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #226 on: December 24, 2022, 06:21:23 PM »

A good reason to watch this forum is because most of the people here are buy and hodl'rs. When they stop preaching the gospel and start talking about maybe earning some interest off their remaining money in a MM account, that'll be the bottom.

vand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: December 28, 2022, 12:40:58 PM »
2 of the most important bellweathers are flashing here:

Nasdaq composite index and AAPL are both threatening to make new closing lows.

If that happens they will almost certainly lead everything else down to new lows.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: December 28, 2022, 07:38:07 PM »
CNN's fear & greed index has dropped into "extreme fear" repeatedly this year, as can be seen if you click "timeline" near the top right.  Each one may have been a local bottom - but not "the bottom".
https://edition.cnn.com/markets/fear-and-greed

Weeks ago that indicator showed "greed" and now shows "fear" - but not "extreme fear".  My guess is we'll fall into "extreme fear" again within the next couple months, and hit another local bottom.

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #229 on: December 29, 2022, 06:23:47 PM »

A good reason to watch this forum is because most of the people here are buy and hodl'rs. When they stop preaching the gospel and start talking about maybe earning some interest off their remaining money in a MM account, that'll be the bottom.

The bottom isn’t in until The Top Is In drops to the second page of threads. It has to drop 12 more spots. It got close earlier this year, but then someone posted to it. That’s why the market hasn’t begun recovering yet.

AnxietyFly

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: December 31, 2022, 09:11:11 AM »
I think we have about twelve more months of bumpiness before we see recovery.

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #231 on: December 31, 2022, 07:43:11 PM »

The bottom isn’t in until The Top Is In drops to the second page of threads. It has to drop 12 more spots. It got close earlier this year, but then someone posted to it. That’s why the market hasn’t begun recovering yet.

I’m very much tempted to bump that back up the Top of the page to keep the sale on

Wintergreen78

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: December 31, 2022, 08:33:47 PM »

I’m very much tempted to bump that back up the Top of the page to keep the sale on

Don’t do it! Only nine more spots to go.

Although, I have thought about starting a few threads to get it closer. If you start trying to game the indicator, I’m pretty sure the SEC will come after you for market manipulation. They are watching that thread pretty close.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2022, 08:35:30 PM by Wintergreen78 »

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 01, 2023, 12:38:39 AM »
I was using the SP-500 peak/trough of 1,565.15 on October 9, 2007 to 676.53 on March 9, 2009 which I think is more like a 56.7% decline. Of course that's just one "market" and in nominal terms.
Portfolio Visualizer gave me the -50.89% drawdown for Oct 2007 to Feb 2009, but I've since learned they use "month to month" calculations that ignore price moves within a month.  I think your number is accurate, not mine.  But I can't find historical S&P 500 index prices at Yahoo Finance - only ETFs (like SPY).
What data source do you use to view the S&P 500 index prices?

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 01, 2023, 09:28:01 AM »

Although, I have thought about starting a few threads to get it closer. If you start trying to game the indicator, I’m pretty sure the SEC will come after you for market manipulation. They are watching that thread pretty close.

I’ll definitely use a burner account then :)

RWD

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #235 on: January 01, 2023, 01:04:51 PM »

Okay, thorstach

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #236 on: January 01, 2023, 10:37:05 PM »

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #237 on: January 01, 2023, 10:56:31 PM »

Okay, thorstach

Top is In

ATtiny85

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #238 on: March 31, 2023, 02:08:15 PM »
This feels like the good ole days when I would lament about 401k contributions going in on an up day. Way back when the Top was In, but it was a youthful in.

Buying all these equities on sale for a year just feels like cheating.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 02:17:44 PM by ATtiny85 »

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet
« Reply #239 on: March 31, 2023, 02:15:42 PM »
This feels like the good ole days when I would lament about 401k contributions going in on a up day. Way back when the Top was In, but it was a youthful in.

Buying all these equities on sale for a year just feels like cheating.

The good times, they always pass!