Author Topic: Both Personal Capital and Mint don't display correct values  (Read 7103 times)

Tdub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Hi everyone,

I have both personal capital and mint accounts, for the primary purpose of tracking my net worth and secondary purpose of tracking my transactions in one place.

I have RSUs, both vested and unvested, in an eTrade account.  PC and mint both display my eTrade account in different ways, and both incorrectly:

Mint, as of the past couple weeks, started showing unvested stock in addition to vested stock, making my net worth look a lot higher than it is.  I do not actually own the unvested stock yet, and might not ever own it.  When they switched systems of reporting, my net worth graph jumped and is now useless.

Personal Capital has always just shown the securities part of the account (a couple hundred in cash), and does not show the value of my investment account (vested stock).  This makes my net worth incorrect, in the opposite direction.

Anybody else have these issues?

I'm thinking of just dumping what vested stock I do have (for investment strategy purposes), which will make the problem go away if I delete eTrade from both accounts, but that seems pretty extreme to be the only solution.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
Re: Both Personal Capital and Mint don't display correct values
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 03:53:15 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have both personal capital and mint accounts, for the primary purpose of tracking my net worth and secondary purpose of tracking my transactions in one place.

I have RSUs, both vested and unvested, in an eTrade account.  PC and mint both display my eTrade account in different ways, and both incorrectly:

Mint, as of the past couple weeks, started showing unvested stock in addition to vested stock, making my net worth look a lot higher than it is.  I do not actually own the unvested stock yet, and might not ever own it.  When they switched systems of reporting, my net worth graph jumped and is now useless.

Personal Capital has always just shown the securities part of the account (a couple hundred in cash), and does not show the value of my investment account (vested stock).  This makes my net worth incorrect, in the opposite direction.

Anybody else have these issues?

I'm thinking of just dumping what vested stock I do have (for investment strategy purposes), which will make the problem go away if I delete eTrade from both accounts, but that seems pretty extreme to be the only solution.

I don't know about personal capital, but I noticed the exact same issue with Mint and unvested stock and it has lead to an almost 10% inaccuracy in my net worth. Very annoying indeed, it would be nice if you had the option to choose how it counts it..

Tdub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 04:17:38 PM »
I don't know about personal capital, but I noticed the exact same issue with Mint and unvested stock and it has lead to an almost 10% inaccuracy in my net worth. Very annoying indeed, it would be nice if you had the option to choose how it counts it..

I contacted mint, and I encourage you to do the same so they are aware customers do not like this method.  I wonder why they switched, and whether it's on mint's end or eTrade's end.

Tdub

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 06:52:42 PM »
Whew, looks like all is good again in Mint.  I also reached out to personal capital, and they said they are aware of the bug and are working with eTrade on a fix.  PC has been like that a long time though, so my confidence in a quick fix is low.  We'll see.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2017, 06:19:58 PM »
PC is still messed up.  They are reporting $0 values for stocks I have invested in my ETrade accounts.  It has been this way for a few weeks now.  Early on they broadcast an announcement that they knew about the issue and were working with ETrade but they have not sent any more updates.  I was thinking about reaching out to them directly tomorrow.  I am getting annoyed about the lack of updates.

prognastat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 08:14:10 AM »
Whew, looks like all is good again in Mint.  I also reached out to personal capital, and they said they are aware of the bug and are working with eTrade on a fix.  PC has been like that a long time though, so my confidence in a quick fix is low.  We'll see.

Same here, all is good again.

DarkandStormy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 11:20:15 AM »
You can "manually" adjust on PC.  Just click "add new account" and then select "manual investment" and you can enter your info. there.  It kind of defeats the purpose of linking your accounts to update automatically, but it won't link with the investment portion of my HSA so I just go in every couple weeks and update the shares of whatever fund I've invested into that paycheck.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 10:42:39 AM »
My Fidelity accounts/logins are screwed up with PC. The account balances are actually updated/reflected somehow but every account prompts for a login when I go to look at transaction history, etc (red dot next to the account as well). I'll enter my username/password but it doesn't do anything. I think the only way to potentially resolve this is to remove/close the account and add it again, but I don't want to do that and lose all my account history. PC's support sucks too - I've opened two tickets with them to this point, and one as far back as May with zero response. Other people were complaining about the same issue in their community forums too, and then they disabled the ability for customers to post there!!! On top of that, they're calling me every other day to try to setup a financial planning session...SMH, fix your sh!t first, then maybe I'll consider meeting with one of your advisors!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2017, 01:21:51 PM »
I actually had some success working with my bank when they changed their website and messed up the linkage with Mint. However, I now have two closed accounts and one active account representing my transactions across time and across systems.

So try working with customer service on both sides.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2017, 09:45:53 PM »
My Fidelity accounts/logins are screwed up with PC. The account balances are actually updated/reflected somehow but every account prompts for a login when I go to look at transaction history, etc (red dot next to the account as well). I'll enter my username/password but it doesn't do anything. I think the only way to potentially resolve this is to remove/close the account and add it again, but I don't want to do that and lose all my account history. PC's support sucks too - I've opened two tickets with them to this point, and one as far back as May with zero response. Other people were complaining about the same issue in their community forums too, and then they disabled the ability for customers to post there!!! On top of that, they're calling me every other day to try to setup a financial planning session...SMH, fix your sh!t first, then maybe I'll consider meeting with one of your advisors!

Schedule the meeting and then explain your issues to the advisor.  That has worked for me.

facepalm

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 12:44:21 PM »
Personal Capital categorizes two of my pensions as cash and there does not seem to be a way of fixing it (and still have the balances update automatically). Which probably explains why their advisers keep calling me suggesting investments. I just tell them that I like cash.

CorpRaider

• Bristles
    • The Corpraider Blog
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »
PC was never remotely right for me, so I cancelled since it tried to generate a performance index and whatnot.  Mint gets my top line balances right but none of the other stuff (CAGRs and graphs and whatnot).

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 05:48:50 PM »
The "% change" column in my investments tab on Mint has been comical for a while. The %'s are way off and Mint can't identify most of my Vanguard and Fidelity funds. I've contacted them about it, but they haven't been able to get the information to display correctly. The vendor websites show up perfectly, so I go to them for accurate numbers.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!