Author Topic: Changing from AXA Equitable to Fidelity  (Read 4440 times)

homesprout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Changing from AXA Equitable to Fidelity
« on: August 15, 2015, 06:32:25 PM »
I'm facing a growing awareness of my investments, and realize that I need to make a few changes.  I'm a teacher, and I currently have my investment in AXA Equitable (I know...).  I had previously had it in Fidelity, and made a change in 2008 when the market crashed.  I know, it was a really poor decision.  Now I would like to change back.  Does anyone have any information as to how I would go about doing so?  I'm wondering if...

1.  Immediately transfer over all of my money, incurring a penalty (not sure of what yet, need to contact financial advisor).
2.   Open new Fidelity account, start putting money in that account, and then gradually transfer over the money.
3.  Leave the money in AXA to sit, and just open a new account with Fidelity. 

I know that I still need the numbers.  I just want to hear an independent voice before I talk to the financial advisor. 

Also, the max contribution for a Fidelity plan in 18,000, correct?  Am I correct assume that I should just divide this by my number of pay checks, and then ask for that withdrawal each check? 

Finally, is there a particular type of plan I should go for?  I've read that Spartan is good. 

Thanks for all of your help.  I'm very new to this. 

MDM

• Senior Mustachian
Re: Changing from AXA Equitable to Fidelity
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 07:22:27 PM »
Now I would like to change back.  Does anyone have any information as to how I would go about doing so?
Often the best way to proceed in a case such as yours is to call the "transfer to" company (in your case, Fidelity) and ask to handle it.  As they are receiving the money they are usually glad to do so.

1.  Immediately transfer over all of my money, incurring a penalty (not sure of what yet, need to contact financial advisor).
2.   Open new Fidelity account, start putting money in that account, and then gradually transfer over the money.
3.  Leave the money in AXA to sit, and just open a new account with Fidelity.

I know that I still need the numbers.  I just want to hear an independent voice before I talk to the financial advisor.
Yes, find out what charge, if any, you would incur. 

Also, the max contribution for a Fidelity plan in 18,000, correct?
The limits are on the 401k/403b plan, not specific to any vendor.  See http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Participant,-Employee/Retirement-Topics-403%28b%29-Contribution-Limits

Am I correct assume that I should just divide this by my number of pay checks, and then ask for that withdrawal each check?
That works.  See http://www.mymoneyblog.com/strategies-for-maxing-out-your-401k-403b-and-company-match-true-up-contributions.html for some potential nuances.

Finally, is there a particular type of plan I should go for?  I've read that Spartan is good.
See http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity for some ideas.

homesprout

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Changing from AXA Equitable to Fidelity
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 08:15:14 PM »
Thank you so much!  This is very helpful.