Author Topic: Moving Taxable Investments to Vanguard - Help!  (Read 1212 times)

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
Moving Taxable Investments to Vanguard - Help!
« on: July 22, 2019, 11:18:25 AM »
I am trying to evaluate the cost of moving investments from various funds with a brokerage to VTSAX and VBTLX.  How do I determine what costs will be involved?  Taxes? Brokerage fees? 
I am unfamiliar with the meanings behind some of the words I see.  Unrealized gains/losses?  What is a good resource for understanding how taxable investments are taxed?

I appreciate any direction you can offer.  I suspect the answers I seek are somewhere in this forum, but I can't imagine having the time to read all of the previous posts.

Thanks!

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
Re: Moving Taxable Investments to Vanguard - Help!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 11:47:33 AM »
If you bought some stock for $100, and it is now worth $300, you have $200 of unrealized gains. Your cost basis is the $100 you bought it for. When you sell for $300, you will be taxed on the capital gains (sale price minus basis) of $200.

Capital gains are taxed at different rates, depending on your tax bracket, and if you have held the investment for at least one year.

Stocks sold after holding for one year or more are taxed at "long term capital gains" rate, which are 0% if you are in the 12% bracket for normal income, 15% if up to about the 35% bracket for normal income.

Stocks sold after holding for less than a year have their capital gains taxed at the normal income tax rate.

Note that realizing capital gains adds to your taxable income, so in the above example, that $200 of capital gains counts as income for tax purposes.

There won't be any fees on Vanguards end, but you will have to talk to your current broker to see if hey have any fees for transferring out, or if the funds you are in have any "back end loads" that you have to pay when you sell.

insufFIcientfunds

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 06:46:12 AM »
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/04/021204.asp

Check out Investopedia. They have helped me understand things I may not have in a pretty simple enough way.

Sanitary Stache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2019, 06:36:16 AM »
Thank you @EvenSteven and @insufFIcientfunds !

I appreciate the help.