Author Topic: Best place to learn everything about the stockmarket?  (Read 4855 times)

Hayden1470

Best place to learn everything about the stockmarket?
« on: February 23, 2015, 07:06:40 PM »
Been trying to read up on them quite a bit, although, i haven't really come across a site or anything that i've learnt a lot from, maybe it because i dont understand a few things, if anyone could point me in the right direction or even recommend some books, it would be helpful, thanks!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 07:40:05 PM by Hayden1470 »

Emilyngh

• Pencil Stache
Re: Best place to learn everything about the stockmarket and/or penny stocks?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
Everything I know about penny stocks I learned from Wolf of Wall Street, and what I learned about them was this: stay the hell away.

For investing overall, I'd recommend this: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Category:Investing

Hayden1470

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:06 PM »
Everything I know about penny stocks I learned from Wolf of Wall Street, and what I learned about them was this: stay the hell away.

For investing overall, I'd recommend this: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Category:Investing
Stay away form stocks? or just penny stocks? and also why? i will give the link a read, thanks.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 07:30:59 PM »
Please remove the "or penny stocks."  Penny stocks are one step up from playing the lottery.  Don't take them serious.   There are plenty of people that will tell you how to make money in Penny Stocks.  Watch Wolf of Wall Street, and assume you are always talking to one of his lackeys... because you are.

For investing overall I'm going to second Emily.  Bogleheads would be a good start.  They will also tell you the same thing about Penny Stocks and why to avoid them.

Hayden1470

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 07:41:05 PM »
Please remove the "or penny stocks."  Penny stocks are one step up from playing the lottery.  Don't take them serious.   There are plenty of people that will tell you how to make money in Penny Stocks.  Watch Wolf of Wall Street, and assume you are always talking to one of his lackeys... because you are.

For investing overall I'm going to second Emily.  Bogleheads would be a good start.  They will also tell you the same thing about Penny Stocks and why to avoid them.
Ok thanks, have already watched wolf of wall street, im on Bogleheads but unsure what to read first etc.

MikeBear

• Bristles
Re: Best place to learn everything about the stockmarket?
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 08:00:05 PM »
Start here: http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

Make sure you also read the user comments.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 09:41:09 AM »
Start here: http://jlcollinsnh.com/stock-series/

+1.  Start with that.  Then move to Bogleheads and books.  But read that whole stock series.

And then a second time.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 10:33:38 AM by Heckler »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 01:54:16 PM »
Those all assume a certain amount of prior knowledge. Is there any comprehensive guide that you can give to someone who, for example, doesn't know the difference between a stock and a bond?

user43423

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Deep Value
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 02:41:05 PM »
Seriously, just read all of Buffett's annual shareholders letters. From there, check out some Ben Graham, Phil Fisher, Bogle, Seth Klarmann, etc. That should keep you busy for about a year.

I spent the last year teaching myself finance/accounting, and posted my reading list here if you're interested:

http://www.valueiswhatyouget.com/reading-list/

The list is ordered in the way you should read them, so each book will build upon the one before it.

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 02:47:28 PM »
Or....

Mash the easy button by opening a Vanguard account and putting all your money in the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund.  Do not ever stop putting money in, do not ever remove or rebalance to any other funds.  In 15 years (or however many you need to hit FI) you can optionally start pulling 3-4% a year from your account.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 03:03:31 PM »
Or....

Mash the easy button by opening a Vanguard account and putting all your money in the Vanguard S&P 500 index fund.  Do not ever stop putting money in, do not ever remove or rebalance to any other funds.  In 15 years (or however many you need to hit FI) you can optionally start pulling 3-4% a year from your account.

I'm helping my wife establish investments.  This is the default.  But at some point, it would be good for her to establish her own asset allocation and risk tolerance.  I don't want a crash in 2 years to end in her freaking out and blaming me for losing all her money.

ChrisLansing

• Bristles
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 05:58:23 PM by ChrisLansing »

Sid Hoffman

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 06:33:41 PM »
I don't want a crash in 2 years to end in her freaking out and blaming me for losing all her money.

Well then point #3 is to never ever look at your account balance.  Let it ride and just know that as long as you're in a broad enough index, even the worst crashes do rebound over time.  :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 07:09:38 PM »
I don't want a crash in 2 years to end in her freaking out and blaming me for losing all her money.

Well then point #3 is to never ever look at your account balance.  Let it ride and just know that as long as you're in a broad enough index, even the worst crashes do rebound over time.  :)

Haha, I actually don't think that will be a problem until it's all over the news and she's like "so, what's my balance now?"