Author Topic: Best Investment Simulator  (Read 2317 times)

Secretly Saving

• Bristles
Best Investment Simulator
« on: January 09, 2017, 11:30:07 AM »
I am looking for a recommendation on an investment simulator. 

Situation:
We have a family member who is fully invested with a big name investment company and obviously paying a lot of fees.  Right now they are unwilling to make a huge change over to Vanguard or Fidelity Spartan Class funds, BUT they are willing to hear us out.  I'd like to use a simulator to put their same amount of money that they have invested elsewhere into a virtual 3 fund portfolio that we can track for the next couple of months to a year.  I want to be able to show that the index funds will still make for successful investments AND that the fees over time will really add up.

Any recommendations?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Best Investment Simulator
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2017, 11:38:29 AM »
http://www.begintoinvest.com/expense-ratio-calculator/

This is really good to show differences in the costs.

I'd start by asking what they are currently in then compare it to vtsax. Show them how much they are losing to that. Then show how much more they are losing just in fees.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »

SeattleCPA

• Handlebar Stache
    • Evergreen Small Business
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2017, 12:25:36 PM »
https://www.portfoliovisualizer.com/backtest-portfolio

^ This is my favorite

I like portfoliovisualizer, too. Also firecalc.com and then cfiresim.com. Note that to explore the drag related to fees with firecalc and cfiresim, you need to replace their default expense ratios with whatever you want to measure. What the two "fire" simulators focus attention on is how the fees impact failure rates.