Author Topic: Best Fidelity or TIAA funds?  (Read 4778 times)

Dee18

• Handlebar Stache
Best Fidelity or TIAA funds?
« on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:52 AM »
I am embarrassed to admit it here, but I have been putting my 403 money into
Tiaa Cref guaranteed fund with a 3% return.  I now want to begin putting my monthly pretax contribution into index funds.  The options are Fidelity  and TIAA. Can someone recommend specific funds?  I have other retirement money in Vanguard, for which there have been great discussions here, but that is not an option with my employer.

grantmeaname

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Cast me away from yesterday's things
Re: Best Fidelity or TIAA funds?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 11:52:25 AM »
The Fidelity Spartan series is Fidelity's answer to Vanguard's index funds. They're equally low-expense, and they're probably your best option - honestly, they're just as good as their Vanguard equivalents. Here is the VTSMX/VTSAX competitor, for example. This list has all of the index funds Fidelity offers.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 11:57:03 AM by grantmeaname »

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 11:58:05 AM »
I like the Fidelity Four in One Index Fund, FFNOX.

It is 85% stocks (60% domestic in two funds, 25% international) and 15% bonds.

0.22% expense ratio.

This may be useful for you if you already know your desired AA, to find the best funds to achieve it: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Fidelity
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 08:19:16 PM »
I am embarrassed to admit it here, but I have been putting my 403 money into
Tiaa Cref guaranteed fund with a 3% return.  I now want to begin putting my monthly pretax contribution into index funds.  The options are Fidelity  and TIAA. Can someone recommend specific funds?  I have other retirement money in Vanguard, for which there have been great discussions here, but that is not an option with my employer.

+1 You were saving!  Develop a written asset allocation plan that reflects how you want to balance the rewards of higher returns with their risks.  Bogleheads has a good introduction to investing at: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Bogleheads®_investing_start-up_kit.