Author Topic: Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting  (Read 6857 times)

thedayisbrave

• Pencil Stache
  • CFO @ My Life
Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting
« on: August 14, 2014, 03:06:35 PM »
I don't own Berkshire Hathaway in a brokerage account, but I do have money parked in VTSAX (Vanguard Total Stock) which includes Berkshire Hathaway stock.  My question is, does this make me eligible to attend the annual shareholders meeting, or do I have to own the stock directly in my brokerage account?

Thanks!

crazy jane

• Bristles
Re: Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2014, 03:16:30 PM »
I'm pretty sure you need the stock. B shares are very affordable.

Cheddar Stacker

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »
Yep, B shares.

Go check out 1500days.com

That guy is a buffetthead, if that's a thing. He discusses all this at great length.

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2014, 03:45:48 PM »
B shares are good enough.  We went with the 1500s last year.  Totally worth it. 

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2014, 03:52:51 PM »
Unless there's a minimum number of shares required,  if you really want to go (for some reason) go to Loyal3.com, buy one share at ~$120 and you're set.

strider3700

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 05:31:16 PM »
is there a reason you'd want to go this meeting?

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 10:25:17 AM »
Unlike most corporate shareholder meetings, the Berkshire Hathaway one actually looks pretty cool. They hold it in a big arena, Warren Buffett answers investing questions from the audience, and a bunch of Berkshire's subsidiaries are on hand to answer questions and offer discounts on their products or services. If you live near Omaha and can afford to park $130 or so on a share of an individual stock for a few months toward the beginning of the year, you might want to check it out.

SnpKraklePhyz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 11:11:20 AM »
Woodstock for Capitalists

Mister Fancypants

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 02:37:20 PM »
I've been to the annual meeting years ago before the B shares split. You need to own A or B shares directly.

There are actual also C class which are not publicly traded they are used for employee owned shares in their 401k's. I had a college buddy who worked at Geico and another friend at Cort Furniture rental. I think those might have been partial A shares though. I think once the B shares split with the BNSF purchase they eliminated the C class.

I would like to go again, but am generally not near Omaha that time of year so its really not worth the travel expense. If you own shares and are in the area and can justify the expense it is a cool experience... Very anti-mustachian... they want you to spend money on everything they sell and you need none of it.

But meeting Warren and Charlie is awesome.

-Mister FancyPants

libertarian4321

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2014, 04:32:04 PM »
We've never gone, but someday, if we are ever near Omaha when the meeting is in process, it's going to make good free entertainment! :)

BTW, they put a pretty good summary of the meeting/Buffet's speech in the annual report, for those who can't go to the meeting.

Nords

• Magnum Stache
    • Military Retirement & Financial Independence blog
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2014, 11:56:21 PM »
My question is, does this make me eligible to attend the annual shareholders meeting, or do I have to own the stock directly in my brokerage account?
You have to own at least a "B" share in your name, either directly or in a brokerage account.

Compared to the money you're going to spend getting to/in Omaha, $133 + commission is a minor expense.

I don't even like to go to Waikiki at the peak of visitor season, let alone a football game in a stadium.  I won't be attending a Berkshire Hathaway annual meeting, either.

ltt

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 02:46:20 AM »
We own, I've been.  It's fun (I guess about as fun as any annual meeting can be), but we can only get up to 4 credentials to get in, and there are 6 of us.  It's held at the Century Link/Qwest Center.  They have it in a large arena with a q-and-a session.  I recall the year I went, Bill Gates was sitting down in the front somewhere, also.  They have displays set up downstairs with the products they own.  People also take advantage of the sales at Nebraska Furniture Mart and Borsheims Jewelry that weekend.  Those retail stores are quite a distance from Century Link.  The one thing I like about Berkshire Hathaway and Warren is the philosophy that he does not invest in something that he does not understand--like technology.

Prior to when the 2015 meeting rolls around, go check out e-bay in February, March or early April.  Berkshire and others will normally have some credentials for sale pretty cheap (and I mean cheap) there which will allow you to attend the meeting, if you don't want to buy one share of stock. 

ioseftavi

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2014, 03:02:05 PM »
I work in the industry, and I went via a friend's credentials.  It was great, I'd highly recommend it if you're a fan of Buffett's annual letters to shareholders.  The meeting is like a live-action letter.