Author Topic: Canadians - Anybody with ADHD eligible to RDSP  (Read 2566 times)

max9505672

• Bristles
Canadians - Anybody with ADHD eligible to RDSP
« on: February 25, 2017, 02:40:51 PM »
Hi everybody,

I'm currently 27 y.o. and just been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) without hyperactivity. I've been prescribed meds and still trying to to control the symptoms as well as possible.

I've also recently heard about Registered Disability Savings Plan (RDSP) and was wondering if, as ADHD being recongnized as a mental health disorder, could I be eligible to RDSP?

Anybody here has any personal experience with this? Or in your friends/family? What's needed to apply?

Thanks!

RichMoose

• Pencil Stache
  • RiskManagement
    • The Rich Moose | A Better Canadian Finance Blog
Re: Canadians - Anybody with ADHD eligible to RDSP
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »
I seriously doubt you could participate based on ADD alone. You have to meet the criteria for eligibility of the Disability tax credit. This means a doctor has to explain and sign off on your conditions. The CRA looks for significant restrictions on your ability to perform daily functions. Chances are if you can hold most forms of employment, don't require substantial therapy, can dress yourself, and can tie your own shoes you are not disabled by their definitions.

Many other mental health disorders are also not eligible. Mild or controlled PTSD, anxiety, and depression for example. You can try, but I would say it's a waste of time.

I know a guy that succesfully obtained the DTC status based on cognitive impairment and it was extremely difficult for him to do that. Took years of doctors, therapists, and testing. I believe he ended up being diagnosed with early onset Parkinsons or something like that.

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 01:41:07 AM »
Based on your previous posts, I gotta say I hope youre not eligible for this benefit from my taxes.  Sorry, but disabilities are not to be taken advantage of.  You come across from your post history as very able bodied and of sound mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_Disability_Savings_Plan

Heckler

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 01:42:55 AM »
And Ive got a dyslexic wife and aN ADHD Best Man at oir wedding.  Neither are disabled.

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 11:30:28 AM »
I appreciate your comment, but I think judging one's disability based on previous forum post is a bit judgemental. I admit there's a moral part to this question. Though, I must say that my ADD disgnostic is real and that I've been ''suffering'' from this disorder my whole life. Of course, ''suffering'' is relative.

I also must say that I'm not trying to take advantage of my disability, if such a thing exists. I didn't decide the eligibilty criterias and I don't consider being eligible taking advantage of the system. Of course, if somebody would try to do this with a false diagnostic, that's a whole other thing.

That being said, I'd say that I have pretty mild disorder comparing with other people I know. After a further research, I don't think I would be eligible.

max9505672

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 11:30:51 AM »
I seriously doubt you could participate based on ADD alone. You have to meet the criteria for eligibility of the Disability tax credit. This means a doctor has to explain and sign off on your conditions. The CRA looks for significant restrictions on your ability to perform daily functions. Chances are if you can hold most forms of employment, don't require substantial therapy, can dress yourself, and can tie your own shoes you are not disabled by their definitions.

Many other mental health disorders are also not eligible. Mild or controlled PTSD, anxiety, and depression for example. You can try, but I would say it's a waste of time.

I know a guy that succesfully obtained the DTC status based on cognitive impairment and it was extremely difficult for him to do that. Took years of doctors, therapists, and testing. I believe he ended up being diagnosed with early onset Parkinsons or something like that.
Thanks!