Author Topic: Australian Investing  (Read 4287 times)

willfarb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Australian Investing
« on: August 04, 2012, 05:47:21 PM »
Hullo chaps/chapesses/chaplets,

I live in Australia, and was wondering if anyone knew of anything like an Australian Vanguard. I don't want it to let me invest only in Australian companies or anything silly like that, I'd rather have access to a similar range of funds as the US Vanguard.

Cheers!

AdrianM

• Stubble
Re: Australian Investing
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:11:01 AM »
Hey Mate,

Good to see another Aussie on here.

As to your question
https://www.vanguardinvestments.com.au/au/portal/home.jsp

OR alternately open up an account with the likes of E-Trade in Singapore which will give you access to World markets if that is what you wish.
https://global.etrade.com/sg/en/home

Adrian

willfarb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 05:38:56 AM »
G'day there, thanks for replying!

That was pretty silly of me not to try tacking '.au' on the end of the Vanguard website! I feel wary of investing in Australian shares/property/bonds because Australia is so small (relatively) and therefore more likely to be volatile; although the Australian Vanguard site does allow investing in the broad category of 'International shares'.

What's your opinion on the best way to invest money here? My fear-based instinct is to want to invest in a manner exactly as described in the various MMM articles (which seem easy enough to follow), but I wonder how their instruction translates into Australian :-)

Thanks again!

AdrianM

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 04:16:40 AM »
43% of the ASX:200 is made up of just 6 companies, 4 banks and 2 miners can you guess which ones they are.

I would suggest you just go with the two vanguards funds one in Australia and one in the US. The choice of which I will leave up to you.
Then every payday you just keep buying into those funds.

As the funds grow you can look at diversifying them into bonds or property as opportunities become available.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 06:26:07 PM »
And I work for one of those banks. Search tool is good for something, finally found an Aussie flavoured thread I can reply to.

As an alternative to Vanguard there are a number of ETF's listed on the ASX. The SPDR ASX200 fund (STW) is probably the most well known. For an international flavour search for the iShares series, these funds track various world markets.

CG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 11:02:43 PM »
Please correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Vanguard ETF tracks the ASX 300 rather than the ASX 200 as STW does.

Any ideas about how to maximize franking credits via an ETF? I've been looking at RDV, but are there others?