Author Topic: Australian Investing Thread  (Read 2588817 times)

HowMuchCanAKoalaBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Australian Investing Thread
« Reply #1300 on: August 24, 2015, 08:09:50 PM »
I bought 150 Vas for $66.21 on Friday.  Today, Tuesday the market opened 70 points  down Vas trading at $62.10  I was tempted to buy more 2 hours later  market now up 70 points Vas $64.97!! Got to be quick.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
    • Financially Free Australia
« Reply #1301 on: August 24, 2015, 08:17:50 PM »
I bought 150 Vas for $66.21 on Friday.  Today, Tuesday the market opened 70 points  down Vas trading at $62.10  I was tempted to buy more 2 hours later  market now up 70 points Vas $64.97!! Got to be quick.
yeah, seems like there's some cash coming off the sidelines today....

The Falcon

• Stubble
« Reply #1302 on: August 24, 2015, 09:10:34 PM »

"When the earnings are stalling
There'll be days like this
When the markets are falling
When the brokers are calling
Yeah my mamma told me, there'll be days like this"

(With apologies to Van Morrison)

Very good Marty :)

BuyInGloom

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1303 on: August 25, 2015, 03:30:18 AM »
hi Buyingloom (timely name!), not sure about others but when I suggest 50/50 is for a simple approach - two fund index portfolio. For "lazy" investors that want to cover global equities efficiently and easily. I think if you're actively investing in direct shares, then definitely you need to weigh up the individual companies and construct the portfolio accordingly. Agree theoretically geographical revenue and margin drivers are what's important. But pragmatically the index funds are based on domicile so that is what people will tend to use in an applied sense. hope it helps.

Yes it does! Seeing as I hold a few individual stocks as well as index funds, I plan to calculate the geographical revenue of each of my holdings (including the index funds) to see where my allocation lies. My starting point will be something around 75/25 International/Australian shares as that seems like a nice balance between replicating the actual Australian market cap, while taking advantage of the tax efficiences of investing domestically.
I encourage anyone with individual stocks to consider the implications of using domicile to calculate your Australian/International share allocation as you may find that your desired allocation is quite a ways off from your real world allocation. 

I think that thinking in terms of geography isn't the best way to consider Australian shares / international shares split. With indexing, the approach is to avoid selecting stocks and simply attempting to capture the entire market returns. The Australian market is a very small slice of the entire market, therefore one should give it a smaller weighting vs international. That's the basic premise.

Yeah, if you’re purely indexing then looking at the geographic revenue of the the index fund held is an uneccesary complication. However, if you hold some individual stocks then it’s definitely worth taking a look at where they earn their income, as even if the stock is domiciled in Australia it can be earning 90%+ of it’s income from overseas.

gogo419

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1304 on: August 25, 2015, 05:51:48 AM »
I know its a bit out of place asking in this area of the forum... But i am wanting my question to be seen by aussies.

Do any of you own commercial property?

Looking to make an investment into some in the near future and was hoping someone might be able to provide some pointers other than the non obvious things..

Cheers gogo

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1305 on: August 25, 2015, 05:53:54 AM »
I know its a bit out of place asking in this area of the forum... But i am wanting my question to be seen by aussies.

Do any of you own commercial property?

Looking to make an investment into some in the near future and was hoping someone might be able to provide some pointers other than the non obvious things..

Cheers gogo

go to www.propertchat.com.au (the new Somersoft)

they'll help.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1306 on: August 25, 2015, 06:01:15 AM »
damn bipolar markets. don't know what the frack they want to do.

sorely tempted to restructure my non-deductible property debt into deductible investment debt (place the offset funds into the loan and reborrow)

Take the proceeds ($250k) and dump it into VAS, VEU and VTS. Too bloody paralysed with fear to do it.

Then I ask, if not now then when?

AustralianMustachio

• Stubble
« Reply #1307 on: August 25, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »
damn bipolar markets. don't know what the frack they want to do.

sorely tempted to restructure my non-deductible property debt into deductible investment debt (place the offset funds into the loan and reborrow)

Take the proceeds ($250k) and dump it into VAS, VEU and VTS. Too bloody paralysed with fear to do it.

Then I ask, if not now then when?

Can you do it slowly, using a dollar cost averaging approach? Then you don't have to worry if it's the "right time"

Despite what some people say about the downsides of this, I feel like an automated consistent approach is the perfect antidote to all the emotional crap that goes into investing

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1308 on: August 25, 2015, 05:28:50 PM »
Yeah ive had the similar thoughts executing in this choppy market. Brought me back to past debates on wholesale funds vs etfs. Think its much easier to pull the trigger when you contribute via bppay and just accept closing prices. Promotes better discipline and adherence to asset allocation. Watching live prices for any extended period is a recipe for disaster/indecision.

AustralianMustachio

• Stubble
« Reply #1309 on: August 25, 2015, 08:38:41 PM »
Yeah ive had the similar thoughts executing in this choppy market. Brought me back to past debates on wholesale funds vs etfs. Think its much easier to pull the trigger when you contribute via bppay and just accept closing prices. Promotes better discipline and adherence to asset allocation. Watching live prices for any extended period is a recipe for disaster/indecision.

This is my exact thoughts and what actually draws me to unlisted funds over ETFs. Save a certain amount each month, and just invest it in the fund via BPAY or and ETF.

And any time you have some more spare cash than usual, just throw it in there and forget about it.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1310 on: August 26, 2015, 04:14:44 PM »
Are we in for a good day today? Dow up 4%...

Got my entitlements letter from CBA in the mail yesterday. Get to top up a grand total of 3 shares. haha.

HowMuchCanAKoalaBear

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1311 on: August 26, 2015, 07:39:35 PM »
Vas $67.09 today , up and down she goes.

I've also got some CBA rights you can sell them on market but not worth it for you with brokerage at $20  if you let them lapse they will send you the cash equivalent. Not going to bother with the top up they can send me the cash.

TJEH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1312 on: August 26, 2015, 08:40:19 PM »

This is my exact thoughts and what actually draws me to unlisted funds over ETFs. Save a certain amount each month, and just invest it in the fund via BPAY or and ETF.

And any time you have some more spare cash than usual, just throw it in there and forget about it.

I'm renown for procrastination and over analysis, so it would probably be a good solution for me.  Having said that, I settled on a plan recently and have been sticking to my guns, purchasing vas, vts and veu this month as per the plan. Discipline can be a good thing, let's see how I go with it as I DCA in over the coming months....

Grogounet

• Bristles
    • http://www.quest2independence.com
« Reply #1313 on: August 27, 2015, 06:01:38 AM »
re registering to the thread... not receiving them for some reason...

AustralianMustachio

• Stubble
« Reply #1314 on: August 27, 2015, 10:31:27 PM »
Fun little interactive game which shows how hard it can be to time the market:

http://qz.com/487013/this-game-will-show-you-just-how-foolish-it-is-to-sell-stocks-right-now/

Sparkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stealthsprinter
« Reply #1315 on: August 29, 2015, 08:49:26 PM »
I'm also finding the BPay option good. I just chuck in $5k a month into the Vanguard wholesale fund regardless of price. Even though this month was cheaper, it still felt wrong buying something that is getting cheaper. Knowing I'm mental and working around it is working so far!

Aussiegirl

• Stubble
« Reply #1316 on: August 31, 2015, 04:23:02 PM »
Sparkle - what investment platform do you use that you can essentially Dollar cost average into Vanguard using bpay?

Sparkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stealthsprinter
« Reply #1317 on: August 31, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »
Sparkle - what investment platform do you use that you can essentially Dollar cost average into Vanguard using bpay?

Hi Aussiegirl. I use the Commbank app on my phone to Bpay directly into my Vanguard account, which is a wholesale fund. The wholesale funds need $100k to open, and then there's no minimum bpay amount (i think). 

I chose wholesale as it is made up of etf's I'd buy anyway, rebalanced for me, which I probably wouldn't do due to being too 'emotional'. I know to buy low and sell high etc, but i was surprised how hard it is to actually do with money in the game. I pay a higher fee for this convenience (0.36%) but its worth it to me.

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1318 on: August 31, 2015, 06:32:06 PM »
Any opinions on VAS vs VHY at current prices?

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1319 on: August 31, 2015, 07:04:31 PM »
my opinion already known I guess. prefer VAS. more diversification, lower cost. and some apprehensions on the VHY portfolio selection algorithm. at current prices, VHY might be more reasonable than it was, as the "search for yield" bubble has deflated somewhat, and several of the ASX20 (in which VHY is more concentrated) have corrected substantially.

edit to add : i consider VAS already "high yield" at 5% now and with franking credits on top. of course, more is always desireable so I understand why there's a captive market for VHY, but remember there are no free lunches (it comes at a cost/risk).
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 07:08:49 PM by FFA »

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1320 on: August 31, 2015, 09:43:03 PM »
Thanks FFA. Logically the search-for-yield bubble shouldn't have deflated as rates haven't increased so I can only think it's institutions punishing firms for their disappointing dividends and profit-taking.

For what it's worth, VHY is down 13% over the last three months. VAS 8%, VSO 12%.

AusFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1321 on: September 01, 2015, 03:14:58 AM »
Hi everyone,

I have been following the thread for a while now, thank you for all of your contributions! 

Can someone please clarify for me the situation around Australians purchasing individual international shares (mainly US), specifically if there is a way to participate in dividend reinvestment plans.  From what I gather all dividends are automatically paid in cash (+/- currency conversion).  I am interested in purchasing some specific stocks and letting them compound away for a couple of decades, DRPs would make that much easier.  If its all too hard I might just have to stick to indexes!

Many thanks for your responses. 

DrowsyBee

• Bristles
« Reply #1322 on: September 01, 2015, 05:33:22 PM »
Do many individual US stocks actually pay dividends?

Rustycage

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1323 on: September 01, 2015, 07:09:23 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have been following the thread for a while now, thank you for all of your contributions! 

Can someone please clarify for me the situation around Australians purchasing individual international shares (mainly US), specifically if there is a way to participate in dividend reinvestment plans.  From what I gather all dividends are automatically paid in cash (+/- currency conversion).  I am interested in purchasing some specific stocks and letting them compound away for a couple of decades, DRPs would make that much easier.  If its all too hard I might just have to stick to indexes!

Forgetting the "specific stocks" part for a second (can't really help there), you could invest in something like Vanguard's VGS (world ex Australia ETF). Has a DRP option, and has most of its exposure in the USA anyway. Would make things a bit easier at tax time also.

AusFIRE

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1324 on: September 01, 2015, 08:21:37 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I was expecting a little flak for the individual stock thing in this forum! 

I intend to have most of my investments in ETFs/Vanguard wholesale, but I was interested in having a few direct holdings (probably consumer staple type companies eg: CL, KO, JNJ etc and maybe some XOM and/or CVX)  all of which have long histories of paying dividends and good long term compound growth.  I just feel a bit wary of too much exposure to (what I think) are expensive stocks in companies that may not even exist in 20 years time. 

I think you are right about VGS, it certainly would be the most time/tax efficient method - I was just hoping that their might be a way to have some direct holdings allowing for automatic reinvestment - it may just be too difficult and not worth it.

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1325 on: September 01, 2015, 11:05:23 PM »
Thanks for the replies, I was expecting a little flak for the individual stock thing in this forum! 

I intend to have most of my investments in ETFs/Vanguard wholesale, but I was interested in having a few direct holdings (probably consumer staple type companies eg: CL, KO, JNJ etc and maybe some XOM and/or CVX)  all of which have long histories of paying dividends and good long term compound growth.  I just feel a bit wary of too much exposure to (what I think) are expensive stocks in companies that may not even exist in 20 years time. 

I think you are right about VGS, it certainly would be the most time/tax efficient method - I was just hoping that their might be a way to have some direct holdings allowing for automatic reinvestment - it may just be too difficult and not worth it.

My experience dealing with Blackrock has been so bad that I'm reluctant to suggest it but if you're determined to get US consumer staples then the easiest way is via the Blackrock ETF "IXI." I looked into it for a while but AUDUSD would have to rise to about 0.95 in order for me to see value.

The other option is via LIC GFL (http://www.globalmastersfund.com.au/) who have large exposure to Berkshire Hathaway, who in turn hold several of those companies above.

Note that both of these options incur significant management fees, especially when compared with buying shares directly. But there's a lot less hassle, just purchase via the ASX.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1326 on: September 01, 2015, 11:19:12 PM »
You could always buy something like Berkshire Hathaway, who own a lot of these types of business, but reinvest profits internally?  I've started adding this to my US exposure via BRK-B.  Avoids the need to do the dividend reinvestment personally and deals with a lot of tax issues...

dungoofed

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1327 on: September 02, 2015, 10:10:59 AM »
Yet another option would be just to go completely local. CCL, BGA, GNC would give you a fair cross-section of global income streams from consumer staples. Maybe SHV, TGR, TWE. Also WES and WOW, although these guys are a bit conglomerate-y to call them a pure consumer staples play. And Metcash, the logistics firm operating in this space (if you can get past the CEO compensation, that is).

The Falcon

• Stubble
« Reply #1328 on: September 02, 2015, 07:58:51 PM »
Hi everyone,

I've got US direct holdings including JNJ, WMT, CVX, NSRGY, PM, BRKB, MKL to name a few. Will be adding ULVR and perhaps PG in the future too. No DRP available though, just get the cash back. That's ok, as you can just buy additional holdings........more clunky than DRP though that's for sure.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 08:03:31 PM by The Falcon »

The Falcon

• Stubble
« Reply #1329 on: September 02, 2015, 08:02:30 PM »
Yet another option would be just to go completely local. CCL, BGA, GNC would give you a fair cross-section of global income streams from consumer staples. Maybe SHV, TGR, TWE. Also WES and WOW, although these guys are a bit conglomerate-y to call them a pure consumer staples play. And Metcash, the logistics firm operating in this space (if you can get past the CEO compensation, that is).

Geez some woofers in this mix. Much more a stock pickers portfolio with still large Oz bias....certainly not proxy for Unilever, PepsiCo, Coke, Nestle, Philip Morris, Procter and Gamble and Johnson and Johnson for example.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1330 on: September 02, 2015, 09:49:39 PM »

I've got US direct holdings including JNJ, WMT, CVX, NSRGY, PM, BRKB, MKL to name a few. Will be adding ULVR and perhaps PG in the future too. No DRP available though, just get the cash back. That's ok, as you can just buy additional holdings........more clunky than DRP though that's for sure.

How do these direct international holdings work tax wise?  I assume you have a W8-BEN?  Do your dividends get paid into an AU account at the spot rate?  I keep meaning to hold some direct US stock, but to date have just used cross listed ETFs or BRK (with no dividend to deal with).

misterhorsey

• Bristles
« Reply #1331 on: September 03, 2015, 12:40:39 AM »

Metcash, LOL.  I'm down -73.9% on my small holding.  Or -56% when you take into account dividends (which are suspended for the forseeable).

I'm hoping in vain for Aldi to buy Metcash but they won't cos they do it cheaper and more efficiently than metcash can it seems. 

Metcash and some others was my signal to start the shift fully into indexes!

MsRichLife

• Pencil Stache
    • Living My Rich Life
« Reply #1332 on: September 03, 2015, 02:30:48 AM »
Anyone feeling Bearish yet?  I'm holding tight to the nice income producing portion of my portfolio and my hedging positions (GOLD and USD) are doing Ok, but I'm starting to look into adding an additional hedge through the purchase of BEAR ETF.

Having lived and lost through the GFC, I know I won't be doing that again so close to FIRE.

Anyone else thinking this way?

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1333 on: September 03, 2015, 03:44:01 AM »
Morgan Stanley thinks the ASX is heading for 4200... however thats probably just the calls from perpetual-harbinger-of-doom Gerard Minack getting louder.

One of these days he'll be right.

I'm not happy seeing my numbers go down, and I think they'll go down more as well. However round about December I'll be in a position to buy again, so would be relatively pleased if the ASX hovers around 5000 till then.

FY15 (year ended 30 Sep) reporting for ANZ, WBC and NAB in early November will be an exceptionally enlightening insight into the state of the economy.

We already know that GDP growth has collapsed to just 0.2% and real GDP growth per person is negative. Should show up as as a pick-up in bad debts in the bank results.

Bad consumer spending numbers released today saw the market fall, despite the positive lead from Wall Street.

Rob_S

• Stubble
« Reply #1334 on: September 03, 2015, 05:52:03 AM »
FY15 (year ended 30 Sep) reporting for ANZ, WBC and NAB in early November will be an exceptionally enlightening insight into the state of the economy.

We already know that GDP growth has collapsed to just 0.2% and real GDP growth per person is negative. Should show up as as a pick-up in bad debts in the bank results.

But unemployment is still at an OK level yeah? And interest rates remain low. I can't see bad debts hurting bank results yet. I think the beat up on the banks is a bit overdone as they continue to pay good dividends.

Either way I am OK with the banks getting hammered as I am dollar value averaging in during the slump. Looks like a buying opportunity for those accumulating.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1335 on: September 03, 2015, 06:06:15 AM »
Call me a perma-bull, but I'm seeing value at these levels and am buying semi-aggressively.  My win for the month has been getting my partner, who is a good saver but not much of an investor to start accumulating a few stocks at these valuations too.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1336 on: September 03, 2015, 07:50:03 AM »
I've been buying up too the past few weeks. In my case perhaps a bit easier as I'm underinvested anyway, was slowly averaging a lump sum over a year or two (this plan set in Apr'15 when markets were just to dear in my opinion).  At these levels though, I see no reason to take it slow and am keen to at least get to my target AA pronto. If it slumps further I will just stick to the plan and re-balance in further....

ynotme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1337 on: September 03, 2015, 08:24:37 AM »
I'm feeling comfortable holding my current portfolio even if it goes lower.

I'm reluctant to buy more VAS as I started buying in 2013 and I haven't seen any capital growth yet. It is tempting to average down but just waiting and seeing at the moment. I have a few individual shares I also have my eye on.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1338 on: September 03, 2015, 08:32:56 AM »
Morgan Stanley thinks the ASX is heading for 4200... however thats probably just the calls from perpetual-harbinger-of-doom Gerard Minack getting louder.
if it slumps that far and interest rates are still here or lower, then I might be joining bigchris, potm etc in the margin loan club !!

Sparkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stealthsprinter
« Reply #1339 on: September 03, 2015, 07:47:05 PM »
Morgan Stanley thinks the ASX is heading for 4200...

Personally, i think thats a bit optimistic. Australia's economy is commodity based, and that party's over for now. And we couldn't even get out of that boom with money in the bank. Financial services and swapping houses with each other won't cut it as a replacement.

The rest of the world will decide how low we go. With the huge disconnect between actual economies and their respective indices, I just cant see how QE, zero /negative interest rates etc can sustain the markets. We may have attracted some international money in the past due to China's boom and our commodities, but that'll dry up in the near future.

I'll still DCA in as there's little alternative.  But I wouldn't be surprised to see the Asx start with a 3 within the next 18 months, even with a melt up after QE4 and beyond.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1340 on: September 03, 2015, 08:55:06 PM »
I guess this is why its called a market - at any given point in time there are buyers and sellers. 

My personal take is that there is so much money washing around at the moment, and so few places for it to go.  Case in point - the Australian super sector now has more funds to manage than the entire AUS market capitalisation! 

Certainly agree about a bit of potential gloom around the AUS economy - but isn't that already priced in - major resources have lost 50% of share price, banks 30%. Our currency has collapsed almost 40% against the USD.  That would seem to have priced in a pretty severe contraction.  My personal view is that there is a bit of a margin of safety in AU stocks at the moment if taking a long term view. 

The fall in the AUD means that my international stocks have been doing comparatively well, so I've been topping up the AU stocks in a bit of portfolio balancing.

Sparkie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Stealthsprinter
« Reply #1341 on: September 03, 2015, 09:08:22 PM »
I just don't think mainstream Aus is factoring in the global context. The fact that the US can't even raise interest rates 0.25% without potentially collapsing world markets concerns me a bit. But who knows. Predicting the future is hard!

We've seen some sector drops as you say, but the index as a whole is not too bad, so i still think there's some panic seling to come if the asx drops some more. I guess we keep plodding, assessing the risks/rewards as we see fit. As long as we all make decisions we can sleep well with at night with, then no harm done.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1342 on: September 03, 2015, 10:09:47 PM »
I've been worried about the global economy and dependence on unconventional monetary policy for 2-3 years now... I somewhat gave up on these concerns in the past year as it just seems to be endemic. you could be right, who knows. I just look at Mr Buffett.... stay calm and carry on investing !

The Falcon

• Stubble
« Reply #1343 on: September 03, 2015, 10:25:22 PM »

How do these direct international holdings work tax wise?  I assume you have a W8-BEN?  Do your dividends get paid into an AU account at the spot rate?  I keep meaning to hold some direct US stock, but to date have just used cross listed ETFs or BRK (with no dividend to deal with).

Yep, completed W8-BEN. Divis are paid into USD account.

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1344 on: September 03, 2015, 10:32:39 PM »
Any views on WOW pls...

- New management can turn it around, deal with Masters fiasco, recover gap with Coles and fend off Aldi/Costco ?
- Or all the above is too much to deal with and it's a Sell ???

The Falcon

• Stubble
« Reply #1345 on: September 03, 2015, 11:00:24 PM »
Any views on WOW pls...

- New management can turn it around, deal with Masters fiasco, recover gap with Coles and fend off Aldi/Costco ?

I am holding but putting it in the bottom drawer. I think it can be turned but will take a few years.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1346 on: September 03, 2015, 11:08:46 PM »
Any views on WOW pls...

I am holding but putting it in the bottom drawer. I think it can be turned but will take a few years.

I'm the same.  I've got a holding in WOW.  I've ticked the DRP box, and am just letting it sit there.  Not expecting anything to happen quickly on its turn around!

FFA

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1347 on: September 03, 2015, 11:29:14 PM »
Thanks both. I'm doing some tidy up to sell a few direct holdings and swap into VAS/IOZ, and keep changing my mind about whether to keep WOW or not. I am quite bearish on near prospects, but also a bit hard to let it go.

Coming back to the topic of correction vs crash, I also feel the share market looks just too attractive versus property/cash/FI at the moment (and Int. shares too for that matter, after AUD is back to six year low and ASX has fallen much further than other indices). If it falls another 20-25 %, then even more the case. Of course, if we have GFC II then it's another story. Everything is more dicey nowadays in the event of unexpected crisis since all the levers are already pulled. But personally i'm not going to put my investment plans on hold for this.

The other scenario locally, as has been discussed is property mkt collapse and knock-on effect to ASX. It has been talked for decades but never really happened. A correction though is perhaps to be expected in some of the more frothy cities.

The Falcon

• Stubble
« Reply #1348 on: September 04, 2015, 12:11:19 AM »
Personally I am currently reducing margin LVR from low 40s to low 30s. I am staying fully invested and will keep buying as cash inflows are received. But, I will be holding LVRs to low 30s with LOC/Credit on hand to quickly take LVR to low 20s if need be.

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1349 on: September 04, 2015, 12:30:20 AM »
I usually dislike Gittin's writings as a bit too socialist/leftist for my taste.  However, an interesting write-up from him on the current state of the AU economy.
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/the-economy/economy-is-neither-wonderful-nor-woeful-20150904-gjezib.html