Author Topic: Asset Allocation Miles?  (Read 2805 times)

Lowerbills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Asset Allocation Miles?
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:33:06 AM »
Hi Miles,

I read in the thread "Emerging Markets" your statement "As you know in my retirement accounts I've been 100% short term treasuries since 9/1/15".  You also mentioned in the same post that you have exposure to emerging markets, but "only in my taxable".

I'm not trying to single you out or criticize, just genuinely curious.

What were your reasons for going to 100% short term treasuries.  Can you explain please?

What is your AA in your taxable accounts?  Why EM in taxable, but not in retirement accounts?

What would make you move from short-term treasuries back into equities?

Thanks

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: Asset Allocation Miles?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 09:06:04 AM »

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:05 AM »
If you read that thread a ways in his DM trigger told him to move to short term treasuries on 9/1.   He only uses the DM strategy in his retirement account. I would guess so he doesn't have to worry about reporting trades to taxes but I'll let Miles answer that or maybe he is just experimenting with it.  In a taxable you would have more control of Tax Loss Harvesting when you wanted to instead of when your DM triggered a trade.

forummm

• Walrus Stache
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2015, 10:10:43 AM »
If you read that thread a ways in his DM trigger told him to move to short term treasuries on 9/1.   He only uses the DM strategy in his retirement account. I would guess so he doesn't have to worry about reporting trades to taxes but I'll let Miles answer that or maybe he is just experimenting with it.  In a taxable you would have more control of Tax Loss Harvesting when you wanted to instead of when your DM triggered a trade.
Yes, he does it in tax-advantaged so he doesn't have capital gains taxes to pay.

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2015, 10:21:01 AM »
I thought this thread was going to be about somehow trying to use frequent flyer miles as an asset in your asset allocation. Or something that that effect.

I was quite disappointed ;)

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2015, 12:10:57 PM »
I thought this thread was going to be about somehow trying to use frequent flyer miles as an asset in your asset allocation. Or something that that effect.

I was quite disappointed ;)

That thought crossed my mind as well lol.

Lowerbills

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2015, 02:08:05 PM »
Ha! Yes, perhaps a better title would be less misleading.

Alright, I'll go dig through and read the links from the DM thread...  I'll admit to being lazy and not wanting to read a 16-page thread. 

The Bogleheads Three Fund approach first appealed to me a couple years ago due to its simplicity.  And I'll admit, when I hear fancy words, momentum and out-performance, I usually tend to tune out.

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Asset Allocation Miles?
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 12:29:24 AM »
Lowerbills, sorry.  My answer was a little bit "inside baseball"

Because we've spent so much time going back and forth in the DM thread, Sol and I have a pretty good handle on each other's asset allocations.

I do use dual momentum in my retirement accounts for tax efficiency, but I do not necessarily advocate for others to do the same. One way to think about DM is that instead of being 30% bonds all of the time, as in buy and hold, I am 100% bonds 30% of the time (and all stocks the rest of the time.)

Needless to say low cost buy and hold is a smart way to invest, and I do use that approach personally in my taxable accounts.

I was in no way suggesting that 100% short bonds is a smart asset allocation!

Sorry for the confusion.