Author Topic: Asian investing  (Read 1179 times)

tsukuba

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Asian investing
« on: January 01, 2021, 01:32:14 AM »
Hi,
For years, and then again lately now associated with SARS-CoV2 and the faster reopening of China than the rest of world, I have been reading that the Chinese economy is growing faster and will dominate in size over the USA. 

Any experts here in Asian investing, especially for the long term (I realize there has been quite a pop in equity prices recently)?

Any recommendations, both general or specific?

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 01:41:49 AM by tsukuba »

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Asian investing
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 03:07:37 AM »
Asia is the world's most populous and an incredibly diverse continent. The numbers coming from China's economists are generally not to be trusted. I've lived in Asia - including a decade in Greater China - for 17 years, and my Hong Kong MPF (similar to 401K) is typically equally split between N. American, Asian, and world ETFs. Asian investing can be volatile as with any growing economy where figures can be suspect. Proceed with caution.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 04:00:48 AM »
The term Sovereign Risk gets thrown around far too loosely these days in the West.

But what happens in the East is on a whole new level entirely.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 08:14:06 AM »
Forget any specific event.  If you want to think about the likelihood or extent to which Asia will become pre-eminent in world affairs, think about this:

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 08:37:19 AM »
International and Emerging Markets is one of the few areas where I invest in active mutual funds.

Instead of going on about the reasons why, this podcast episode from Money Tree Investing sums up my thoughts.

I expect those markets to grow exponentially more over the next decade thanks to their population, emerging technology, and access to cryptocurrencies and am investing in some emerging market funds accordingly. 

tsukuba

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2021, 02:40:08 AM »
Thanks all for your replies.
I am liking emqq, MATFX, and FSEAX

tsukuba

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2021, 10:40:45 AM »
Although, it is a double take when reading Jack Ma/Alibaba has gone missing, attributed at this time to the iron hand of the CCP.