Author Topic: Are we at the beginning of a depression?  (Read 25392 times)

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
Re: Are we at the beginning of a depression?
« Reply #200 on: October 04, 2021, 06:34:29 AM »
While it's pretty clear that the parties to the wager are both satisfied, I'm a bit relieved to see people arguing the official death toll is too low. Feels like a bunch of people around me (both spatially, and via social media) still think the whole COVID thing is no big deal, and should have something like the flu death toll of 30,000-75,000.

we could get to that number if people would take the vaccine currently 76% of the US has at least had 1 shot so that's higher than I'd expect.  Biden's mandate looks to have precedence so that should get us into the mid to high 80s.   Basically hardcore precovid antivaxxers are all you have left after they have to deal with losing their job.  See Delta airlines.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #201 on: October 04, 2021, 08:25:15 AM »
I am contemplating a work trip to a city about 400 miles away, and it just seems like flying is a mess right now, I found a deal on a rental car, and I'm just going to drive it. I don't enjoy doing the driving myself (when it could be a professional flying a plane), but airlines seem like they're having trouble staying on schedule, and I would like to not worry about the other people on the plane proving they're constitutional prowess.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #202 on: October 04, 2021, 08:57:53 AM »
I am contemplating a work trip to a city about 400 miles away, and it just seems like flying is a mess right now, I found a deal on a rental car, and I'm just going to drive it. I don't enjoy doing the driving myself (when it could be a professional flying a plane), but airlines seem like they're having trouble staying on schedule, and I would like to not worry about the other people on the plane proving they're constitutional prowess.

i currently have 2 rountrips to maui booked on top of each other incase one changes and i dont like the new flights.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #203 on: October 04, 2021, 09:09:42 AM »
I feel like a minnow swimming among whales.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #204 on: October 04, 2021, 09:12:16 AM »
I feel like a minnow swimming among whales.

Huh?

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #205 on: October 04, 2021, 10:05:48 AM »

i currently have 2 rountrips to maui booked on top of each other incase one changes and i dont like the new flights.

Under what conditions would you re-book one of these so as not to burn the trip?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #206 on: October 04, 2021, 10:19:10 AM »

Under what conditions would you re-book one of these so as not to burn the trip?

I'm not sure i understand what you're asking. 

I have a one way on american to hawaii booked and a one way on southwest booked the same day
I have delta and southwest booked to return on the same day.

These are all booked with points and i get all my points back if i cancel any of the flights.  currently both southwest flights are most favorable if they dont change.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #207 on: October 04, 2021, 12:48:10 PM »
being able to costlessly exit the itineraries seems like a Nice use of the points...

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #208 on: October 04, 2021, 06:50:56 PM »
being able to costlessly exit the itineraries seems like a Nice use of the points...

This used to be my loophole on Southwest all the time.  A refundable ticket was like $200-400 but a non-refundable ticket was like $50-100 in points (Wanna Get Away fare over three weeks in advance).  Cancel the points ticket, points back no questions asked

Of course Southwest had a decent fare bank for canceled non-refundable flights but it was kind of a pain to manage because I had to keep track of old reservation numbers.