Author Topic: Are There Good Fidelity ETFs, As Opposed To Mutual Funds  (Read 1399 times)

stashing_it

• Stubble
Are There Good Fidelity ETFs, As Opposed To Mutual Funds
« on: July 05, 2019, 01:51:58 PM »
I have most of my money in Vanguard mutual funds and ETFs.   However I recently decided it would make sense to open a second account at another institution to hedge against risk of
- hacking
- freezing of assets
- computer going down
etc.

(note, I understand this risk is small,  I just figured opening a second account was a free hedge)

However,  I'm no longer sure that this second account is a Free hedge.  Specifically, I know that Vanguard mutual funds are uniquely tax advantaged due to their dual ETF structure.   i.e. Fidelity mutual funds will incur higher taxes during a typical year.   

I figured I would solve this by simply buying the ETF equivalent.   However I can't find them, and now think that they don't exist.   

So my question is, is there a Fidelity equivalent of VTI  (etf)   and a fidelity equivalent of a good international ETF

i.e. FSKAX is the equivalent of VTSAX,  but FSKAX is tax disadvantaged relative to VTSAX,  so is there an equivalent of VTI ?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
Re: Are There Good Fidelity ETFs, As Opposed To Mutual Funds
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2019, 02:31:25 PM »
Fido has tilt/factor ETFs. Schwab might be more what you're looking for. Check out SCHB.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2019, 03:29:58 PM »
Fidelity has free trades of many iShares ETFs. ITOT. Likewise, Schwab has many ETFs of its own, plus free trades of many others.

stashing_it

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2019, 03:46:18 PM »
Fidelity has free trades of many iShares ETFs. ITOT. Likewise, Schwab has many ETFs of its own, plus free trades of many others.

Thanks!

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2019, 04:28:35 PM »

Thanks!

Right, Fidelity doesn't have their own worthwhile ETFs that I'm aware of, but many good iShares ETFs trade commission free. IXUS is a good international option. IVV, IEFA, IDEV, and IEMG can be useful for tax loss harvesting purposes if you need to stay out of ITOT and IXUS to avoid a wash sale.