Author Topic: Anyone jump on the GoPro IPO?  (Read 8407 times)

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
Anyone jump on the GoPro IPO?
« on: June 27, 2014, 09:14:45 AM »
I dont recommend ipos, but started through loyal3 to get the cc points.  (Asked for $750, alotted $156 due to demand)  Up 30% yesterday and 20% so far today.  I also believe gopro has good potential.

Curious if anyone else jumped on this one.  Debating on holding long term or selling still....  id like to wait, but am also happy to take 50%!

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
Re: Anyone jump on the GoPro IPO?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 09:21:05 AM »
I put in for 3500.  Allocated about 600$.

Selling today.

cowstash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 09:23:39 AM »
I requested $100 and got it. I'm up $62 and will probably sell today too.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 10:35:57 AM »
Sold.  Im out.  Who knows where it will go from here.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 10:51:35 AM »
I am watching it but it did not conform to any of my breakout systems so I'm leaving it alone. If it bases for a little while and breaks out from that, I may bite a little. For every IPO that does well, there's at least 5 that go nowhere but down. I've never bought an IPO on the day it was offered.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 11:13:10 AM »
Crap how did I not know about this website? I'm a GoPro fan and would have loved to get into the IPO action for GoPro!

AssetGrinder

• Stubble
    • Asset-Grinder Finance Blog
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 11:56:16 AM »
 IPOS are often a bad bet. Not really investing but gambling. Trading at over 75 p/e is pretty ridiculous. This is a very niche market for their products. Th eprice now is all hype and deeply overvalues according to their fundamentals.

But hey its a gamble. As long as you are not holding the bag in the end u should be good. If u r in, it would be wise to take profits and run. Def not a long ter, hold. At $36 right now it would be a better short stock when the hype dies!

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 01:24:35 PM »
IPOS are often a bad bet. Not really investing but gambling. Trading at over 75 p/e is pretty ridiculous. This is a very niche market for their products. Th eprice now is all hype and deeply overvalues according to their fundamentals.

But hey its a gamble. As long as you are not holding the bag in the end u should be good. If u r in, it would be wise to take profits and run. Def not a long ter, hold. At $36 right now it would be a better short stock when the hype dies!

It's true that expectations are high but that doesn't mean the stock can't go much, much higher. I'm sure folks thought Yahoo was retardly overpriced in 1997 at 900x earnings. Yet it eventually went to 1700x earnings and shares went up almost 8,000% before the bubble burst. Don't bet against momentum until it's run it's course.

AssetGrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 05:05:33 PM »

It's true that expectations are high but that doesn't mean the stock can't go much, much higher. I'm sure folks thought Yahoo was retardly overpriced in 1997 at 900x earnings. Yet it eventually went to 1700x earnings and shares went up almost 8,000% before the bubble burst. Don't bet against momentum until it's run it's course.

I am not disagreeing with u at all. Stock could grow 100 times its value for all we know. Momentum should not be the only factor while gambling on GPRO. It has a very limited growth potential as the its product is limted. If I was going to speculate a company producing products with over 75 p/e it sure wouldnt be one just making video cameras. The better speculative bet would be on 3d printing with a much bigger potential upside. GPRO only getting hype cause its IPO is new and people jump on bandwagons all day. Mostly in part of the media.

I am just saying it is extremely risky for a non proven company with little earnings and limited upside. That doesn't mean u cant make money on the stock. Could easily double or triple within the year. But for every Yahoo there are 10 dogs.

In the book Random walk down wallstreet they say new IPOs in history have underperformed the stock market by 4% over 5 year terms. IPOS generally trade over their IPO price for the first 6 months but quickly fall to initial IPO price. Take for example Twitter, They shot up like a rocket and shot down just as fast and recently was trading at below the IPO price many months later.

I think investing in good solid companies with a good history is a good idea. But trading into something that is very hard to predict is just gambling. How far do u think GOpro can really grow to? End of the day its abut the business and selling small video cameras to a small niched demographic is extremely limiting.  They would have to double there business 3 years in a row to justify todays share price even.

But GOPRO may make a great short term investment. Most people think they can beat the market with their selective stock picks but the fact is most dont.

Warren Buffett on IPOs
May 18, 2012

“It’s almost a mathematical impossibility to imagine that, out of the thousands of things for sale on a given day, the most attractively priced is the one being sold by a knowledgeable seller (company insiders) to a less-knowledgeable buyer (investors).”

milesdividendmd

• Handlebar Stache
    • Miles Dividend MD
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 06:11:39 PM »

I am not disagreeing with u at all. Stock could grow 100 times its value for all we know. Momentum should not be the only factor while gambling on GPRO. It has a very limited growth potential as the its product is limted. If I was going to speculate a company producing products with over 75 p/e it sure wouldnt be one just making video cameras. The better speculative bet would be on 3d printing with a much bigger potential upside. GPRO only getting hype cause its IPO is new and people jump on bandwagons all day. Mostly in part of the media.

I am just saying it is extremely risky for a non proven company with little earnings and limited upside. That doesn't mean u cant make money on the stock. Could easily double or triple within the year. But for every Yahoo there are 10 dogs.

In the book Random walk down wallstreet they say new IPOs in history have underperformed the stock market by 4% over 5 year terms. IPOS generally trade over their IPO price for the first 6 months but quickly fall to initial IPO price. Take for example Twitter, They shot up like a rocket and shot down just as fast and recently was trading at below the IPO price many months later.

I think investing in good solid companies with a good history is a good idea. But trading into something that is very hard to predict is just gambling. How far do u think GOpro can really grow to? End of the day its abut the business and selling small video cameras to a small niched demographic is extremely limiting.  They would have to double there business 3 years in a row to justify todays share price even.

But GOPRO may make a great short term investment. Most people think they can beat the market with their selective stock picks but the fact is most dont.

Warren Buffett on IPOs
May 18, 2012

“It’s almost a mathematical impossibility to imagine that, out of the thousands of things for sale on a given day, the most attractively priced is the one being sold by a knowledgeable seller (company insiders) to a less-knowledgeable buyer (investors).”

I think you're exactly right here. IPOs are pure speculation.

But the elephant in the room is that most of us bought in based on the 2% guaranteed return in the form of cashback/credit card points.

I imagine if you added 2% to the first day returns of IPOs going back through history, The IPOs would handily beat the matched daily returns of the broad stock market.

In other words this is truly an exercise of manufactured spending, not investment.

socraticmethod

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2014, 03:31:26 AM »

Warren Buffett on IPOs
May 18, 2012

Very well said. A value investor wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2014, 09:34:19 AM »
I suppose you could say that those buying in are:

1.  Getting cc points.
2.  Speculating that speculators will raise the price for us so we can make a quick profit.  :)

k-vette

• Bristles
    • Bolton Ebikes
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 02:04:57 PM »
Over 180x earnings today.  Never know when its going to stop.

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »
Crap how did I not know about this website? I'm a GoPro fan and would have loved to get into the IPO action for GoPro!

So I was too late for the IPO but I got signed up for Loyal3 and invested $50 in GoPro as of Monday. I know its not much, but hey, I'm up over 26% so far. Also decided to create a nice portfolio on Loyal3 that I'll plan on holding onto for a while. Hoping to get into the LendingClub IPO when that happens.

AssetGrinder

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2014, 02:58:27 PM »
Lending club IPO sounds interesting. Massive GPRO pump up. Frothy stock price is a bit of an understatement.

jpdcpajd

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
wish i had asked for more cant beat 100% return in 4 days

vivophoenix

• Bristles
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2014, 02:07:06 PM »
may be late to this thread:

but i missed the gopro IP Obut im still up about ~10% from a purchase last week.  i purchased a little bit of everything on loyal3, but i pumped extra into go pro just based on the idea that getting in early on this type technology could be a big pay off.  besides i consider this gambling money. this isnt my retirement pot.

and im really hoping to get in on the lendingclub ipo. i believe that will be big.

also i am banking on the 2% cash back as ell. so all in all. up 12% in one week. i think i will sell the original $100 i put in next week,  and let the rest ride out.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2014, 02:09:27 PM by vivophoenix »

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 11:12:06 AM »
Haven't paid attention to Gopro, but I just watched this and thought of this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4fHeiqtGOA

IPO price $24, jump to ~$100. Now (aug 2018) around $6, possibly selling for assets. Youch! So how did everyone do?

AccidentalMiser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 04:58:05 PM »
Haven't paid attention to Gopro, but I just watched this and thought of this thread.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4fHeiqtGOA

IPO price $24, jump to ~$100. Now (aug 2018) around $6, possibly selling for assets. Youch! So how did everyone do?
I did great!  I stayed the hell away from just another electronic device company with lots of hype and shiny things but little or no moat.

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2018, 01:20:52 AM »
Boo moats. Inoovation!

stashing_it

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2018, 12:18:52 AM »
Boo moats. Inoovation!

I only like Goat Moats