Author Topic: Anyone invested in Tesla?  (Read 59192 times)

Metric Mouse

• Walrus Stache
  • FU @ 22. F.I.R.E before 23
Re: Anyone invested in Tesla?
« Reply #150 on: September 16, 2016, 03:47:00 PM »
I love the company and what they are doing.  Their cars are super cool.  I'd love to own one or at least drive one a bunch.  But I've had bad luck owning individual stocks in the past so I don't really do it anymore.  I stick with fire and forget mutual funds.

Yeah, a portfolio with Telsa in it could burn down faster than a Galaxy S7...

pha999

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #151 on: September 19, 2016, 09:39:00 PM »
bought some a few years ago, and now its sitting in my motif account.

My position is so small compared to my net worth. That its not gonna make or break me. either way. I dabble with single stocks with some fun money and the majority of it is in vanguard index funds.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #152 on: September 20, 2016, 07:00:40 AM »
All true, but equally Tesla aren't the first electric car makers, and they are doing it better than the competition. They also have clear advantages - the superchargers being one obvious one. And they're the first company to make a model that has been well received by the mainstream and doesn't compromise on performance or style. From that perspective all the ducks are in a row for me.
They have a disadvantage that Google, Apple, Microsoft didn't have: the dealership system and their feeding of lobbyist pockets at federal and state levels. That is the biggest factor preventing them from going mainstream.
High net-worth people I know won't buy a Tesla as there's no dealership system to get their cars serviced. That what-if scenario for a new tech car is what is holding people back. It's also a mindset issue.
If my guv'nor Rick Scott were as pro-business as he claims to be, we'd be seeing Tesla dealerships all over South Florida, Central FL, Tampa Bay and Sarasota, Jax, even Tallahassee to pander to them lawmakers. But we know even Skeletor has been bent over by lobbyists.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #153 on: September 20, 2016, 07:37:52 AM »
All true, but equally Tesla aren't the first electric car makers, and they are doing it better than the competition. They also have clear advantages - the superchargers being one obvious one. And they're the first company to make a model that has been well received by the mainstream and doesn't compromise on performance or style. From that perspective all the ducks are in a row for me.
They have a disadvantage that Google, Apple, Microsoft didn't have: the dealership system and their feeding of lobbyist pockets at federal and state levels. That is the biggest factor preventing them from going mainstream.
High net-worth people I know won't buy a Tesla as there's no dealership system to get their cars serviced. That what-if scenario for a new tech car is what is holding people back. It's also a mindset issue.
If my guv'nor Rick Scott were as pro-business as he claims to be, we'd be seeing Tesla dealerships all over South Florida, Central FL, Tampa Bay and Sarasota, Jax, even Tallahassee to pander to them lawmakers. But we know even Skeletor has been bent over by lobbyists.

There are five Tesla service centers in FLA and ten sales locations.
https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/services/United+States
https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/stores/United+States

This may be a problem of public perception rather than fact.  Not saying FLA is not crooked or there is a service center near you but people are accustomed to seeing dealers every five miles along the freeway and that simply is not the case with Tesla.  Until recently I did not know of one public car charging location but then I looked online and there are tons near me, problem is they dont have huge signs at every major intersection like gas stations do. 

You were implying that Google, Apple, Microsoft are competing with some someone who had a dealership system or with each other where Apple has there mall stores?  I dont follow your point.

jinga nation

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #154 on: September 20, 2016, 08:02:03 AM »

There are five Tesla service centers in FLA and ten sales locations.
https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/services/United+States
https://www.tesla.com/findus/list/stores/United+States

This may be a problem of public perception rather than fact.  Not saying FLA is not crooked or there is a service center near you but people are accustomed to seeing dealers every five miles along the freeway and that simply is not the case with Tesla.  Until recently I did not know of one public car charging location but then I looked online and there are tons near me, problem is they dont have huge signs at every major intersection like gas stations do. 

You were implying that Google, Apple, Microsoft are competing with some someone who had a dealership system or with each other where Apple has there mall stores?  I dont follow your point.
I've told the rich folks about the Tesla service center and sales location in East Tampa/ Brandon; I used to work in that area and it is industrial. However, it isn't the location rich folks will drive to. If you want to sell a high-end vehicle in Tampa, you want to be on N Dale Mabry Highway. That's where MB, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. hold court. Or N Florida Avenue. Location matters.

My next car will be some/full electric. Whether it's a Tesla Model 3 or Chevy Volt, I'll see when my 10 year Honda Accord gives up.

Regarding the software companies: they did not have to deal with lobbyists for the incumbents preventing their entry in the marketplace. Did Altavista, Lycos, etc. lobby CA/federal lawmakers to prevent Google's Search engine? Did IBM lobby to prevent MS-DOS from being sold? Tesla has to deal with a fuck-all dealer lobby preventing manufacturer-owned dealerships.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #155 on: September 20, 2016, 08:29:11 AM »
Interesting discussion. I have a large portfolio, but I own no individual stocks. LIke the low information diet, it lets me sleep better at night.

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #156 on: September 20, 2016, 09:01:09 AM »
I've told the rich folks about the Tesla service center and sales location in East Tampa/ Brandon; I used to work in that area and it is industrial. However, it isn't the location rich folks will drive to. If you want to sell a high-end vehicle in Tampa, you want to be on N Dale Mabry Highway. That's where MB, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. hold court. Or N Florida Avenue. Location matters.

My next car will be some/full electric. Whether it's a Tesla Model 3 or Chevy Volt, I'll see when my 10 year Honda Accord gives up.

Regarding the software companies: they did not have to deal with lobbyists for the incumbents preventing their entry in the marketplace. Did Altavista, Lycos, etc. lobby CA/federal lawmakers to prevent Google's Search engine? Did IBM lobby to prevent MS-DOS from being sold? Tesla has to deal with a fuck-all dealer lobby preventing manufacturer-owned dealerships.

ok. thanks, good points.  Google/Apple/MS did have to educate the public about what to do with there products, but yes there was no established opposition. 

nobodyspecial

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #157 on: September 20, 2016, 09:41:48 PM »
but people are accustomed to seeing dealers every five miles along the freeway and that simply is not the case with Tesla. 
Isn't that a good thing?

The reason Tesla don't have dealers is that the dealer profit on new cars = zero
They make money on expensive routine servicing -  with no oil changes, almost no brake changes and no engines/transmissions that fall apart after 100K, it's difficult for a Tesla dealer to make a living

AlanStache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2016, 06:31:45 AM »
but people are accustomed to seeing dealers every five miles along the freeway and that simply is not the case with Tesla. 
Isn't that a good thing?

The reason Tesla don't have dealers is that the dealer profit on new cars = zero
They make money on expensive routine servicing -  with no oil changes, almost no brake changes and no engines/transmissions that fall apart after 100K, it's difficult for a Tesla dealer to make a living

Yes is a good thing.  I was only trying to say that people have been trained to think that it is normal/good to have there manufacturers dealer & service center always very near and are comforted by that.  But the need for service centers is much reduced with the maintenance needs of a Tesla.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: September 23, 2016, 09:37:51 AM »
I'm glad Tesla is suing Michigan's governor and attorney general  over not allowing Tesla to have their own car sales storefronts.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/2016/09/22/tesla-sues-state-officials-sell-cars-michigan/90832684/

TheStachery

« Reply #160 on: February 09, 2017, 07:12:54 AM »
Tesla going strong for the past couple weeks.  Looks like it's up in premarket too.

They are reconfiguring a plant to begin production of the model 3.  Good news to all the Tesla stock owners.  Financials on Feb 22.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2017, 01:17:37 PM »
I won't personally buy individual stocks, it's a fools game in my opinion, nonetheless I want Tesla to succeed and transform our society toward electric vehicles, solar power, and battery storage.

KarefulKactus15

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #162 on: February 09, 2017, 02:54:54 PM »
I think I would rather donate to tesla than invest.   I truly believe in what their vision, but as an investment its not for me.

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2017, 06:56:55 AM »
I too like the vision and moves Tesla are making to make it a reality.  But I think the net cash flow may disappoint. Instead I bought some stock in a lithium mine. 

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2017, 07:19:39 AM »
that last post made me think of the Christmas song "Santa Baby"...

"Santa, baby, there's one more thing I really do need--the deed...to a lithium mine!"

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2017, 08:42:13 AM »
that last post made me think of the Christmas song "Santa Baby"...

"Santa, baby, there's one more thing I really do need--the deed...to a lithium mine!"

Well your Santa can buy a share for you! I think lithium demand is going to get much larger than supply for a while...EVs and solar power just makes too much sense to not take off over the next decade IMHO. but you need batteries.  the mine is one of the lowest cost in the world. $3000 a ton of LiCa that's currently going for over $10k. OROCF

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2017, 09:19:42 AM »
I don't know if lithium based batteries will turn out to be the best primary storage for stationary applications (but it's unlikely to be dethroned for mobile applications). I last week I watched NOVA's "Search for the Super Battery". It explored the battery technology needed for both mobile and stationary applications. Tesla's major contribution is the development of the largest lithium-ion battery factory in the world (and they'll standardize on larger cells built in their new factory). The host visited with a researcher who has developed a polymer electrolyte for lithium batteries that prevents thermal runaway (even if the battery is physically damaged). This electrolyte may also enable energy density in rechargeable lithium batteries to be increased. This technology has a high chance of being developed into the best mobile battery that will ever be developed. Several technologies for stationary storage were also looked at and I believe the grid will likely have a blend of many technologies for storage to balance cost, storage capacity, and load capacity. Lithium may well be part of the blend due to it's exceptional ability to charge and discharge quickly (as well as high energy density), but other technologies will likely continue to provide a better ratio of storage capacity to cost.

flyersman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #167 on: February 13, 2017, 09:52:04 AM »
Up $10+ already today.

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #168 on: February 13, 2017, 02:34:27 PM »
I have an automated investment thru loyal3 (no fees/commissions) for a couple hundred a month per company (tesla, amazon, and google). It dollar costs averages at these nosebleed prices. Sometimes I look at the balance and it blows my mind as I do not really notice it. I like to "donate" to companies that are changing the world for the better and I may even make some money in the distance future. I always max out all tax sheltered accounts and pay down mortgage already. This is just 20 year bet/donation on companies I really want to succeed and to say I own some.

zazpowered

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Where should you invest your money?
« Reply #169 on: February 14, 2017, 10:48:09 PM »
I'm a huge believer in Tesla and Elon Musk. He will definitely find a way to make this company huge.

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 15, 2017, 11:15:14 AM »
I bought a dozen shares a long time ago and am happy to leave them there.  They have already shocked the auto industry out of their complacency, and I like being a (tiny) part of that.

I suppose I could sell now at a significant profit (percentage wise), but it is a tiny fraction of my overall portfolio now, so I doubt I'll bother.  Maybe I'll sell them if/when I buy an electric car.

GoingConcern

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: February 15, 2017, 12:00:20 PM »
I bought in November when it was around $190 and put in around $5.5k because I have bought into the hype and believe Telsa will either dominate the auto industry in 10 years or will go bankrupt.   So far I'm up 50% but I realize the stock is extremely volatile right now and I wouldn't be suprised if it took a big dip if some bad news came out especially if the news is related to the Model 3. 
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:03:55 PM by GoingConcern »

DarinC

• Bristles
« Reply #172 on: April 21, 2017, 10:03:11 AM »
If you have evidence that Tesla is doing a lot of battery chemistry research and has developed new and superior chemistries that they are building into their PowerWall batteries, I'd love to see it. If you don't have evidence, then I think it's pretty definitional to say that your assumption that they are doing this is baseless (i.e. you're basing the assumption off of no evidence). My understanding is that they are still just using the same mass produced, standard, Li-on cells they've been building their batteries out of all along. Some of the efficiencies they might be able to gain from doing that at the Gigafactory include leaving out some components that the individual cells normally have and centralizing them. But doing original battery chemistry research is a big undertaking that usually involves years (and takes years to test appropriately as well).
They hired Jeff Dahn.

https://qz.com/690936/teslas-newest-hire-may-be-proof-elon-musk-is-ready-to-hear-some-hard-truths-about-batteries/

He's one of the leaders, if not the leader, in research on battery capacity loss/lifespan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxP0Cu00sZs

Apparently, Dahn's pretty confident that his research is going into Tesla's battery design/chemistry moving forward.

https://electrek.co/2017/02/07/tesla-battery-research-longevity-breakthrough-products/

I wouldn't be surprised if they had tweaked their battery chemistries prior to this, but Dahn working for them takes that to another level given his experience/capabilities.

Marathon_runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #173 on: April 21, 2017, 02:29:48 PM »
TSLA isn't for me.  I do own 1,000 shares of F though.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: April 21, 2017, 08:35:55 PM »
One of the takeaways is Jeff Dahn stating that battery technology for energy storage needs to improve in order to move the planet decisively toward renewable energy.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #175 on: April 25, 2017, 12:21:15 PM »
TSLA isn't for me.  I do own 1,000 shares of F though.

I'm at 400 shares of F. That dividend (of $240/year) would be enough to finance a $6K play on TSLA. I should do it.