Author Topic: Anyone In CRISPR stocks?  (Read 3209 times)

King Stilts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Anyone In CRISPR stocks?
« on: March 27, 2017, 09:31:11 PM »
Looking to dump a chunk of my "fun" stash into some long-term hopefuls within the next week.  I've noticed that CRSP, EDIT, and NTLA are all some decent looking options that are banking on what we are all wishing to be the 21st centuries top healthcare innovation while still in its infancy.  I figured a dozen shares of each just to sit wouldn't hurt just to see what the future holds.. at least while I await Caribou's IPO.

What do you guys think?  Anyone hop into individual stocks anymore?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 09:35:32 PM by King Stilts »

Scortius

• Bristles
Re: Anyone In CRISPR stocks?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 10:00:15 AM »
Just be careful!  CRISPR isn't a new or unknown technology anymore, and the expectations of future growth will likely already be included in the price of the stock.  Moving forward, the biotech companies that succeed will be the ones with business acumen, not necessarily the ones with the coolest new application.  You don't want to be putting your money into the next Theranos.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 03:00:09 PM »
With the changes in patent case law in recent years - how will companies maintain some market exclusivity?

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 06:42:18 PM »
A better use for CRSP is the usage in Vanguard Total Stock Market's summary:
"Seeks to track the performance of the CRSP US Total Market Index."

King Stilts

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 09:05:16 PM »
Well it looks like last night was a good night to pull the trigger.  Only $450 total in all 3 companies guys, not going to be the end of me if the worst comes to fruition.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 06:38:13 AM »
The three CRISPR stocks mentioned above have been on a tear this week (plus one, BEAM, that wasn't on the market when you posted)---and the market hasn't opened on Tuesday yet. They're all up between 10% and 30% in one day on zero news or announcements.

CRISPR-Cas9 is going to be a topic we hear a lot about in the next ten years. Netflix has a show on now "Human Nature" that does a good job of explaining the technology and how revolutionary it is.

Disclosure: I'm long CRSP and BEAM.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2020, 08:14:11 AM »
I have a large holding of ARKG, which I added to yesterday morning before it gained another 6%.  It's already another 4.5% this morning at 10:15.  I guess CRISPR is driving it. 

TAN has been on a tear too, but that's solar.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »
I just looked at ARKG's investment portfolio. All I can say is 'wow'. All the good stuff and lots of it to boot. That's an ETF to buy and hold . . . . .. until you need FIRE cash to spend.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2020, 03:19:01 PM »
I just looked at ARKG's investment portfolio. All I can say is 'wow'. All the good stuff and lots of it to boot. That's an ETF to buy and hold . . . . .. until you need FIRE cash to spend.

ARKG is up 11.74% since yesterday morning and up 89.4% since I started buying it in July.

But the solar stocks, TAN & PBW, are doing even better.  PBW gained 7.1% today!

Boll weevil

• Stubble
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2020, 04:05:55 PM »
I had some ARKW, but fairly quickly sold that and got into ARKK.

My logic is I don’t know which of the industries is going to do best, so pick the one that has some of everything.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2020, 04:09:16 PM »
Just be careful!  CRISPR isn't a new or unknown technology anymore, and the expectations of future growth will likely already be included in the price of the stock.  Moving forward, the biotech companies that succeed will be the ones with business acumen, not necessarily the ones with the coolest new application.  You don't want to be putting your money into the next Theranos.

This. My buddy told me about CRISPR in January of 2015 and had already been using it for years.

Schmitty642

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 06:31:38 PM »
Personally, I'm bull-ish on RNAi technology (gene silencing) vs CRISPR over the next 10 years. In general, I think people are going to be much more likely to get a shot every 3-6 months than have a permanent change that could have nastier side effects.

(Full disclosure- I have a decent sized position in ARWR)

effigy98

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 10:39:00 PM »
Have a heavy allocation to the ARK fund that invests in it and plan on holding it for 10+ years. This is an amazing decade for breakthrus as we are converging computing with health care (FINALLY!).

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 04:56:35 AM »

This. My buddy told me about CRISPR in January of 2015 and had already been using it for years.

Well, not more than three years, I bet. Since it was only discovered in 2012 (and the discoverers won the Nobel Prize this year), your friend must be on the cutting edge. I wish I had a friend like that.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 11:24:56 AM »

Well, not more than three years, I bet. Since it was only discovered in 2012 (and the discoverers won the Nobel Prize this year), your friend must be on the cutting edge. I wish I had a friend like that.

Yes, possibly only two come to think of it. IDK, I didn't know them then. Also, the rest of their traits are highly questionable. But if you want one I would suggest poking around wherever the biochemistry post-docs hang out.

Along those lines CRISPR/Cas9-mediated gene editing in human tripronuclear zygotes by Puping Liang, et al was published in April of 2015 and noted that "[g]enome editing tools such as the clustered regularly interspaced short palindromic repeat (CRISPR)-associated system (Cas) have been widely used to modify genes in model systems including animal zygotes and human cells." So I don't think that it was a big secret or anything.

EDITed to add - CRISPR/Cas-9 was published in 2012. I would imagine that it was discovered before then: further reading.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 11:34:45 AM by PDXTabs »

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
hmmm..... well, I guess we'd just be arguing over the definitions of words now; discovered, recognized for it's current use, published, etc. whatever.

At the end of the day, before 2012, no one was using CRISPR-Cas9 for gene editing in humans. Now, in clinical trials they've cured someone's sickle cell disease. That's right--cured. The study was implemented in 2019 (IIRC), and the treatment still hasn't been FDA approved and it might never be approved. So, until these milestones are hit, their attainment is discounted in the price of the stock. i.e. after, and only after, the milestones are reached the stock goes up to reflect the achievement.

Which means that there is still plenty of upside in these stocks for those who are interested in investing in this space. YMMV.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 12:59:10 PM »
Which means that there is still plenty of upside in these stocks for those who are interested in investing in this space. YMMV.

Upon reflection I think that you are right about this in the medium/long term. CRISPR-Cas9 isn't a secret, but there is a ton of unrealized upside for humanity. If you can manage to bet on the winners in this space you could win big. Just buy enough of them or you might end up with the Rhapsody and MySpace of gene editing companies.

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2020, 04:59:02 AM »
As investors who, thanks to technology, have practically unlimited information immediately at their fingertips, it's easy to forget the element of time in the implementation of new discoveries.

For example;
it took Apple over ten years to combine technologies of the cell phone and internet. First reviews of the iPhone were 'meh, one of many.' Not really any 'new' technology in an iPhone. An app may be a new invention, but is it new technology?

What 'new' technology has Google brought out since, say, 2004? Yet the stock price has soared since then. Perhaps the same could be said of Microsoft or Amazon, too. Dunno. But their stocks have soared in the past 15 years. Is Netflix new technology or just a new use of existing technology? Same for, say, Airbnb.

CRISPR-Cas9 is new technology. The post-doc guy that you met in 2015 had been trying to figure out how to implement the new technology for years, if I understood your comment correctly. Yet, HE wasn't able to do it, even with oversight and guidance of other presumably smart people. That's how hard it is to get this stuff figured out. But, if you can crack the nut, find the way to implement this new technology, fame and riches beyond one's wildest dreams await. We're in the early stages, just the beginning.

I'm just an investor, along for the ride, hoping to get others aboard the greatest wave of the 21st Century and perhaps my lifetime.

reeshau

• Magnum Stache
  • Former locations: Detroit, Indianapolis, Dublin
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2020, 09:03:13 AM »
At the end of the day, before 2012, no one was using CRISPR-Cas9 for gene editing in humans. Now, in clinical trials they've cured someone's sickle cell disease. That's right--cured.

The investment potential for cures (as opposed to ongoing treatments) can be tricky.  With a one-time shot at a patient, the price has to be sky-high to recoup the research costs.  This is tricky with insurers, and can lead to bad publicity.  I think the overall reaction to Gilead's Hep C cure from investors was disappointment.

The interesting thing about CRISPR cures is, by changing the DNA, the cure would also be passed on.  So, really a cure, rather than each new generation possibly needing treatment.  So even more of a finite market.

This is just the financial perspective, of course.  From a human perspective, this technology will lead to significant changes in our lifetime.

forgerator

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2020, 09:08:39 AM »

Looks like it tanked today due to one of it's holding crashing 50%.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2020, 10:37:01 AM »

Buying opportunity?

bwall

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »

Wow! Good catch! How did you get that information?

It appears as if ARKG's #5 holding, ARCT, a mRNA medicine and vaccine company, produced poor results in their COVID-19 Phase I-II trials and the stock dropped 54% as I write. ARKG owned 15% of the outstanding shares, so.... yeh, that is a painful exercise.