Author Topic: Any feedback on Morgan Stanley?  (Read 1784 times)

anneinpdx

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Any feedback on Morgan Stanley?
« on: April 01, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
My husband is starting a new job this week and the company 401k plan is with Morgan Stanley.  I briefly scanned the internet and it appears they lean towards active management and higher fees.  I am pretty new to learning about investing but have set up a simple portfolio at Vanguard in low cost index funds for my own retirement funds and I would prefer to minimize fees on our investments going forwards. 

He will get a 3% match on his contributions but we were planning to max it out this year and going forwards as we will now be at an income level where it's very helpful to take advantage of tax-deferred options.   Does anyone here have any advice to offer on Morgan Stanley?  Is it even possible to set up a portfolio with low cost index funds there?

wtjbatman

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Any feedback on Morgan Stanley?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 09:27:55 PM »
Every employer is different. You just need to wait until you have access to the account and can look. Every fund in my 401k is terrible... except for one, and that's the Vanguard total stock market index fund. 100% goes into that. Fortunately when you're doing index investing, you don't need a lot of options. Just one or two good ones.