Author Topic: altcoins (ie. cryptocurrencies that aren't bitcoin)  (Read 6049 times)

gp_

• Stubble
altcoins (ie. cryptocurrencies that aren't bitcoin)
« on: March 31, 2017, 04:41:54 PM »
anyone following the insanity that are altcoins on the news of bitcoin unlimited and the clashing of a possible BTC hardfork?

has anyone mined or invested any alt's? i hold 7 different ones at the moment, and am up like 4000% in 1 month... what are you guys following, mining, holding, investing in?

aFrugalFather

• Stubble
    • Life/Finance Blog
Re: altcoins (ie. cryptocurrencies that aren't bitcoin)
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 04:55:59 PM »
Seems more like gambling than resembling any sort of investment to me. 

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »

i'm going to assume you don't understand how cryptology in fintech works...

LAGuy

• Bristles
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 08:16:09 PM »

i'm going to assume you don't understand how cryptology in fintech works...

People here understand it just fine. They're pyramid schemes plain and simple. If that's your thing, go for it. Plenty of people out there who actually knowing jump into pyramid schemes hoping to get in early and get out early. I'd suggest you take your gains and run.

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 08:28:29 PM »
It wouldn't surprise me if some altcoin ends up displacing bitcoin (look what happened to myspace after facebook emerged).* It's rare for the first iteration of an exciting new idea to end up being the version that's adopted long term. That doesn't mean I'd want to gamble money on guessing any particular altcoin is going to end up being the new standard for cheap/fast international currency transfers.

*Social network websites and cryptocurrencies both benefit from major network effects (you get much more out of using a particular one if it's also the one most of your friends are using).

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 08:42:19 PM »
I mined a couple of different altcoins back in the day. They're pretty much worthless. Who knows, maybe someday they'll shoot to the moon for some reason. I'm not expecting that, but I'll gladly take the money if it happens.

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2017, 08:01:22 AM »
People here understand it just fine. They're pyramid schemes plain and simple. If that's your thing, go for it. Plenty of people out there who actually knowing jump into pyramid schemes hoping to get in early and get out early. I'd suggest you take your gains and run.

it's clear you don't understand, they're not all pyramid schemes.

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2017, 08:02:57 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if some altcoin ends up displacing bitcoin (look what happened to myspace after facebook emerged).* It's rare for the first iteration of an exciting new idea to end up being the version that's adopted long term. That doesn't mean I'd want to gamble money on guessing any particular altcoin is going to end up being the new standard for cheap/fast international currency transfers.

*Social network websites and cryptocurrencies both benefit from major network effects (you get much more out of using a particular one if it's also the one most of your friends are using).

agreed. i think there's a possibility with ethereum.

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2017, 08:04:59 AM »
I mined a couple of different altcoins back in the day. They're pretty much worthless. Who knows, maybe someday they'll shoot to the moon for some reason. I'm not expecting that, but I'll gladly take the money if it happens.

what did you mine?

i mined ETH and decred, both have stabilized a lot in price.

seattlecyclone

• Walrus Stache
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »

what did you mine?

i mined ETH and decred, both have stabilized a lot in price.

I tossed a few CPU cores at Multipool, so I have a few cents' worth of various coins sitting around in wallets that I think I remember the passphrases for.

talltexan

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2017, 09:38:43 AM »
gp_

I've noticed many bitcoin people respond to even modest skepticism of crypto-currencies with the claim that the skeptic "doesn't understand how they work".

This is your chance to graciously educate a forum of mustachians who may indeed have something to learn. Telling us that we don't understand bitcoin won't persuade us to start buying things using it.

shotgunwilly

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2017, 10:20:18 AM »
I've kept up with Bitcoin and altcoins for many years now.

gp_, for you to not acknowledge that altcoins are nothing but speculation at this point in time, tells me immediately that YOU do not understand cryptocurrencies. 

Having said that... A cryptocurrency is our future. But which one?  Does it even exist yet?  I don't believe so.   

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2017, 08:12:04 AM »
gp_

I've noticed many bitcoin people respond to even modest skepticism of crypto-currencies with the claim that the skeptic "doesn't understand how they work".

This is your chance to graciously educate a forum of mustachians who may indeed have something to learn. Telling us that we don't understand bitcoin won't persuade us to start buying things using it.

it's somewhat difficult, because in other posts, i've tried to explain and it typically goes over people's heads, OR people write it off as fraud, a scam, etc. to summarize, what's great about a lot of crytocurrencies, is that they aren't used solely as a currency, but as a means to facilitate a given task. i suggest you look at what a company called ripple is doing. their token or "currency" is xrp. to put it simply, they're a settlement network which allows banks to process and confirm transactions in seconds, vs. the sometimes days it takes to move money. this is done at a significantly cheaper cost. 1/3 of the banks in japan are already utilizing ripple. western union is currently developing their own proprietary blockchain technology. this is the future. other cryptocurrencies are following the same type of model (a company's unique token used for using the service). companies are already developing better versions for private cloud storage (and wayyy cheaper than competitors like amazon), renting unused computing power from those across the network, creating a decentralized "super computer"... all of these companies are utilizing blockchain technology.

i urge anyone interested to do their own research, as there are many components involved to having a better/clearer understanding. the majority still associates bitcoin with fraud, "tulip mania", etc.

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2017, 08:34:41 AM »
I've kept up with Bitcoin and altcoins for many years now.

gp_, for you to not acknowledge that altcoins are nothing but speculation at this point in time, tells me immediately that YOU do not understand cryptocurrencies. 

Having said that... A cryptocurrency is our future. But which one?  Does it even exist yet?  I don't believe so.

they are a speculation. so is the stock market, housing, fiat... everything in this world is a speculation. for you to say i don't understand cryptocurrencies is quite presumptuous. do you know my background? have you personally contributed to any community projects?

you, like most people, seem to look at cryptocurrencies as replacing fiat. i look at cryptocurrencies as utility payments for a given service. many cryptocurrencies already coexist with one another, and aren't attempting to replace something like the USD. in the future, many of them will continue to coexist with one another. why? because they already do...

step #1 is to break your association with things like bitcoin = the new future currency. independent currencies like bitcoin will always coexist with fiat, however, not everyone treats cryptocurrencies like a "currency" by definition. to "speculate", i believe a digital version of the USD will exist one day, because technology solves antiquated processes. chopping down trees, to produce paper with a perceived value is absurd.

anyone interested should do their own research or join the crypto community.

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2017, 10:29:05 PM »
What wallet do you use?

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 04:51:24 AM »
It wouldn't surprise me if some altcoin ends up displacing bitcoin (look what happened to myspace after facebook emerged).* It's rare for the first iteration of an exciting new idea to end up being the version that's adopted long term.
Except for situations like ebay, which has not been replaced.  If you get enough network effects with buyers and sellers wanting to find each other, you can be the "gold" standard.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 05:21:30 AM »
i hold 7 different ones at the moment, and am up like 4000% in 1 month...
It's fairly clear to me you came here to brag.  If you really think altcoins make 4000% per month... did you grow $1000 into $1,600,000 in two months?

You keep telling people they don't understand.  I could probably name corners of the Bitcoin world I understand better than you, mostly with the purpose to say you don't always know the most because you start a thread.  If you really knew more, you could point out why people are wrong, rather than just don't understand.  I mean, are you creating discussion here or just shutting it down?

Almost all people who buy bitcoin as an "investment" want someone else to buy their Bitcoin for more money.  That's speculation - there's no inherent reason Bitcoin should increase in value.  Stocks own a slice of real companies with real assets, like Apple making iPhones.  Bonds get paid according to a schedule.  But bitcoin offers none of that, and is speculation on the price increase of bitcoin.

Here's what I see as the worst case for Bitcoin: flaky China connectivity.  China holds over 51% of blockchain computing power, which means in a war over trust, China's computers will always win.  If they get disconnected, the blockchain splits in two: "inside China" and "outside China".  If you invest in Bitcoin during this split, you get a nasty surprise when China regains connectivity: your Bitcoin is gone.  When China comes back online, it's "inside China" version of events is true and "outside China" (with under 50% of computing power) is discarded.  Your purchase of Bitcoin gets discarded with it.  That scenario hasn't played out that I know of, but it means that China's policy or connectivity is very significant to Bitcoin.

This thread is on the investment forum.  Can you explain why Bitcoin is an investment rather than speculation?

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 11:23:18 AM »
What wallet do you use?

different wallets for different ones. like many, waiting for a wallet which can accommodate many (ie. more than 5+.)

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 11:33:06 AM »
i hold 7 different ones at the moment, and am up like 4000% in 1 month...
It's fairly clear to me you came here to brag.  If you really think altcoins make 4000% per month... did you grow $1000 into $1,600,000 in two months?

You keep telling people they don't understand.  I could probably name corners of the Bitcoin world I understand better than you, mostly with the purpose to say you don't always know the most because you start a thread.  If you really knew more, you could point out why people are wrong, rather than just don't understand.  I mean, are you creating discussion here or just shutting it down?

Almost all people who buy bitcoin as an "investment" want someone else to buy their Bitcoin for more money.  That's speculation - there's no inherent reason Bitcoin should increase in value.  Stocks own a slice of real companies with real assets, like Apple making iPhones.  Bonds get paid according to a schedule.  But bitcoin offers none of that, and is speculation on the price increase of bitcoin.

Here's what I see as the worst case for Bitcoin: flaky China connectivity.  China holds over 51% of blockchain computing power, which means in a war over trust, China's computers will always win.  If they get disconnected, the blockchain splits in two: "inside China" and "outside China".  If you invest in Bitcoin during this split, you get a nasty surprise when China regains connectivity: your Bitcoin is gone.  When China comes back online, it's "inside China" version of events is true and "outside China" (with under 50% of computing power) is discarded.  Your purchase of Bitcoin gets discarded with it.  That scenario hasn't played out that I know of, but it means that China's policy or connectivity is very significant to Bitcoin.

This thread is on the investment forum.  Can you explain why Bitcoin is an investment rather than speculation?

why is it "clear" that i came here to brag? bragging would have been me putting a $ amount. people also talk about their financial milestones constantly on this forum, so why single me out / attack me? i wrote this post to engage with other people who are within the cryptocommunity...

i never said "altcoins make 4000% per month", i said "am up like 4000% in 1 month"... which was due to "the news of bitcoin unlimited and the clashing of a possible BTC hardfork". people sold their BTC holdings and diversified. so instead of becoming defensive, why don't you re-read what i've written a little more. you're also talking solely about bitcoin, this thread is about "cryptocurrencies that aren't bitcoin". so your superior knowledge of  "naming corners of the Bitcoin world I understand better than you" is irrelevant. also, this isn't meant as "bragging", but you clearly don't know more about bitcoin than i do, by saying "there's no inherent reason Bitcoin should increase in value"... do you know what block reward halving is? do you have an understanding of limited supply, or booming demand for blockchain technology within fintech? did you know that japan now officially recognizes bitcoin as a form of currency and that over 260,000 locations in japan will be accepting bitcoin as payment by summer 2017? 

please explain why stocks and real estate are an investment vs. speculation, regardless of them being tangible assets. any/every market in this world is speculation. your comparison to investments being "real assets" are only 1 example of an investment. many cryptocurrencies represent a proprietary utility payment for using the service(s) offered by that company. while those services are digital, they very much represent a "real asset".

« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 05:06:43 PM by gp_ »

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 04:09:26 PM »
What wallet do you use?

different wallets for different ones. like many, waiting for a wallet which can accommodate many (ie. more than 5+.)

Can you recommend a free wallet that you can use on a phone app?

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 04:43:43 PM »
What wallet do you use?

for what coin?

onecoolcat

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 12:52:18 AM »
What wallet do you use?

for what coin?

ETH

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2017, 07:33:38 AM »
ETH

there are many - coinbase is good if you want a wallet where you can buy, sell, and transfer to your bank account (all in 1). jaxx wallet is ok, but i prefer myetherwallet as i think it's one of the most secure. all are free.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
I disagree with your idea that scarity equals value.  First, Bitcoin has not historically always jumped in price when the block reward gets reduced by half.  And second, if people stop wanting Bitcoin the quantity doesn't matter - it drops in value.

Stocks are already established investments, and you questioning them doesn't change that.  You created a thread with your idea that altcoin is an investment, so the burden is on you to prove it.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2017, 09:03:30 AM »
gp_

it's somewhat difficult, because in other posts, i've tried to explain and it typically goes over people's heads, OR people write it off as fraud, a scam, etc. to summarize, what's great about a lot of crytocurrencies, is that they aren't used solely as a currency, but as a means to facilitate a given task. i suggest you look at what a company called ripple is doing. their token or "currency" is xrp. to put it simply, they're a settlement network which allows banks to process and confirm transactions in seconds, vs. the sometimes days it takes to move money. this is done at a significantly cheaper cost. 1/3 of the banks in japan are already utilizing ripple. western union is currently developing their own proprietary blockchain technology. this is the future. other cryptocurrencies are following the same type of model (a company's unique token used for using the service). companies are already developing better versions for private cloud storage (and wayyy cheaper than competitors like amazon), renting unused computing power from those across the network, creating a decentralized "super computer"... all of these companies are utilizing blockchain technology.

i urge anyone interested to do their own research, as there are many components involved to having a better/clearer understanding. the majority still associates bitcoin with fraud, "tulip mania", etc.

Actually, your examples are excellent for comparing altcoins to tulip mania.

The successful business implementations you describe are folks who are developing tulip farms with known input and established market for their product (florists, whatever) - tulips (blockchain technology) are just a tool to be used as part of the business model

Individuals buying/mining altcoins is just swapping dormant tulip bulbs on the streets, hoping you get a rare break (in tulips, the establishment of striping in a more common solid-color tulip) or prices go up and you make money.

Two TOTALLY different things.

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2017, 09:14:00 AM »

please explain why stocks and real estate are an investment vs. speculation, regardless of them being tangible assets. any/every market in this world is speculation. your comparison to investments being "real assets" are only 1 example of an investment. many cryptocurrencies represent a proprietary utility payment for using the service(s) offered by that company. while those services are digital, they very much represent a "real asset".

As the person so intent on disrupting established norms, you get to carry the burden of proof. But I'll get you started.

Oh, and stop conflating cryptocurrencies with "blockchain technology" if you want to be taken seriously - cryptocurrencies can be considered a subset of blockchain technology, not the other way around.

Stocks represent a fraction of ownership in a company. Companies (typically) actually produce things that we need/want and pay money for. They have income. Ownership represents a claim on both the assets and income of the company.

Blockchain technology represents a promising method for increasing speed and security of a whole host of transactions. Could revolutionize trade. Doesn't need to use any of the current cryptocurrencies to do that.

Cryptocurrencies represent some computing power that's already been spent. They produce nothing of value. They are backed by nothing of value. None of your examples so far show any value in cryptocurrencies, just value in blockchain.

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2017, 03:22:57 PM »
I disagree with your idea that scarity equals value.  First, Bitcoin has not historically always jumped in price when the block reward gets reduced by half.  And second, if people stop wanting Bitcoin the quantity doesn't matter - it drops in value.

Stocks are already established investments, and you questioning them doesn't change that.  You created a thread with your idea that altcoin is an investment, so the burden is on you to prove it.

the definition of an investment is "the action or process of investing money for profit or material result." i, and many people have profited from altcoins...

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2017, 03:41:57 PM »

As the person so intent on disrupting established norms, you get to carry the burden of proof. But I'll get you started.

Oh, and stop conflating cryptocurrencies with "blockchain technology" if you want to be taken seriously - cryptocurrencies can be considered a subset of blockchain technology, not the other way around.

Stocks represent a fraction of ownership in a company. Companies (typically) actually produce things that we need/want and pay money for. They have income. Ownership represents a claim on both the assets and income of the company.

Blockchain technology represents a promising method for increasing speed and security of a whole host of transactions. Could revolutionize trade. Doesn't need to use any of the current cryptocurrencies to do that.

Cryptocurrencies represent some computing power that's already been spent. They produce nothing of value. They are backed by nothing of value. None of your examples so far show any value in cryptocurrencies, just value in blockchain.

haha, disrupting established norms? i started a thread to engage with people who are within the crypto community, get over yourself. these "rare breaks" are also "not so rare". i don't know if you're mad because you missed the boat and are redirecting your anger toward me, but a lot of people made a lot of money, myself included.

i previously mentioned a company called ripple, who's currency is xrp. xrp is a bridge currency which incentivizes banks to use it because it lowers operational costs... most cryptocurrencies follow this model, as they require a proprietary utility payment (ie. the company's token) for services rendered - this is the entire point of their existence. if you want to be taken seriously, gain a better understanding of what's actually going on.

zazpowered

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Where should you invest your money?
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2017, 06:35:01 PM »
Yeah pretty crazy to see the rise of all these altcoins. I own some ETH, ZEC, XMR and Dash

TomTX

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2017, 09:22:22 PM »

haha, disrupting established norms? i started a thread to engage with people who are within the crypto community, get over yourself. these "rare breaks" are also "not so rare". i don't know if you're mad because you missed the boat and are redirecting your anger toward me, but a lot of people made a lot of money, myself included.

i previously mentioned a company called ripple, who's currency is xrp. xrp is a bridge currency which incentivizes banks to use it because it lowers operational costs... most cryptocurrencies follow this model, as they require a proprietary utility payment (ie. the company's token) for services rendered - this is the entire point of their existence. if you want to be taken seriously, gain a better understanding of what's actually going on.

Heh, the "get over yourself." Lemme show you a mirror.

Lots of people made lots of (pretend) money in tulip mania, Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC, and Pets.com too. For awhile.

Maybe you've picked a winner, maybe not. Some banks are using the Ripple protocols (ie, using blockchain open ledger for transfer) but are generally NOT using XRP (the altcoin/cryptocurrency) other than the mandatory millionth of a cent per transaction used as an antispam measure.

Again, you are conflating the usefulness of the technology with value in a particular altcoin.

And learn to use the shift key to capitalize proper nouns.  :rolleyes:

Khan

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2017, 07:38:10 AM »

the definition of an investment is "the action or process of investing money for profit or material result." i, and many people have profited from altcoins...

The definition of speculation: investment in stocks, property, or other ventures in the hope of gain but with the risk of loss.

No. I don't mess with altcoins. Most of them have nothing to differentiate themselves from eachother. Good luck to you if buying multiple video cards, or custom solutions for mining is your thing, but you aren't investing, you're speculating. You're saying that the dirt underneath your feet is worth more because there's gold in it, and you know what?

I don't think you're standing on Sutter's Mill.

trollwithamustache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2017, 08:06:18 AM »
The thing with bubbles is to figure out how to cash out just before the pop!

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2017, 09:40:56 AM »
Yeah pretty crazy to see the rise of all these altcoins. I own some ETH, ZEC, XMR and Dash

nice! those are all great coins, hope you've seen some great gains :)

gp_

• Stubble
« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2017, 09:41:21 AM »
The thing with bubbles is to figure out how to cash out just before the pop!

definitely