Author Topic: All equity investments  (Read 2550 times)

fb132

All equity investments
« on: October 12, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »
I just opened an account with Tangerine (canadian bank, formerly ING Direct). I am 32, is it wise for me to put my money for retirement with an index mutual fund that has 100% equities?? Mind you, I won't be touching that money for 20-25 years minimum, unless the stock markets performs too well. Or should I get a little security and invest in an index mutual fund that has 80% equities/20% bonds?

Dodge

• Pencil Stache
Re: All equity investments
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 07:20:41 PM »
Many arguments for and against 100% equities can be found here:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/investor-alley/asset-allocation-100-stocks-for-how-long/

I won't rehash the arguments here, I recommend reading through that thread.  I hope you aren't planning on purchasing any Tangerine funds!  Those all have a 1% fee!  Though I can't find a 100% equities option, so maybe that's not your plan?

http://www.tangerine.ca/en/investing/investment-funds/investment-fund/index.html

beee

• Stubble
    • HoneyMoney.io
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 01:49:15 PM »
in my opinion, the biggest problem with tangerine's all equity fund is it's poor diversification: 50% canadian stocks, 25% international stocks, 25% us stocks
too many canadian stocks, imho

Kaspian

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Necronomicon of Badassity
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:01:52 PM »
Agree, this has been rehashed a million times here.  As long as you're aware your strategy isn't prudent, that you can drive safely without wearing a seatbelt, then cool.

Mr. Captain Cash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.mrcaptaincash.com
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 01:19:43 PM »
FB132,

All equities or not is always a tough question to answer.

Lots of factors to consider, your risk appetite, during the last stock market crash did you buy or sell, and when or how much of the principal asset base will be needed to fund your retirement.

I myself invest in 100% equities and I do not have a problem with your asset allocation if it is similar to what ildar mentioned.

Mr. Captain Cash

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!