Author Topic: After tax contributions to 401k or taxable account?  (Read 2221 times)

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
After tax contributions to 401k or taxable account?
« on: January 09, 2014, 01:49:52 PM »
I posted this in "Ask a Mustachian" forum but I figured I may get more answers here.

Any members here putting money into their 401k on after-tax basis?  I am having a hard time figuring out how much of my stache should be in tax advantaged accounts v. after-tax accounts.

I max out my pre-tax 401k (and now also HSA) contributions every year and started investing another $50-60K on after tax basis a year (actual amount dependent on bonus but last year I started $4K per month automatic investment program that will result in a minimum of $48K invested per year).  I am not eligible for a Roth 401k or IRA and I figured that instead opening another traditional IRA (not tax deductible), I can put money on after tax basis into my 401k.  Last year I contributed about $10K over the IRS max.

So the question I have, should I be doing that or should I just invest it through my brokerage account?

I am planning to retire in 4 and half years at the age of 50 1/2. 

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
Re: After tax contributions to 401k or taxable account?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 03:14:00 PM »
If you've already asked this question on this forum before I'm just going to flag this post. It's not meant as offense but multiple conversations on the same exact question won't yield all that many different answers.

ZiziPB

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean to duplicate. It's just that the audience in the Investor Alley seems very different than in Ask a Mustachian. 

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 05:14:11 PM »
Sorry, didn't mean to duplicate. It's just that the audience in the Investor Alley seems very different than in Ask a Mustachian.

It's all the same forum members.

I'll move your other one in here.  Locking duplicate thread.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!