Author Topic: Admiral Shares!  (Read 5408 times)

unitsinc

• Stubble
Admiral Shares!
« on: January 16, 2013, 02:35:39 PM »
I just converted one of my Vanguard holdings to the Admiral Shares version.

Was just excited and wanted to share.

Anyone else got anything exciting going on?

cbr shadow

• Bristles
Re: Admiral Shares!
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »
I'll be doing that on my Roth IRA and wife's Roth IRA after this year's contribution.  I'm not sure how big of a difference this will make, but less fees is always a good thing!

Mr Mark

• Handlebar Stache
  • Achieved Financial Independence summer 2014. RE'18
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2013, 03:16:24 PM »
Congrats! Why don't they do it automatically? And did it generate a taxable sell/ buy transaction?

Thanks for sharing!

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2013, 03:25:27 PM »
Congrats! Why don't they do it automatically? And did it generate a taxable sell/ buy transaction?

Thanks for sharing!

I'd guess they don't do it automatically because there could be a taxable transaction.
There isn't for me because I did it in my Roth IRA, so I think I'm clear.

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2013, 03:37:18 PM »
I was able to convert something to admiral shares for the first time a year or two ago and was pretty pleased so I understand :)

I picked up a freelancing gig this past Fri-Sun that worked out to 50 hours.

Not an investing thing, but still, you asked for exciting.  Particularly as the paycheck from my regular job was hella low because I decided to try maxing out my 401K so I'm like, daaang, there's some inspiration to kick it up a notch on the freelancing.

unitsinc

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2013, 03:44:43 PM »
I was able to convert something to admiral shares for the first time a year or two ago and was pretty pleased so I understand :)

I picked up a freelancing gig this past Fri-Sun that worked out to 50 hours.

Not an investing thing, but still, you asked for exciting.  Particularly as the paycheck from my regular job was hella low because I decided to try maxing out my 401K so I'm like, daaang, there's some inspiration to kick it up a notch on the freelancing.

Haha, yeah, when I went from a low percent up to the right percent to max it, my check took a noticeable dive, but after the first one I honestly didn't even think about it.

And congrats on the extra dough!

sheepstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 05:29:52 PM »
Welllll, mine is now half what it was because the max amount is 58% of my salary.  I can live on what is left but if I keep IRA contributions as they are now I will start eating into savings so that's my motivation for the freelance.

Also exciting: my $125 bonus for opening an ING checking account cleared.

Sorry, now I'm on a roll. Maybe I should start my own thread next time.

sol

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 05:38:49 PM »
My conversions to admiral shares earlier this year were not taxable events, as reported on my new 1099.

I did note that while Vanguard sent me an email saying I could convert to admiral shares manually, they wouldn't do it automatically until a certain amount of time had lapsed.  I logged in and did it manually to get the lower fees a little sooner.

John74

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 06:01:46 PM »
Vanguard automatically converts investor shares to admiral shares only once a quarter for eligible accounts. You can do it manually if you do not want to wait for the automatic conversion. Conversion is a non taxable event.

TLV

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 06:02:11 PM »
I did a manual conversion when I qualified, but it happened to fall on the day of an automatic deposit. So I ended up with ~$10k in admiral shares and $500 in regular shares, which I had to manually convert again a few days later.

TheDude

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »
Congrats thats awesome! I hate expenses big or small they all suck!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!