Author Topic: Active investors/Day Traders Thread  (Read 127538 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Active investors/Day Traders Thread
« Reply #100 on: March 14, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »
I respect Kingcoins opinions 100% as he is a very smart/intelligent person and in other areas have take note of his advice HOWEVER, I didn't start this thread to defend myself and to your point he has no idea of A) what my portfolio is made up of and B) what percentage I make or my other motives to be trading.  As I have mentioned I have been doing this for longer than I believe half his age so I feel pretty comfortable in what I am doing. So having said that I will move on from that discussion and not address it again.

My apologies. That wasn't meant to be an attack, just a back of the envelope calculation. You're right, I don't know how much excess return you're adding. Maybe it's 50% over the index so you're making 5% incremental return (you mentioned that you only actively trade 10% of your portfolio). Maybe it's just fun, in which case I say enjoy.

I'm a trader myself so I'm not knocking active investing broadly (though I don't trade liquid equities).

Totally understood! No harm no foul! Have a good weekend!

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2014, 09:22:35 AM »
Did not mention this here but I re-entered INVN yesterday and also bought FMI. Both were breakouts to all time highs.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »
Did not mention this here but I re-entered INVN yesterday and also bought FMI. Both were breakouts to all time highs.

awesome! I have been bored the last 2 days which is okay! Havent added or sold yet. I am looking at nibbling on TZA if the uptrend continues.  But for now will just ride it back up and research.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2014, 12:16:47 PM »
Sold all my shares in
MAT
MO
COP
LFC
TGT
SDRL
FCX
SO
1/2 shares in NE
GPT
GE
SQM
T
GM
C
PG

Have 11 postions long and Still am waiting to add TZA to play the shortside.

I might miss some upside/maybe alot BUT risk/reward is extended so I will bet I can buy alot back on pullbacks.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2014, 01:22:27 PM »
Sheesh I don't know how you can keep up with all those stocks. Actively at least.

I have 10 individual stocks but all I do is move up trailing stops from time to time. The market takes me out when the stops are triggered.

You are a man among boys to be able to actively get in and out of 10-20 stocks on a whim.

I'm guessing this market is going to be choppy most of this year so buying dips and selling rips will pay. I'm more long term so I just hold or get stopped out during these times. It's frustrating to sit through however.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »
Made 2% today!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »
Sheesh I don't know how you can keep up with all those stocks. Actively at least.

I have 10 individual stocks but all I do is move up trailing stops from time to time. The market takes me out when the stops are triggered.

You are a man among boys to be able to actively get in and out of 10-20 stocks on a whim.

I'm guessing this market is going to be choppy most of this year so buying dips and selling rips will pay. I'm more long term so I just hold or get stopped out during these times. It's frustrating to sit through however.
Made 2% today!

Anything is a guess right now with all the news and the market run up BUT there has been a trading range and one can only suspect it will be that until it isnt. Large volume in large volume out.  This last rotation wasnt as good as the last. BUT give what the market offers.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2014, 08:10:24 AM »
Direxion Daily Small Cap Bear 3x Shares  (TZA) added shares this morning.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #108 on: March 20, 2014, 10:25:45 AM »
Sold two of my larger holdings (shares) that made me some coin. SNV and MUA. I am continuing to raise cash, I bid for more shorts today. Making my list and will be adding opportunistic positions when the market gives them to me. Got out of a few names premature the otherday but thats ok. As everyone knows you cant know the top but also don't want to be greedy. There are a few nice divy place that are under pressure that I will be looking to add if it continues and also names in beaten down sectors that in my opinion are getting to cheap to own. Most likely i wont add names ahead of the weekend however unless something really presents itself.

Numbers Man

« Reply #109 on: March 20, 2014, 11:42:35 AM »
Still holding Chipotle since it is acting well.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #110 on: March 20, 2014, 11:50:19 AM »
Still holding Chipotle since it is acting well.

Run with a winner!!  congrats!

I initiated a position today in AINV. With my research I feel I will be reward long term and its almost 9.5 Divy makes it attractive risk/reward.  Do your own research this is NOT a recommendation.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #111 on: March 21, 2014, 07:46:14 AM »
Bought  RIG this morning pre-market right at 40$. This is/has been a good support level. I am at this point looking at it as a longer term holding with its 5.5% Divy.  This sector has been hit hard so been nibbling and am long NE also at lower levels.

*** This is NOT a recommendation and is my own view point! Do your own research.

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #112 on: March 21, 2014, 08:43:14 AM »
Bought  RIG this morning pre-market right at 40$. This is/has been a good support level. I am at this point looking at it as a longer term holding with its 5.5% Divy.  This sector has been hit hard so been nibbling and am long NE also at lower levels.

*** This is NOT a recommendation and is my own view point! Do your own research.

What kind of average returns do you get trading?  (If you don't mind me asking)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #113 on: March 21, 2014, 09:06:31 AM »

What kind of average returns do you get trading?  (If you don't mind me asking)

a little over 9.28% since 2004 when i started tracking after all costs etc.. BUT have gotten better year after in compared to the indexes as I obviously had alot to learn. Last year was obviously really good and I lost alot in 2008. Going through the same amount of time again all things being equal I am sure I would do better , but then again who knows. I do it because i like it. That is the number one reason obviously other than of course making money. I just like learning about business etc... and as a business owner i find companies I want to do business with and pass on to my sales people to call on because I know i will get paid. Plus it helps to say we hold stock in your company!

I just wanted to add I wouldn't recommend to anyone to do it unless they can afford to lose the money, really have the time to do the research as I do and want to learn it and become better at it and most importantly really really enjoy doing it. If , as you know your not disciplined you will sure to lose your ass.  Plus I trade a very small portion of my overall net portfolio net worth.

I am also trying to move as i am getting older into basically just trying to build my own Index fund per sae but the trader in me keeps gnawing at me!! :-)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 09:13:06 AM by soccerluvof4 »

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2014, 09:00:52 AM »
With the recent weakness in Biotechs I'm seeing several stops and trailing stops getting taken out. Today stopped out INVN. Friday stopped out FMI. Also stopped out AER and IRBT. I'm tightening up all my stops in the rest of my stocks to at least breakeven. I'm thinking this might be the end of the biotech 'bubble.' All the momentum stocks are getting killed. Usually when those break down the short to intermediate downtrend is real.

As far as average return on my trading, I only started trading while knowing what I was doing in 2013. The 2 years before that I had no clue what I was doing and I basically broke even. However, in a good bull year I expect to double or triple my trading account, while in a downtrend lose very little or not lose anything because all my trailing stops were hit. There's really only 3-5 good bull runs in a 10 year period.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #115 on: March 26, 2014, 10:39:35 AM »
Market looks more and more tired.

Haven't done much of late so no reason really to post. Added to a few holdings.

I am still holding on to 3/4 of my position in TZA

I initiated a position in TBF as my short bond position

I initiated a position today in PAAS. Good miner to play silver and yields nearly 4%.

As always these are of my own opionions and are in NO WAY recommendations. Do your own research! and protect yourself!

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #116 on: March 26, 2014, 10:57:24 AM »

From a technical angle, shorting the long bond (10yr, 20yr) seems dicey.  It's the 6th time TBF has tested 30.50 in the past two months. With each test of support, another layer of demand is removed. 

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #117 on: March 26, 2014, 12:49:33 PM »

From a technical angle, shorting the long bond (10yr, 20yr) seems dicey.  It's the 6th time TBF has tested 30.50 in the past two months. With each test of support, another layer of demand is removed.

yeah....I cant argue that but I am going with my conviction on this. I will be at the helm daily keeping an eye on it! :-)

MrCash

• Stubble
    • OurCashHouse
« Reply #118 on: March 26, 2014, 01:45:07 PM »
Got back in the market today.  We'll see what the rest of this week holds!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #119 on: March 26, 2014, 02:01:50 PM »
Got back in the market today.  We'll see what the rest of this week holds!

I am increasing my short side!

mowgil

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2014, 12:43:30 AM »
I am glad i found this Thread. For the most part I index and when I rebalance, I tend to adjust my target allocations a bit in either direction depending on my outlook on the markets. (and I tend to heed Warren Buffett's advice on the whole "be fearful when people are greedy, greedy when they are fearful" thing. But I do find the active side very interesting. I don't trade daily, but I tend to look for companies i think are undervalued and then buy and hold for an indeterminate period of time. I enjoy following financials and tend to be more comfortable with those or other blue chip companies where I can at least partially wrap my head around how the business works. I am currently long KEY, WMT, and UN.
Given the recent stress tests that a couple banks failed, I may take a closer look at their financials and see if C (Citi) is a potential option.

I am still new to this and am looking to have a stronger set of quantitative criteria to support my future decisions.

lordrtype1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Location: The Big Valley-between the Mississippi and the Rockies
  • A human, living on a planet the locals call Earth.
« Reply #121 on: March 27, 2014, 03:42:21 AM »
I see a lot of good individual stock plays, And might consider some.

Presently, I only invest in penny stocks, because I don't have much Investment capital I can directly invest (yet).  However, my research has shown one path I'm going to engage in later is options trading, and some of the methods I've investigated (on paper--I don't have 15k to get the actual positions) have never lost money.

I've only been doing it about 6 months, so I can't say I've got a solid case for the annual numbers, but it ranges from 15-25% annually so far, maybe 1% off with costs for trades and options contracts.  And while there are a lot of stocks you could trade, I prefer blue-chip stocks, since they're more consistent.  The volatile stocks could make you more, but, even on paper, I'm bad about timing with them, and I couldn't beat the blue-chip numbers.  Since I personally have health issues, I've also looked into some annuities that actually let me invest and pay for my insurance, in some very creative ways.  I don't know enough about them to comment yet, but they look very promising.

There are also a few annuities that are indexed and work like a CD/ira/index fund Combination I'm checking into, but they are more for capital RE, since they allow you to have the tax benefits and garanteed rate of return of an annuity, and the index gains of stocks.

Even with my penny stocks, I do use trailing stops, but I mostly invest in dividend stocks, so I don't really need the stops, outside of knowing how much is my money, and how much is stock appreciation/dividend reinvestment. I'm bad on picking winners, so I invest in dividend-paying stocks to limit losses (I've already had them, but volitility my stocks can range from -10% to +25% in a week), but the losses are only losses when you sell.  I usually buy when they take a nosedive, because the Dividend on this stock is pretty good (ESPECIALLY when its low!).

My 401k is invested in a target date fund (2040-it predates being here), but I also invest in an index tied to S&P 500, one tied to gold, and one tied to international large cap, a 40/20/20/20 split respectively, though most is still in the 2040 target fund (I'm still contributing, and the 2040 fund is actually doing spectacularly compared to the others (20% gain in principle, vs 5-8% on everything else), so I've chosen to allow time to rebalance the funds, as I contribute more.

Once I have more capital, and can invest more, I'll probably get a IRA (I haven't decided which), and that's going to be where the big moves will be, since it's the pot that will determine when I leave work for good.  My plan is 700k (that's always been my goal, even before I found this site), But I want more like 1.5 million, just to be safe.  I can have the larger number, if I combine the saving approach I've found here, with the investment approaches I've found elsewhere, and still be FIRE on time.

I'm paranoid about this, even though I know and understand how all of this works, and have since 4th grade.  I've even worked in insurance (lic. Life and Health, working on brokerage and securities lic. someday), but I still prefer to have WAY too much, over plenty enough.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #122 on: March 27, 2014, 05:52:35 AM »
I am glad i found this Thread. For the most part I index and when I rebalance, I tend to adjust my target allocations a bit in either direction depending on my outlook on the markets. (and I tend to heed Warren Buffett's advice on the whole "be fearful when people are greedy, greedy when they are fearful" thing. But I do find the active side very interesting. I don't trade daily, but I tend to look for companies i think are undervalued and then buy and hold for an indeterminate period of time. I enjoy following financials and tend to be more comfortable with those or other blue chip companies where I can at least partially wrap my head around how the business works. I am currently long KEY, WMT, and UN.
Given the recent stress tests that a couple banks failed, I may take a closer look at their financials and see if C (Citi) is a potential option.

I am still new to this and am looking to have a stronger set of quantitative criteria to support my future decisions.

Key has been a great stock to own as has alot of smaller and regional banks.  Personally I like the smaller banks as big banks are buying them up one at a time to increase there deposits. Citi if you read back i made some money on when it was ramping but all large banks are looking to get slammed again here.

Thats just my opinion and I am not making any recommendations do your own homework!

Good to have you aboard!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #123 on: March 27, 2014, 05:57:44 AM »
I see a lot of good individual stock plays, And might consider some.

Presently, I only invest in penny stocks, because I don't have much Investment capital I can directly invest (yet).  However, my research has shown one path I'm going to engage in later is options trading, and some of the methods I've investigated (on paper--I don't have 15k to get the actual positions) have never lost money.

I've only been doing it about 6 months, so I can't say I've got a solid case for the annual numbers, but it ranges from 15-25% annually so far, maybe 1% off with costs for trades and options contracts.  And while there are a lot of stocks you could trade, I prefer blue-chip stocks, since they're more consistent.  The volatile stocks could make you more, but, even on paper, I'm bad about timing with them, and I couldn't beat the blue-chip numbers.  Since I personally have health issues, I've also looked into some annuities that actually let me invest and pay for my insurance, in some very creative ways.  I don't know enough about them to comment yet, but they look very promising.

There are also a few annuities that are indexed and work like a CD/ira/index fund Combination I'm checking into, but they are more for capital RE, since they allow you to have the tax benefits and garanteed rate of return of an annuity, and the index gains of stocks.

Even with my penny stocks, I do use trailing stops, but I mostly invest in dividend stocks, so I don't really need the stops, outside of knowing how much is my money, and how much is stock appreciation/dividend reinvestment. I'm bad on picking winners, so I invest in dividend-paying stocks to limit losses (I've already had them, but volitility my stocks can range from -10% to +25% in a week), but the losses are only losses when you sell.  I usually buy when they take a nosedive, because the Dividend on this stock is pretty good (ESPECIALLY when its low!).

My 401k is invested in a target date fund (2040-it predates being here), but I also invest in an index tied to S&P 500, one tied to gold, and one tied to international large cap, a 40/20/20/20 split respectively, though most is still in the 2040 target fund (I'm still contributing, and the 2040 fund is actually doing spectacularly compared to the others (20% gain in principle, vs 5-8% on everything else), so I've chosen to allow time to rebalance the funds, as I contribute more.

Once I have more capital, and can invest more, I'll probably get a IRA (I haven't decided which), and that's going to be where the big moves will be, since it's the pot that will determine when I leave work for good.  My plan is 700k (that's always been my goal, even before I found this site), But I want more like 1.5 million, just to be safe.  I can have the larger number, if I combine the saving approach I've found here, with the investment approaches I've found elsewhere, and still be FIRE on time.

I'm paranoid about this, even though I know and understand how all of this works, and have since 4th grade.  I've even worked in insurance (lic. Life and Health, working on brokerage and securities lic. someday), but I still prefer to have WAY too much, over plenty enough.

Good to have you aboard. I am a self taught trader and have been doing for 15+ years. In the early years I made some mistakes but I always did use trailing stops. I only started keeping exact tract since about 2004 but feel everday i gain more knowledge and get better at it. I pretty much do full time since I am in ER and have the time. I think the most important part for me was figuring out what system worked best for me and feel i am establishing that.  Its good to have some fear to respect the markets.  Good luck to you and hope to see you around!

GoldenStache

• Stubble
« Reply #124 on: March 27, 2014, 06:30:19 AM »
Anyone else dabbling in bank options?

I picked up some MS and WFC calls about 6 months ago, today might be the day I sell out of my WFC.  I hit 120% gains on MS 2 months ago but got greedy and wanted it to get to 200%, since then it has dropped back to 20% gains. 

Chipotle will always be my nemisis.  It was one of the first stocks that I was ready to short at the time of the IPO.  I had been to eat there three times at different locations and every time the food was horrible and tasted like soap.  I thought there was no way this company would make money.  I had the short filled out but wanted to see what the first 5 minutes would bring so I waited.  The stock took off and never looked back (my short was priced in the low $30s).  I have since learned that there is a genitic trait for the taste of cilantro and most people do not think it tastes like soap.  I realized that in the grand scheme of the stock world, my opinion does not matter.

If I would have bought and held I would be sitting pretty, if I would have excuted my short, I would have lost everything and a lot more.   
Live and Learn

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #125 on: March 27, 2014, 08:01:44 AM »
Not I. I prefer NWBI, CHEV, CZWI,HFBC just to name a few. Buy hold, stops, Divys on some and possible takeouts!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #126 on: March 27, 2014, 09:54:52 AM »
Markets bi-polar today. Despite the nice gain glad i have still 50% of my TZA. I am now putting some buys in below the market.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #127 on: March 27, 2014, 02:52:47 PM »
None of my buy orders hit however I did add ever so slightly to my long TBF.

One stealth stock I really like is MONIF but if it hits 1.15$ if you do your research on it, you might like what you find.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #128 on: March 27, 2014, 05:49:58 PM »
For the people who said you need a lot of money to start trading, I have managed to trade (although not many day trades) a $1700 IRA into $44,000 in a little over 13 years.  I even did it at Etrade with their horrendous commissions.  I use OptionsHouse now (much much cheaper).

Most trades are on stocks similar to the OP although I have had to use options to leverage my money in some cases (for example I have done call spreads on Apple when it drops below $500 and have made 40% returns on $5,000 investments).

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: March 27, 2014, 05:56:02 PM »
I am a buyer of FCX if it dips below $31, sold it today for $32.60 ($700 profit on 500 shares).

I am dabbling in TC, which is a small copper/gold/moly miner with a fancy big new mine and a lot of debt.  Trading at $2.12.  If they get the mine running full capacity and copper stays near $3 I expect revenue to grow 60% by mid 2015.  If it does, the stock won't be $2.12.

Wow, TC was up 7% yesterday in the horrible market and up 11% today to near $3.  Quite the rise from when it was trading at $2.12 just a few days ago.

Probably had something to do with them reporting their fancy new mine just produced 40,000 ounces of gold and 14 million pounds of copper.  I knew this would happen.  I only bought 6000 shares though below $2...have to stay diversified and all...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:15:47 AM by Roland of Gilead »

Vjklander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #130 on: March 27, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »
My accounts all have CHD as the anchor and LNCO as the risky Divvy. then I add 1 oil stock from COP, XOM, VLO.  Then add in 1 utility - mostly POM or D. Then add I phone VZ or ATT.  Most have either WFM or WM.  Most have CAT or GE.  I have a serious love-hate relationship with GE. Once they get rid of the rest of their finance arm I will be happier.  I only invest in companies that produce something or at least produce value added. No financial stocks (except GE), no techs, I refuse to invest in or buy products from any company that got bailouts or were nationalized. Period . Never will. Ever.
Vjk

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #131 on: March 28, 2014, 09:10:20 AM »
My accounts all have CHD as the anchor and LNCO as the risky Divvy. then I add 1 oil stock from COP, XOM, VLO.  Then add in 1 utility - mostly POM or D. Then add I phone VZ or ATT.  Most have either WFM or WM.  Most have CAT or GE.  I have a serious love-hate relationship with GE. Once they get rid of the rest of their finance arm I will be happier.  I only invest in companies that produce something or at least produce value added. No financial stocks (except GE), no techs, I refuse to invest in or buy products from any company that got bailouts or were nationalized. Period . Never will. Ever.
Vjk
I am a buyer of FCX if it dips below $31, sold it today for $32.60 ($700 profit on 500 shares).

I am dabbling in TC, which is a small copper/gold/moly miner with a fancy big new mine and a lot of debt.  Trading at $2.12.  If they get the mine running full capacity and copper stays near $3 I expect revenue to grow 60% by mid 2015.  If it does, the stock won't be $2.12.

I to am a buyer of FCX around 31$

VJK I am a holder of COP , VOD  , SO for my utitlity I would add other positions in all sectors if prices come in.

I am a buyer of AUY today and have traded around the position 4 or 5 x's in the last year or so as I have with PAAS. So I will continue to add to both. Both have DIVY for support.   Here is the link to see the obvious pattern in AUY  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AUY+Basic+Chart&t=1y.  If you research it you might like the management as well.

I also like the split up in BAX so am bidding below the market ....alot like what abbott labs did. IMHO this will serve well for the stock.

As always my opinions are of my own research and none of these are recommendations. Do your own research!!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #132 on: March 28, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
More to report on why i keep buying ARCP besides my previous posts!

American Realty Capital Properties (ARCP +2.2%) chairman and CEO Nicholas Schorsch yesterday purchased 50K shares of company stock at a price of $13.78 each, bringing his stake up to 3.6M shares.

Long ARCP

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #133 on: March 28, 2014, 09:45:44 AM »
While i said my favorite stealth stock that I have been watching for awhile and will start buying at 1.20 is MONI.L/MONIF

Here is a piece by the CEO    http://player.h2glenfern.com/index.php/monitise240314?pid=38 

Do your own research , this is not a recommendation and penny stocks are even more riskier!!!!!!!!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #134 on: March 28, 2014, 09:49:53 AM »
I like watching insider purchases also.  When I saw the officers at Corning (GLW) purchasing shares at $13 to $15, I also purchased.  Today just a few month later Corning is at $20+

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #135 on: March 28, 2014, 10:23:39 AM »
I like watching insider purchases also.  When I saw the officers at Corning (GLW) purchasing shares at $13 to $15, I also purchased.  Today just a few month later Corning is at $20+

Good company, good products. I traded it as well but got out awhile ago. They have some cool stuff on there website there coming out with. If you havent already check it out.

I am now long BAX as my bid was met! nibbling!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #136 on: March 28, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
More on MONI.L/MONIF....wish my 1.20 would hit.  I will not bend!

Edison and Progressive research reports out on Monitise web site. Link below.

http://www.monitise.com/upload...

http://www.monitise.com/upload...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #137 on: March 28, 2014, 01:01:31 PM »
I am now the proud owner of 1/4 position of MONI.L/MONIF.....make me proud now!!  I have several other bids in below the market.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #138 on: March 28, 2014, 02:04:07 PM »
alot of whipsawing this week BUT was better than last! Having said that if your interested do some research on BONT. I see a 1$ downside and a 5$ upside! I am all in at 10.80$ if it gets there.  Also check out the stuff I posted on MONI.L/MONIF for you riskier players!

Having said that everyone have a great weekend and a prosperous one!!!

Added a few new positions this week , AUY, PAAS , TBF, MONIF, BAX to name a few!

***None of my posts are meant in anyway to be recommendations. Do your own research!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: March 28, 2014, 02:19:24 PM »
39% of BONT float shorted...that is either a train wreck or is going to be a glorious short squeeze.

Too risky for my blood.  I would rather buy out of the money Apple calls.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #140 on: March 28, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
Since I am a momentum trader and momentum, and specifically the biotechs which I owned several, have gotten killed this week, I've been stopped out of every position but HZNP. So, just 1 stock left for me besides my ETFs. Could be a while before a stock sets up right for me to buy it.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #141 on: March 28, 2014, 02:43:20 PM »
Since I am a momentum trader and momentum, and specifically the biotechs which I owned several, have gotten killed this week, I've been stopped out of every position but HZNP. So, just 1 stock left for me besides my ETFs. Could be a while before a stock sets up right for me to buy it.

I dont know if you owned it or not but take a peak at TXMD!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #142 on: March 28, 2014, 02:46:02 PM »
39% of BONT float shorted...that is either a train wreck or is going to be a glorious short squeeze.

Too risky for my blood.  I would rather buy out of the money Apple calls.

YEP! Bears are going to get slaughtered on this one!....................I hope! haha. But I like it! I wont go in the woods with them though unless 10.80 or below!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #143 on: March 28, 2014, 02:54:38 PM »

Don't mention biotech.  I had 10,000 shares of Vanda (VNDA) when it was $4 a share.  It had over $4 a share in actual cash and a drug in the pipeline.   It spent a year going nowhere and I sold, only to see it go to $18 over the next 6 months.   One of my biggest misses.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2014, 07:19:54 AM »
Another product realease From MONI.L/MONIF

http://www.monitise.com/news/press_releases?id=883

Long..MONIF

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2014, 07:26:24 AM »
I ended up buying and selling TC (Thompson Creek) four times last week, making $0.10 to $0.25 each share per trade.  I only did this with a few thousand shares so we are talking $800 total in gains.  Still, it is nice to start the week all cash and end the week all cash and be $800 higher.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2014, 07:43:37 AM »
I ended up buying and selling TC (Thompson Creek) four times last week, making $0.10 to $0.25 each share per trade.  I only did this with a few thousand shares so we are talking $800 total in gains.  Still, it is nice to start the week all cash and end the week all cash and be $800 higher.

Profit is always a good thing! :-)  I shoot for 2500$ a week. On my in and out stocks!!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2014, 07:56:52 AM »

Profit is always a good thing! :-)  I shoot for 2500$ a week. On my in and out stocks!!

$2500 a week, $10,000 a month would be impossible for me.  You must either take some big risks, use a lot of leverage or have a much larger trading account  :-) 

My trading account is inside a Roth IRA so I have to wait for settlement and such.   This limits the day trading aspect...more like week trading.  The four trades I did on TC was about the limit of my cash when you have to wait for settlement so you don't trigger a free ride.   It is nice though to not pay taxes or have to worry about keeping track of all of these trades when tax time comes around.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2014, 12:13:26 PM »

$2500 a week, $10,000 a month would be impossible for me.  You must either take some big risks, use a lot of leverage or have a much larger trading account  :-) 

My trading account is inside a Roth IRA so I have to wait for settlement and such.   This limits the day trading aspect...more like week trading.  The four trades I did on TC was about the limit of my cash when you have to wait for settlement so you don't trigger a free ride.   It is nice though to not pay taxes or have to worry about keeping track of all of these trades when tax time comes around.

Yes, though a small percentage of my portfolio quite larger BUT it wasn't always that way. Like you I built it up over the years but also transfer profits out of it. I keep the same working amount of capital in account.  But I do keep tight stops unless i just dont care for some reason and I play the market in both directions. If market stays up I am sure I will short the qqq's by days end and the IWM. I also obviously dont have time to post anywhere near what i do in a day on this thread but more what some might be interested in.

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: March 31, 2014, 01:40:40 PM »
If market stays up I am sure I will short the qqq's by days end and the IWM.

I want to put out some tech shorts too but with bank stocks bouncing smartly (in spite of C), I'm loathe to get short with BKX 71 and SPX 1850 comfortably below us.  Even the RUT has recaptured its 50 DMA.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!