Author Topic: Active investors/Day Traders Thread  (Read 127528 times)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
Re: Active investors/Day Traders Thread
« Reply #150 on: March 31, 2014, 02:01:08 PM »
^ I hear ya!

I am overall net short slightly, the market/holdings after today. I also added to AUY and PAAS but very small. Taking what the market gives me.

Have a great day/Night!

Make money while sleeping everyone right! lets hope so!

Final note....KO and other soda companies are getting hammered with alot of bad press these days. Today more about how diet soda attacks the heart. This one I see could get some legs so I might be done with KO but going to see how things go a bit.

Also as a person that has bought and sold BP several times I gotta say this company is losing my respect as well. It just seems they cant go a week with out spilling oil somewhere.

Those are just two opinions that I had call it what you want.  Short time frame I have no plans in doing anything with either stock. The yields are good and I am currently only long KO as I sold my position in BP.  But getting frustrated with them. If you have something to add would love to hear it. You can throw GM in there as well which I am out of awhile ago when it was running up.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
Added a Nibble in ESV new positions so am holding NE, SDRL and ESV in that sector.

Other than that Watching the melt up and

Pressed my shorts! no not the ones i wear!

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #152 on: April 02, 2014, 08:28:46 AM »
soccerluvof4, hope you don't mind me posting in your thread even though I am not really day trading.

Today I did a little Cisco spread.   In one transaction I bought 40 contracts of Oct 2014 $21 calls and sold 40 contracts of June 2014 $23 calls for a net debit of $1.58 which is $6320 + $0 commissions (have 30 free trades left)

Potential profit is $0.42 / $1.58 = 26.5% in about 3 months or annualized profit of 156%

Max loss is of course $6320, but if Cisco is trading at/below $21 in June the October $21 calls will have increased time value due to increased volatility in the stock.  My estimate is break even if Cisco trades at $21.50 in June, which is about 6% below the current price.

Sometimes I do not hold these spreads until they are called away...I may close this one early if something happened and Cisco spiked to $24 or thereabouts.  I try not to get too greedy.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #153 on: April 02, 2014, 09:04:21 AM »
soccerluvof4, hope you don't mind me posting in your thread even though I am not really day trading.

Today I did a little Cisco spread.   In one transaction I bought 40 contracts of Oct 2014 $21 calls and sold 40 contracts of June 2014 $23 calls for a net debit of $1.58 which is $6320 + $0 commissions (have 30 free trades left)

Potential profit is $0.42 / $1.58 = 26.5% in about 3 months or annualized profit of 156%

Max loss is of course $6320, but if Cisco is trading at/below $21 in June the October $21 calls will have increased time value due to increased volatility in the stock.  My estimate is break even if Cisco trades at $21.50 in June, which is about 6% below the current price.

Sometimes I do not hold these spreads until they are called away...I may close this one early if something happened and Cisco spiked to $24 or thereabouts.  I try not to get too greedy.

Not at all! Love the fact that gives people other ideas/options to think about! The more the merrier!!  And good luck on that contact!!!

Please keep stopping by and sharing!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #154 on: April 02, 2014, 09:16:51 AM »
Got back into TZA  , this trade has been working well

Nibbling back into SQU. I like it as an ag play with its exposure to Lithium. Divy not much to talk about.

Buyer of POT at $33 if it gets there after its downgrade yesterday
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 10:13:00 AM by soccerluvof4 »

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #155 on: April 02, 2014, 10:17:27 AM »
Rolling with Socs on the short side again, QQQ puts and a little TZA (smaller than last week).  Keeping it small, stops tight, and fingers crossed.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #156 on: April 02, 2014, 10:37:42 AM »
If you remember the other day I mentioned one of my favorite mining stocks to trade is TC.  Today it is up 7% and someone has purchased 1800 June $3 calls (the stock currently is $2.35).   Very interesting.

I only have 4000 shares at a cost basis of $1.90 but if it breaks $3 that is good money.

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2014, 10:40:54 AM »
If you remember the other day I mentioned one of my favorite mining stocks to trade is TC.  Today it is up 7% and someone has purchased 1800 June $3 calls (the stock currently is $2.35).   Very interesting.

I only have 4000 shares at a cost basis of $1.90 but if it breaks $3 that is good money.

Given the high short interest, could be a hedge.

In any case, nice trade!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2014, 10:52:46 AM »
Bidding for more TZA below the Market

MONIF is getting Jiggy but will keep adding if 1.15

BONT I will buy at 10.80$

TBF is working as well and I see this playing out over 2014

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2014, 01:11:05 PM »
Nice work on TBF.  Bonds pulled backed hard past couple of days.

Covering shorts, taking my ball and going home.  With SPX sitting at all  time highs and working higher, I don't want to fight this.  For now I'll just watch from the bleachers. 

« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:15:08 PM by smedleyb »

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2014, 01:58:30 PM »
I bought into SDRL today, small position (500 shares) at $35.28

I haven't owned SDRL for 4 years...we will see how this goes.  I might buy some RIG if the whole sector drops.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2014, 02:04:54 PM »
I bought into SDRL today, small position (500 shares) at $35.28

I haven't owned SDRL for 4 years...we will see how this goes.  I might buy some RIG if the whole sector drops.

they might be volatile but will be fine. SDRL has like over 92% of there rigs booked for this year already and 65% already for 2015.  I also am long RIG.  Just a beat down sector so I have 4 or 5 if 3 do well I do well. But imo they should be fine but perhaps as I said volatile . I will add on weakness as well

Vjklander

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #162 on: April 02, 2014, 06:11:38 PM »
My accounts all have CHD as the anchor and LNCO as the risky Divvy. then I add 1 oil stock from COP, XOM, VLO.  Then add in 1 utility - mostly POM or D. Then add I phone VZ or ATT.  Most have either WFM or WM.  Most have CAT or GE.  I have a serious love-hate relationship with GE. Once they get rid of the rest of their finance arm I will be happier.  I only invest in companies that produce something or at least produce value added. No financial stocks (except GE), no techs, I refuse to invest in or buy products from any company that got bailouts or were nationalized. Period . Never will. Ever.
Vjk
I am a buyer of FCX if it dips below $31, sold it today for $32.60 ($700 profit on 500 shares).

I am dabbling in TC, which is a small copper/gold/moly miner with a fancy big new mine and a lot of debt.  Trading at $2.12.  If they get the mine running full capacity and copper stays near $3 I expect revenue to grow 60% by mid 2015.  If it does, the stock won't be $2.12.

I to am a buyer of FCX around 31$

VJK I am a holder of COP , VOD  , SO for my utitlity I would add other positions in all sectors if prices come in.

I am a buyer of AUY today and have traded around the position 4 or 5 x's in the last year or so as I have with PAAS. So I will continue to add to both. Both have DIVY for support.   Here is the link to see the obvious pattern in AUY  http://finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=AUY+Basic+Chart&t=1y.  If you research it you might like the management as well.

I also like the split up in BAX so am bidding below the market ....alot like what abbott labs did. IMHO this will serve well for the stock.

As always my opinions are of my own research and none of these are recommendations. Do your own research!!

Those are some good choices.  I only buy US stocks anymore ... I have a few minor positions in FCX, but mostly of my gold and silver is in bullion and in my possession. Hey, its all free now :)
When Gold hit 1800, I sold enough to recoup my entire original investment - so everything I have left is gravy. very expensive gravy, but gravy nonetheless.
My MNKD hit paydirt last night, but I only bought $1500 worth as a crap shoot a few months back ...
Vjk

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2014, 07:12:47 AM »
Short SPY pre-market!

I am adding to my shorts as I see fit.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2014, 08:01:25 AM »
How are you doing YTD?  My account just hit 12% return, which isn't bad at all.   The SDRL purchase yesterday was a small drag but offset by Cisco going up.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2014, 08:05:29 AM »
How are you doing YTD?  My account just hit 12% return, which isn't bad at all.   The SDRL purchase yesterday was a small drag but offset by Cisco going up.

Mid 11's but thats more because of my shorts right now.

Bidding on shares below the Market of both UNIS and TXMD.  Unis has dropped 35% 9 of the last 10 days because of the Biotech sell-off. This is one that was nice to trade around 4+ times last year with 60% profits. +/-. So time to get back into them both.

SnackDog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #166 on: April 03, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
SDRL and RIG are at risk of 1) high labor and equipment prices causing all majors to cut back activity and 2) falling oil and gas prices due to North American output increases. 

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #167 on: April 03, 2014, 08:29:31 AM »
SDRL and RIG are at risk of 1) high labor and equipment prices causing all majors to cut back activity and 2) falling oil and gas prices due to North American output increases.

#2 doesn't concern me as much because 1) I do not believe oil and gas prices are actually going to fall and 2) If they do fall, my mining stocks will soar because fuel prices are a major factor in mine expenses

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #168 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07:36 AM »

That was some pretty good timing.  This spread is now going for $1.72 the next day (up $560 on $6320 investment).  Much higher and I am just going to cash it out early.  10% in a week is better than 25% in 2 months.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #169 on: April 03, 2014, 10:47:18 AM »

That was some pretty good timing.  This spread is now going for $1.72 the next day (up $560 on $6320 investment).  Much higher and I am just going to cash it out early.  10% in a week is better than 25% in 2 months.

Nice work!!

Unis is running on me! shit
Got into TXMD

Taking of 1/3 TZA

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #170 on: April 03, 2014, 12:30:47 PM »
sold remainder of TZA

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2014, 08:32:29 AM »
This is definitely a market for traders not investors.

Brought in pre-market nice profit on the qqq's short.

Looking at shorting some insurers.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2014, 08:36:30 AM »
I don't have any ideas today.   Got any symbols you are interested in for a long position?   I would prefer something like GENC of last year...it was trading at $7 and had $8.50 in cash.  Now it is trading for $10.30 (I guess still an ok value but not as great as before).

I made a few dollars off that stock and would love something similar (but not a biotech please!)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2014, 08:52:06 AM »
Not into the weekend and I am heading out of town. I have a long lists of buys. You can look back in the thread and or I will post some on Monday. But right now everything is thankfully green for a change. I did add to VOD this morning and I like ABR and AYR but not in them yet.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
Ok, I managed to fill a small option play which makes me happy.

Bought 2 contracts of Apple Jan 2015 $450 call and sold 2 contracts Apple July 2014 $530 call for a net debit of $66.

Profit = $14/$66 = 21%

Break even estimated at Apple trading for $500, which is 6% below today's price of $533.

I actually think there is a chance it will drop to the $500 range near term but went ahead and locked in this trade on a down day.

smedleyb

• Bristles
« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2014, 12:44:10 PM »
Market in full melt-down mode.  This morning I tried to reload the QQQ puts I sold the other day, but I was being entirely too cute with my buy order (underbidding all morning) and missed getting filled.  Now I feel like I suck twice!

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #176 on: April 07, 2014, 02:11:25 PM »
The last 3 trading days including today was a good trade in playing my shorts! I am out of all of them but my thesis as well in shorting insurers was good as well.  I am now only net long names in the market. Will add to some on further pullback. Any dead cat bounce and I will add back to my shorts.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2014, 02:19:31 PM »
The last 3 trading days including today was a good trade in playing my shorts! I am out of all of them but my thesis as well in shorting insurers was good as well.  I am now only net long names in the market. Will add to some on further pullback. Any dead cat bounce and I will add back to my shorts.

Hmmm, not sure now.  I saw weakness today in places where there should not be weakness.  I think you would be wise to stay short this market all week.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #178 on: April 07, 2014, 02:23:21 PM »

Hmmm, not sure now.  I saw weakness today in places where there should not be weakness.  I think you would be wise to stay short this market all week.

Normally i would agree but I dont want to get greedy in this market with the amount of $ i had in shorts. Take the money and run. This market has no memory. So I would rather miss more downside than miss my profit taking which i can use to some high divys that are coming into play

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2014, 01:38:36 PM »
I went into Gilead (GILD) today at $69.50 (just 300 shares).  Their Hep C drug has a trillion dollar market and they are a 100B company.  Do the math.

I think the other drugs in their pipeline/inventory make this a worthwhile play.  Downside to maybe $50, upside is $100+ (could be fast)

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2014, 04:26:40 PM »
i did nothing today except research which of course is important. Oh i did add to MONIF which i believe to be a tripler over time.  Further correction and I will hit some buy points I am sure. I also did not reinstitute any shorts as I didnt feel it was right either. Just glad overall i finished in the green today.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #181 on: April 09, 2014, 08:39:00 AM »
adding to MONIF and shorting the QQQ's

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #182 on: April 09, 2014, 09:20:23 AM »
With the CBOE put/call ratio going from .92 to .47 i am looking to add to my shorts.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #183 on: April 10, 2014, 07:35:29 AM »
Independence Realty Trust (IRT), one of my favorite REITs, is initiated as a "Buy" at Wunderlich this morning. Current Div/yield 8.2%

Long IRT

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #184 on: April 11, 2014, 10:39:32 AM »
With the current market weakness, as well as the killing that momentum stocks have had, I only have HZNP left and the trailing stop on that is about to get hit. I did start a fantastic short in FLDM on at $45.19 Feb 3rd and covered 1/2 at the 200 day moving average a few days ago. I'll leave the other 1/2 so see how far down she goes. It's not a large position but it's been enough to get me within a few percent of my previous high water mark. If that's all I gave up at the end of this bull market, I'm very happy with that.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2014, 10:49:30 AM »
Now that mining stock TC that I mentioned on March 27 when it was trading at $2.20 is trading at $3.05 just two weeks later....in a bloody red market.

One of my better calls and plays but I think it will go to $4 before summer is over.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2014, 11:50:01 AM »
Out of all shorts and doing some dip buying. Not much though. MONIF and BONT are close to buy points

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #187 on: April 14, 2014, 01:48:45 PM »
I just did my shortest trade ever.  I normally buy and hold for weeks or months, but today I rebought some August GILD options I had sold for $7.80 and a 15% profit last week.  I got them for $5.90 today and 14 minutes later sold them for $6.50.  $600 total profit, so small beans to you guys but it does get the blood pumping.  Oh great, now I am a day trader.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #188 on: April 15, 2014, 11:58:16 AM »
This morning I sold short Gilead August $67.50 calls for $6.30 then rebought them for $5.20.  I went long August $62.50 Gilead calls for $7.50 in one ira and sold them in another ira when they popped to 8.25. 

A lot of trading, and even though I am a bit red on my Apple spread (long Jan 450 short May 530) the Gilead trading has brought me positive for the day and 21% for the YTD.  If Apple can recover to near 530 I will be sitting pretty.  I just hope it doesn't drop below 450.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #189 on: April 15, 2014, 12:16:13 PM »
I am just continuing to do the same plays since they continue to work.

Been adding to MONIF , BONT and few others on dips. Initiated a buy on ISH today on announcement of lowered forcast , when market goes up been shorting the qqq's, buying the TZA and been paying off well. Had trouble getting on the site for awhile. I have alot of stocks on my radar but being patient for particular entry points.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #190 on: April 16, 2014, 06:57:17 AM »
Pre- market futures look high up on Chinese GDP of 7.4 over 7.3 but no one really believes those numbers do they? having said that Buying up here this morning requires a level of faith that I just don't have after the last 2 days. No way Jose.  I will most likely be adding to shorts.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #191 on: April 16, 2014, 09:41:19 AM »
I sold out of Gilead.  Probably a mistake but it was up another $2000 today in my account and I remembered hogs get slaughtered and all that.'

I also closed out half of my Apple spread for a little bit of a loss.  I still think Apple is a decent play but I also thought Nokia looked pretty good at $15.

Still managed to eek out another 1% today even with the Apple loss, so 22% YTD and mostly all cash (just the remaining Apple spread and a little bit of Cisco).

I would love to get another 5% flash crash in bio to get back into Gilead but that may be wishful thinking.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #192 on: April 16, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
I did buy back into Gilead via August calls, but only a small position about $0.50 per call cheaper than I sold them this morning (Aug $67.50 sold at market open for $6.65, bought back near close for $6.10).

Wow Google got trounced just now.  Biotech should be ok but tech might get hit tomorrow.  Might be a good time to put that cash to work.

I would have tried to short Google but it never works out for me (neither does shorting Facebook, which seems so obvious  a short right here at $59).

thesinecure

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #193 on: April 16, 2014, 03:10:06 PM »
I would have tried to short Google but it never works out for me (neither does shorting Facebook, which seems so obvious  a short right here at $59).

shorting is so hard right now.  i made a couple percent shorting the nasdaq last week but closed it yesterday.

i wanted to short ibm and goog into their earnings, but just didn't feel like the risk/reward was in my favor.

the 200 day averages are still underneath, ibm is around $187-188 (it's $188 after hours as i look now) and goog is like $525 (it's $540-ish after hours).

were probably good candidates for a quick scalp, will be interesting to see if those declines hold to the open tomorrow and if they are deemed company specific or infect the broader market.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #194 on: April 17, 2014, 11:53:08 AM »
Things I did wrong on Wednesday: Exiting half of my Apple spread.  It is worth $1500 more today

Things I did right on Wednesday:  Getting back into Gilead.  Up $1200 today from yesterday.

Finger hovering over the sell button...

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2014, 02:10:39 PM »
Nibbled small on TZA

Initiated a new long on SNH at 22$ good Divy and great value

Added to NE on morning Dip.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2014, 02:17:30 PM »
I ended up selling Gilead and the rest of the Apple spread and now am pure cash, up 23.7% YTD.

There is something about seeing that empty screen and the green 23.7% number...no stocks to worry about.

I may just stay cash for the rest of the year...23.7% is a good return I would be happy with any full year.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2014, 02:36:00 PM »
I ended up selling Gilead and the rest of the Apple spread and now am pure cash, up 23.7% YTD.

There is something about seeing that empty screen and the green 23.7% number...no stocks to worry about.

I may just stay cash for the rest of the year...23.7% is a good return I would be happy with any full year.

I would just keep doing what is working.  I have been doing the same thing and will continue until something changes. But the market is a great trading market right now and in addition when i find some values I added to them for the long term. But this up and down action has been great.

Roland of Gilead

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #198 on: April 17, 2014, 02:40:19 PM »

I would just keep doing what is working.  I have been doing the same thing and will continue until something changes. But the market is a great trading market right now and in addition when i find some values I added to them for the long term. But this up and down action has been great.

I hear you but I am starting to get irrationally nervous that something is going to blow up in my portfolio.  This will be the 15th year in a row where my trading account has had a positive return (average annual return for the past decade has been over 28%).  I am riding on a long long long string of luck...how much longer can it last?

monstera051289

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2014, 07:47:49 PM »
Just found this thread. I swing trade mechanically for a living. The last month has been pretty incredible - definitely a perfect market environment if you're OK with flipping NASDAQ stocks in a day or two. Loving the volatility.

I reserved a bunch of shares of BIOF to short after the morning spike on Monday.