Author Topic: Combining investments accounts  (Read 1983 times)

cobe1245

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Combining investments accounts
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:52:49 PM »
Hi everyone,

I am cleaning house.
I have my 401K in Fidelity from work, my husband has his at Prudential. We both have our Roth IRA at T.Rowe Price. I have some cash (40G) from saving that I want to put in VTSAX. Should I open an account at Vanguard to put this money in? I don't want too many statements or should I just put in T.Rowe Price with the equivalent VTSAX? Is there an equivalent VTSAX at T.Rowe Price? Should I even put that much money in VTSAX?

I just joined this forum and have been reading.

Thanks,
cobe

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
Re: Combining investments accounts
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 12:58:42 PM »
You should be able to put money into Vanguard funds at most any broker.

Not sure how much combining you can really do. Your account is your account and your husband's account is his account. You could move them all to the T. Rowe Price, but they'd still be separate accounts. Though maybe that's more what you're looking to do?

Aggie1999

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »
Number of different brokerages doesn't matter. What matters is the expense ratio of the fund, any transaction/load fees, any account closure fees, etc. Basically don't open any personal accounts at brokerages that charge anything more than the funds expense ratios. Then compare the expense ratios of like Vanguard funds to make sure they are in line with Vanguard.

No clue on T.Rowe Price. Around here Vanguard, Schwab and Fidelity are the normal 3 recommended (probably just because they seem to advertise the most on competing with Vanguard). With Schwab and Fidelity you have to make sure you choose the right fund as they have plenty of non-index, expensive funds you should avoid.

If I was going to buy Vanguard funds I'd probably just go with Vanguard.

cobe1245

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 03:28:58 PM »
Thank you for all the replies. I know I can't combine mine and my husband 401k accounts. Since I have Roth IRA accounts at T.Rowe Price, I was thinking of moving it over to Vanguard and then create a separate account to purchase VTSAX. Is this a good idea? Or just leave the Roth IRA accounts at T.Rowe Price  alone and open an account at Vanguard and purchase VTSAX. When I am at Vanguard site, do I open an investor account or a retirement account? I was thinking of opening a joint investor account. Should I open a Roth IRA account for myself with Vanguard for this tax year and leave the other Roth IRA account at T.Rowe Price?

alexpkeaton

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:48:11 AM »
Honestly, it really doesn't matter. Your money will be invested either way, so how you arrange the accounts is up to you.