Author Topic: Partial Roth IRA transfer to avoid TDAmeritrade Account Closure Fee  (Read 3187 times)

mmm8190

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
I have an old Roth IRA held at TDAmeritrade valued around $6800.  I'd like to transfer it into my existing Vanguard Roth IRA, but TDAmeritrade has a $75 "Outbound full account transfer" fee.  There isn't a fee for a partial transfer.  Is there anything keeping me from doing a partial transfer leaving $0.01 in the TDAmeritrade account?  I have the Vanguard transfer form all filled out to do this, but it just seems too easy to avoid the $75 fee.  Anyone done this?

If I do this, is there some documentation I need to save if/when I need to remove my contributions before turning 59.5?

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
What are you trying to accomplish by consolidating?  I would also find out what the maximum percentage of your account balance you can transfer before it no longer is considered a partial transfer.

mmm8190

• 5 O'Clock Shadow

What are you trying to accomplish by consolidating?  I would also find out what the maximum percentage of your account balance you can transfer before it no longer is considered a partial transfer.
The TD account was my first Roth.  I have since found I prefer the cost structure at Vanguard.  My Vanguard Roth is much bigger so I'd also like to consolidate for convenience.  Lastly, this is in conjunction with the idea of moving a portion of the Vanguard Roth to a new Lending Club Roth.  Moving directly from TD to Lending Club would involve brokerage fees for selling stocks and mutual funds that could be eliminated by transferring elsewhere first.

An account closure definition seems pretty straightforward.  I do not see any account minimum or fees.  Of course, I'm asking the question here as one way of verification and to root out any unintended consequences.  With more planning, I could have avoided this situation all together.  I used to be a TD APEX customer (large total $$ invested in multiple TD accounts which waives the account closure fee), but made the mistake of closing a TD investor account first which made me lose the APEX customer status.

Vagabond76

• Stubble
TD Ameritrade allows you to purchase, sell, and reinvest dividends of several Vanguard ETFs for zero $ commission.  There is no account fee.  Why not just leave it?

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!