Author Topic: 401k or Roth IRA  (Read 2186 times)

justjenn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
401k or Roth IRA
« on: March 02, 2015, 12:55:10 PM »
I'm 25 and just starting to save for retirement. My employer offers a lump sum contribution to the 401k at the end of the year, regardless of how much I put in. I was just wondering if I should continue to contribute to my 401k or to use that to fund my Roth IRA

thanks!

Revelry

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: 401k or Roth IRA
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 01:25:11 PM »
Congratulations!  You're ahead of the curve by saving already.

How much are you able to save?  You can contribute $18k of your own pre-tax money to the 401k, so unless your company chose crappy high-fee funds that's superior to the $5.5k you can put into an IRA.  Even better would be to max out both.
What are your reasons for using a Roth instead of traditional IRA?  It's been described well at MadFientist and GoCurryCracker, but you will reach FI faster with traditional.  There are good reasons for using a Roth though.

Good luck on your journey!

27y/oTennesseeRetiree

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 02:15:46 PM »
I max out both. You can do it!

GlassStash

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 07:56:19 PM »
If you can't do both, 401k is probably the way to go. You will have not only saved on federal income tax, but state and local income tax too.

justjenn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2015, 12:18:16 PM »
thanks everyone!

Revelry - I chose the Roth because it's easier to take money out of it. Not that I'm planning to, but I just like the idea of knowing that I can access it if I really need to. The field I'm in relies on federal grants, so there's not a lot of job security. I have an emergency fund, but I feel better with a second safety net so to speak.