Author Topic: 401K Pension Deposit  (Read 2964 times)

Spectra

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Never Confuse Net-Worth and Self-Worth
401K Pension Deposit
« on: February 25, 2014, 11:58:29 AM »
I joined a new company last year and find it odd that the 401K match isn't a match at all. Every year the directors determine an amount to deposit for you into a 401K irregardless to you depositing anything.

At the moment I am maxing out 2 Roth-IRA's and paying off the house while investing in Vanguard funds for my savings account. The only reason I would invest in the 401K would be to take advantage of the tax deduction once my IRA's are maxed.

Any other reasons someone would contribute?
Also Why would the company take this route over the traditional matching?

eman resu

• Stubble
Re: 401K Pension Deposit
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 08:09:16 PM »
Matching contributions result in a little less predictability/control when it comes to compensation expense.  If you can determine the plan type your employer offers, it might provide some insight into their decision.   

http://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/Plan-Sponsor/401%28k%29-Resource-Guide-Plan-Sponsors-401%28k%29-Plan-Overview

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 08:06:18 AM »
MODERATOR NOTE: Off topic discussion of the word "irregardless" was split off to here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/discussion-about-the-word/

Some minor discussion of this 401k topic was intermixed, but impossible to keep t hat content in one thread and the other in the other thread.

Please keep this on topic.

Thanks!
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

GlassStash

• Stubble
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 08:09:30 AM »
1) Tax deduction benefits and lowering one's marginal tax rate (a great way to maximize Roth contributions) are the main benefits of a 401(k). Also, tax-deferred growth.

2) Some companies are generous, some prefer regular accounting with regular 401(k) contributions on their part, some both. Requiring employee contributions is not something employer have to do. (I can't think of any other reasons at the moment.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!