Author Topic: 401k - investment options  (Read 1915 times)

IowaStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
401k - investment options
« on: January 05, 2015, 08:59:04 AM »
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 08:35:00 AM by IowaStache »

GGNoob

• Pencil Stache
Re: 401k - investment options
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 09:46:55 AM »
If you really don't want to have to change your investments ever, I'd say either Total World Stock (VTWSX), a target retirement date fund, or a LifeStrategy fund. If you did 2 funds (total US and total international), you'd have to rebalance occasionally.

Mr. Captain Cash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • www.mrcaptaincash.com
Re: 401k - investment options
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 10:16:17 AM »
IowaStache,

I would agree with LoganT and invest in Total World Stock if you wanted to invest in one fund and not have to keep a close eye on it. A target retirement date fund usually comes with a greater management expense ratio when compared to a Vanguard index fund such as Total World Stock.

Is the hassle associated with changing a onetime thing? If that was the case I would look at investing in a couple different index funds and rebalancing occasionally.

I am bias on this strategy as it is exactly the same as my portfolio here http://www.mrcaptaincash.com/cash-accumulators/

This strategy has worked really will for me and is not hard to maintain or rebalance. For your situation it might be more index funds then you wish to have but it will possible give you an idea for some funds. Like Ishares S&P/TSX Capped Composite Index with a management fee of 0.05%

Hope this help and I wish with my work investments I had a similar option as yourself!

Mr. Captain Cash

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!