Author Topic: Can you change 403b allocations after you separate from service?  (Read 1092 times)

mustachianteacher

• Stubble
I realize this might be a very basic question, so I apologize in advance.

Right now, the bulk of my husband's and my retirement money is in our 403b accounts, available through our jobs. The investment options are all terrible except for two, and of those two decent ones, we chose to set up our accounts with USAA. This means we can only invest in USAA funds. That's a bit annoying because I'd love to add Vanguard funds, but whatever -- could be much worse. I always thought that perhaps we could initially buy into USAA funds via payroll deduction and then later trade some for non-USAA funds, but nope, not allowed.

After we retire, though, would we THEN be allowed to add non-USAA funds? Or, do you think we'd be allowed to sell some of the USAA funds and buy non-USAA funds? They can't lock you into one company for ever and ever, can they? I don't know if we'll even want to at that point, but I'm curious.

Derrian

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Can you change 403b allocations after you separate from service?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 03:21:13 PM »
after you separate from service (employer) you can rollover your 401k into an IRA with any provider that you like and select whichever funds you like.