Author Topic: Estimating Portfolio to reach x amount  (Read 2575 times)

FastStache

• Bristles
Estimating Portfolio to reach x amount
« on: April 16, 2014, 01:17:55 PM »
My goal is to FIRE when I reach 2 million.  Are there some nice calculators to estimate when I will hit this number given my current portfolio and what I save per month?

Right not I just put in my numbers into excel and play with different returns given maxing out my pre-tax 401K and roth ira.

payitoff

Re: Estimating Portfolio to reach x amount
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 01:27:40 PM »
i find the calculators here very useful:

https://www.dinkytown.net/

FastStache

• Bristles
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 12:53:36 PM »
Those are nice calculators for sure. Definitely the ones with the most tax features I've seen.

I was hoping to find something like firecalc, but for the acquisition phase.

warfreak2

• Handlebar Stache
    • Music by me
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:05:00 PM »
I was hoping to find something like firecalc, but for the acquisition phase.
FIRECalc has a basic feature for this - see the "Not Retired?" tab, enter the actual year you intend to retire, and enter how much you will deposit annually until then. For cFIREsim, you can enter the year you intend to retire at the top, and put your income in the "Income/Savings/SS/Pension" section, with an option to inflation-adjust your income or not.

Neither appear to actually produce a retirement year as an output, though, they require you to enter that yourself, and produce a success rate. But you can keep calculating for different retirement years until you find the earliest year with a success rate of 100% (or whatever success rate you wish).