Author Topic: 30k--invest all at once or over time?  (Read 2429 times)

BH

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
30k--invest all at once or over time?
« on: June 26, 2013, 10:09:17 PM »
Hi,

I am new to this community and relatively new to investing. My wife and I have recently moved about 30k out of CDs with minimal return and we are planning on investing it into an index fund such as VTSAX.

My question: would you invest it all in one lump sum or pursue some alternative strategy? Also, we currently have an ameritrade account that will charge $50 per purchase--any better alternatives out there?

Many thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
Re: 30k--invest all at once or over time?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:50:14 PM »
Welcome to the forums!

There is a current discussion ongoing about this topic here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/ask-a-mustachian/lump-sum-investing/

I'm going to lock this thread to keep all discussion in one place, rather than fragmented, but if that doesn't answer your question feel free to post in that thread with your thoughts!

(Regarding TD Ameritrade, it's not a favored brokerage among most "savvy" investors.  Vanguard, Fidelity, and Charles Schwab usually get the nod.)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!