Author Topic: 25k for side investment hustle, what would you do?  (Read 3225 times)

NOVAMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
25k for side investment hustle, what would you do?
« on: July 11, 2020, 08:30:32 AM »
Hello friends!

I have 25k that I would like to play with as a side investment to my more traditional index funds, etc.

Interested in some creative ideas that are along the lines of short term investments, potentially higher risk but higher return as well. Can include any ideas that also include sweat equity, real estate loans for projects, etc.

Appreciate all of your creativity and ideas!

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
Re: 25k for side investment hustle, what would you do?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 09:01:12 AM »
You didn't note where you live.  If you are American, you are entitled to up to 10 Freddie Mac subsidized real estate loans.  Down payment is only 5% so you could buy rental property(s) with a sticker price of up to half a million.

NOVAMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 09:33:03 AM »
Thanks Raptor Man,

I live in the U.S. I was not aware of that so appreciate the idea!!

JAYSLOL

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 09:19:53 AM »
A lot of my ideas really depend where you are, and how much extra time you want to invest into an “investment/side-hustle”.  If I had an extra $25k that I wanted to flip into a lot more money, I’d buy a shipping container from China full of stand up paddleboards, I’m in an area where lots of people are into that (and there are the lakes to support it), and they are absurdly expensive from traditional retailers.  I’d bet I could double or even triple my $25k after expenses in one summer selling those if I could get a deal on a container full of them.  Of course this all assumes having the interest in sales, the time to sell them all, having a local market that support that volume, and a place to store a container full of them. 

Michael in ABQ

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 09:30:54 AM »
Options trading.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 11:25:09 AM »
Here's a random idea that I have floating around my head:  Buy a travel trailer with a popular layout (maybe 2 different layouts?), rent them out on RVShare, sell them in 2-3 years before big maintenance hits.  This is actually something I am considering doing soon with a similar sized investment.  Look up travel trailer rental business plans online, there's a few good pointers on what to do/ expect.

Otherwise... TSLA?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 02:02:24 PM »
In most states, you can sell up to X cars before you have to get a dealer license.

You must have the time to attend auctions and the know-how to avoid purchasing mistakes.

Fishindude

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 02:32:20 PM »
$25k Would easily buy you a used pickup truck, trailer, a good zero turn mower, power weed trimmer, blower and all of the necessary tools for yard work.
Could easily make $500 per week mowing lawns only working a couple days per week.   

A good friend of mine is retired and does this exact thing.  Says it keeps him busy, he likes outdoor work, and pays for all of his hunting, fishing, eating out, and drinking hobbies / habits.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 05:13:19 PM »
I personally would be interested in house flipping, but it's a lot of sweat equity. You earn every dollar, and there is downside risk.

So far I'm too lazy for that so I've stuck to my index funds.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2020, 07:05:27 PM »

This is me.. While I don’t consider myself lazy (work 60 hrs/wk, run 30 miles/wk), the opportunity cost of trying to flip my money into a side hustle is not very worthwhile.. If I were to reduce my hrs to 50/wk to accommodate the side hustle, I’d be giving up around $60k/yr in lost overtime..

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2020, 10:30:40 PM »

This is me.. While I don’t consider myself lazy (work 60 hrs/wk, run 30 miles/wk), the opportunity cost of trying to flip my money into a side hustle is not very worthwhile.. If I were to reduce my hrs to 50/wk to accommodate the side hustle, I’d be giving up around $60k/yr in lost overtime..

This. It's much more efficient to simply open my schedule and do more of what I already do. Adam Smith knew it way back when but this may be one of the biggest secrets I had to actually figure out, even years and years after reading the old genius.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 06:37:36 AM »
I could be wrong on two counts, but here they both go:  one, that Covid-19 gets worse over the next month or two, and second, that deep discounts on stocks will be good purchases when viewed in the medium term.  An example from the stocks I've revealed publicly: Dine Brands (DIN) is a restaurant chain, and today California is closing all restaurants indefinitely.  Closing them for an unknown length of time means they lose an unknown amount of revenue.  So I expect a buying opportunity, but I'm not sure when it will occur precisely.

A stock that drops from $100/ to $30 has lost -70% of it's value.  But it now operates from that new reference point, of $30.  If it recovers, it doesn't gain +70%.... it multiplies by 3.3x ($30 x $3.3 = $100).  Being out of a stock that falls, and then buying it, does have a risk of bankruptcy - it keeps falling, and you lose the entire investment.  So I've spread my money over dozens of stocks, not just a few.

DadJokes

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 11:28:44 AM »
I've been thinking of setting up a little trading challenge for myself. I'd like to see if I can turn $1k into $20k for shits and giggles. However, I also know next to nothing about trading and am not big on keeping up with the news.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2020, 10:01:29 AM »
Any feedback or thoughts @NOVAMustache ?  Bugs me when people post a question, people respond and then crickets...

Monerexia

• Bristles
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 11:19:49 PM »
Hello friends!

I have 25k that I would like to play with as a side investment to my more traditional index funds, etc.

Interested in some creative ideas that are along the lines of short term investments, potentially higher risk but higher return as well. Can include any ideas that also include sweat equity, real estate loans for projects, etc.

Appreciate all of your creativity and ideas!

If it were me, I would give this money to real business people and let them make profit for you. Translation: VTSAX or ITOT. YMMV.

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2020, 10:24:26 AM »
Was it Morgan or Rockefeller that said, "I knew it was time to sell when the shoeshine boy started giving me stock tips"?

mjchamb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Call to FIRE Investing

bthewalls

• Bristles
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2020, 04:58:10 PM »
Keep it simple and hold for pending market crash?

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2020, 08:26:35 PM »
Was it Morgan or Rockefeller that said, "I knew it was time to sell when the shoeshine boy started giving me stock tips"?

But in the age of the internet, stock tips have been available for years from people who are not qualified to shine shoes, so does the saying still have merit?

bacchi

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2020, 09:06:11 AM »

But in the age of the internet, stock tips have been available for years from people who are not qualified to shine shoes, so does the saying still have merit?

Yes but now it's, "Everyone is getting rich from Tesla. I'm taking $25k/$50k/$100k and I'm going to use it for stock speculation. YOLO!"

Maverick1

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2020, 10:26:14 AM »
Keep it simple and hold for pending market crash?

That’s what I would do. I’m uncomfortable with many current share prices given what’s going on in the world.

Kevin Aster Tin Obin

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2020, 12:05:46 PM »
you are entitled to up to 10 Freddie Mac subsidized real estate loans.  Down payment is only 5% so you could buy rental property(s) with a sticker price of up to half a million.

Hi FV,
Can you clarify what this refers to?  New program since COVID 19 or special lending property for rentals?  Not sure what "subsidized" you are referring to?

thanks,

Financial.Velociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Devour your prey raptors!
    • Living Universe Foundation
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »
you are entitled to up to 10 Freddie Mac subsidized real estate loans.  Down payment is only 5% so you could buy rental property(s) with a sticker price of up to half a million.

Hi FV,
Can you clarify what this refers to?  New program since COVID 19 or special lending property for rentals?  Not sure what "subsidized" you are referring to?

thanks,

Freddie Mac is like Fannie Mae but for investors.  Every American is allowed up to 10 single family (I understand there are special situations where you can buy multi-family rentals with Freddie) real estate investment loans with only 5% down versus the traditional 20%.  The mortgage is guaranteed against default but Freddie Mac and this is ultimately a subsidy as you get something approaching the risk free rate for a 30 year fixed.  You will pay a small monthly insurance premium for the privilege.  This program has been around for decades and is unlikely to go away any time soon. 

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2020, 06:48:00 AM »

Hi FV,

thanks,

Freddie Mac is like Fannie Mae but for investors.  Every American is allowed up to 10 single family (I understand there are special situations where you can buy multi-family rentals with Freddie) real estate investment loans with only 5% down versus the traditional 20%.  The mortgage is guaranteed against default but Freddie Mac and this is ultimately a subsidy as you get something approaching the risk free rate for a 30 year fixed.  You will pay a small monthly insurance premium for the privilege.  This program has been around for decades and is unlikely to go away any time soon.

That's interesting info.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Dancin'Dog

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2020, 08:34:17 AM »
If you're thinking of buying stocks, I recently found a site with free listings of real-time insider trades.  I haven't used it for purchasing any stocks yet, but I have been following a few to see how well they do. 

Here's the link:  [size=78%]https://www.insider-monitor.com/[/size]