Author Topic: 2021 Investment Options - 200k  (Read 2253 times)

cavinvestor

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
2021 Investment Options - 200k
« on: January 08, 2021, 02:19:14 PM »
Heyaa!

I have roughly 200k sitting in the bank.  I recently spoke to a Personal capital advisor who charges 0.89% for managing the account but I'm not convinced on what they said.  Their balanced strategy (Tech heavy vs balanced across sectors) seems pretty standard and nothing revolutionary for the fees that they are charging.  Same with Merrill and Chase

Me and my wife max out of 401k and Roth IRA and we both are on W2.  We already own a house and the interest rates are so low it isn't worth paying off the mortgage.  Any pointer on where and how to invest would be greatly appreciated.

I have done individual stocks (short term) and burnt my hand and I get it totally wrong with my short - mid term stock / company analysis.  I have done some forex too and overall I'm at breakeven and this is not worth the adrenaline rush and looking at phone all the time to see if I got the trend right isn't worth it. 

So given all these datapoints, what are your recommendation for both Midterm and long term (retirement plans).  I don't know if it is worth paying 1% fees to manage these account when we can invest the same in MF.  Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks
C
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 02:25:06 PM by cavinvestor »

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache

Pomegranate12

• Stubble
Re: 2021 Investment Options - 200k
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 03:04:24 PM »
1. Buy me a AMG E 63 S Wagon
2. Put the rest into 50 percent VTI, 20 Percent VXUS, 20 percent VYM, 10 percent BND

Dgmp

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 10:05:18 AM »
I am investing a similar amount as i diversify from some company stock Rsu’s

The right answer should be in context of your overall investment plan and diversification goals across asset classes.

Maybe you should find a fee based financial advisor to help you instead of someone who takes a percent of assets.

For me, it’s going 95+% into vanguard total stock market index and a small percent into bitcoin to add some ups and downs to track for the year and pandemic excitement one way or another.  Any bonds i have are in my retirement accounts.

I too gave up stock picking.

theolympians

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 10:11:14 AM »
I gave up paying someone 1% to hit the "buy" button. Dow and/or S&P, and or Nasdaq index fund. Or large cap, mid-cap, small cap index fund. I use vanguard.

terry1979

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2021, 12:10:55 AM »
To invest such a large sum, I would look to protect my capital first, and then think about making gains. The best way in my opinion is to buy established companies whose brands are very popular and dividend growth corporations. Think Starbucks, Costco, Visa/Mastercard, Apple, Home Depot, McDonalds, Walmart, etc.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 11:02:40 AM »
Put it all in Tesla options.

helloyou

• Bristles
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 04:03:04 PM »

Call or put option?

cool7hand

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 06:09:22 AM »
You might consider Googling how much additional time it takes to retire if you pay the approximately 1% of assets under management fee that most financial advisors charge. It can double the time.

Most folks here use some type of low cost index fund/etf approach. The wife and I use Ray Dalio's All Season's (aka All Weather) Portfolio. It's lower volatility than the typical 100% stock or 60/40% stock/bond mix many use, but that sometimes results in lower growth. That fits our situation and needs.

Ask more questions if you want more tailored help to your situation!

ChpBstrd

• Walrus Stache
  • Location: A poor and backward Southern state known as minimum wage country
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 01:30:14 PM »

Buy long duration put options on GME. The reddit wall street bets crowd are ganging up on the shorts and creating a short squeeze, and the shorts keep piling in as the squeeze gets tighter. There are now somehow more shares short than there are shares issued, and gamblers are buying up all the shares they can. When that situation resolves, GME is going from $40 to $5, perhaps in a matter of days. Puts at the $7 strike with one year duration are going for $1/share, a price which will double if GME returns to the $5 range in 12 mos. A less risky play would be the 40/50 bull call spread, which will yield 25% in any sane future universe where a money-losing mall-based retailer of obsolete physical game discs that is literally reminiscent of Blockbuster Video does not command a multi-billion dollar market cap.

https://shortsqueeze.com/?symbol=gme&submit=Short+Quote

This seem reasonable to me if just buying VTI like everyone advises is too boring and one needs a rush.

chicklets123

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2021, 09:18:58 AM »
Would ETF VTI or VOO be he best option?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk