Author Topic: 2017 personal best mutual fund/stock performance you're invested in....  (Read 2092 times)

Duke03

• Bristles
I thought this would be a good idea for people to post their personal best stock performers that they've owned the entire year.  It might let other folks know about some really good performers that they have over looked in the past.  Granted I know one year doesn't give the entire picture of the market or a single stock, but I figured it would be fun to see everyone's home runs!

My best are as follows

29.9% Vanguard Morgan Growth Fund
29.6% Union Pacific Common Stock Fund 

The transports have been on fire lately and I wouldn't be surprised if that one cracks 30% by the end of the month.

Cwadda

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 2017 personal best mutual fund/stock performance you're invested in....
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 06:28:56 PM »
VTSAX

Because that's the one and only fund I will be invested in for probably the next 20 years at least

wienerdog

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 08:37:52 PM »
30% of my portfolio

VSS    28.39%
VTRIX 27.52%
VXUS  27.32%
VWO   25.76%

chasesfish

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 05:04:24 AM »
I'm happy to post this, but with the caveait that I'm almost completely in Index Funds.  The one place I occasionally see an opportunity is if an activist investor gets on to a mid or small cap company and vets out some significant under performance.

Sardar Bilargi started a proxy fight with Cracker Barrel in 2011 or 2012.  I started buying CBRL stock in 2012 in the upper $50s/share and bought it as it ran up to over $100.  Its now sitting at $162/share and pays almost $8/share annually including a special dividend paid in the last three years.  The dividend is about a 15% annual return on my basis and the shares have appreciated almost 300% in 5.5 years.

This rose to be a pretty concentrated position, so I've slowly sold some off and funded my DAF with some shares, but thats my best winner.

Unfortunately I had a lot of individual stocks that trailed the market recently and my long-term returns reverted to the median.   I do think activist investing is the one place where investors will be able to beat the market if they follow the right activists.  The problem for me is that sounds too much like work right now.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 03:24:27 PM »

The 2017 data is from 5 Dec, but at the time VEE was my best performing fund with VIU a close second.

Mr Griz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 05:58:13 PM »
I’m an index investor but Megacorp gives me a lot of company stock in 401k matches, deferred comp, etc. The good news is it’s up 25% for the year.

Frankies Girl

• Magnum Stache
  • Ghouls Just Wanna Have Funds!
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 06:09:20 PM »
Fidelity Growth Company Fund (FDGRX). I have a tiny little portion left from the before times - a fraction of a percentage of my portfolio. I won't add a penny more to it ever, but I like seeing it roller coaster, so I'll likely hang on to it.

It's up +37.33% for a 1 year total, or +35.73% YTD.