Author Topic: 100% stocks still?  (Read 23790 times)

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
Re: 100% stocks still?
« Reply #150 on: July 20, 2020, 08:43:57 PM »
My 92 year old grandpa “I haven’t bought a bond in my life.” Lol

If he's been investing for most of his adult life that must have been a wild profitable ride...

Me: grandpa have you ever been on margin?
Grandpa: I've been on margin for 50 years

He doesn't tell me about all his losses (which I am sure are numerous), but I know he made $1 million on Amazon alone and his account is upwards of 8 figures. Stocks and mowing the lawn is about the last thing he has to keep his mind sharp and body moving, so the family just lets him do his thing.

Wow. I expect I could enjoy a good conversation with anyone who has 8 figures invested and still mows their own lawn.

I can point you to many family members who would be more than happy to let you be the one to have to listen to him all day. I know my uncles and dad are thrilled when he finds somebody else to talk to.

He’s very middle class, grew up very poor in the depression so lives frugally, saved a ton and has invested aggressively even into old age. I suppose many on this site could end up in the same financial position as long as they invest aggressively into their 90s.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #151 on: July 20, 2020, 08:46:57 PM »

If he's been investing for most of his adult life that must have been a wild profitable ride...

He doesn't tell me about all his losses (which I am sure are numerous), but I know he made $1 million on Amazon alone and his account is upwards of 8 figures. Stocks and mowing the lawn is about the last thing he has to keep his mind sharp and body moving, so the family just lets him do his thing.

Wow. I expect I could enjoy a good conversation with anyone who has 8 figures invested and still mows their own lawn.

Make sure to stay on his good side and in the will.

With the ages my family members live to, I could be well into my 70s before seeing much of that money. It would be passed to my parents and uncles first. I don’t really think of it as my money because it’s so far off from ever happening. I hope to be retired on my own well before seeing a nickel of it.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
  • Engineer, explorer, investor
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #152 on: July 21, 2020, 12:49:38 AM »

I can point you to many family members who would be more than happy to let you be the one to have to listen to him all day. I know my uncles and dad are thrilled when he finds somebody else to talk to.

He’s very middle class, grew up very poor in the depression so lives frugally, saved a ton and has invested aggressively even into old age. I suppose many on this site could end up in the same financial position as long as they invest aggressively into their 90s.

Well if he wants to visit Alaska post covid let me know.

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #153 on: July 21, 2020, 01:28:24 AM »
Yes still. And always

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #154 on: July 21, 2020, 02:37:12 PM »

Well if he wants to visit Alaska post covid let me know.

Ha, he would go there every summer on a cruise with my great uncle until my great uncle died a few years ago. He loved Alaska.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #155 on: July 21, 2020, 03:08:49 PM »
Ha, he would go there every summer on a cruise with my great uncle until my great uncle died a few years ago. He loved Alaska.

Nice. I've never done a cruise but they were really popular. I saw estimates that the cancelled cruises alone account for 1.4 million less visitors this year. Thats 2X the population of the state. It's been interesting to see what the state looks like without many tourist this summer. Turns out some of the things people blamed on tourists are actually on us...

waltworks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #156 on: July 21, 2020, 09:50:44 PM »
I know several people who have 8 figures and still mow the lawn, and aren't even elderly. But I agree that it's a little weird to see. I hope I don't end up like that, though if investing and puttering around is what makes you happy... who am I to argue?

-W

chicklets123

• Stubble
« Reply #157 on: January 22, 2021, 08:54:24 AM »
Which stocks are you mainly invested in now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HBFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #158 on: January 22, 2021, 10:51:31 AM »
My allocation changes a bit as I work for myself and it adjusts depending on how much cash I need in my business at any given time.

Current allocation is approximately as follows:

- Vanguard Retirement funds (60% of portfolio): 100% stocks
- Self Defined Benefit Plan (20% of portfolio) (Will be rolled into Vanguard at some point): This is currently managed to aim for 5-7% return per laws, the exact allocation is a bit murky, but a high % of bonds.  I was fortunate with timing that we put in our 2019 distribution ~150 K last March when the market was beaten up, so it has grown quickly.  Looking forward to rolling this over into something I can manage, but for now its a great tax advantage.
- Vanguard Brokerage (10%)   100% stocks
- Cash (10%).  High amount for business and due to being self employed.  Business has been volatile the last year, so I will keep a healthy amount on hand (~2 yrs living expenses) until it stabilizes. 

We did sell off some of our brokerage stocks last year to purchase a home here locally with interest rates so low (approx 200 K down payment).  It was a major decision, but happy we did it.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2021, 11:08:35 AM by HBFIRE »

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #159 on: January 22, 2021, 11:28:53 AM »
Nope,  Only 95% stocks.  The rest is split between cash and gold.   The cash is 6months normal (non-covid) spend, maybe a year (covid lockdown) spend.

Alternatepriorities

• Handlebar Stache
    • Alternate Priorities
« Reply #160 on: January 22, 2021, 11:48:06 AM »
Our SORR is mitigated by DW's plan to continuing to work as long as she enjoys it. So, yeah we're still basically still 100% equities.

Boring investments 70/30 us and international index funds. US funds have a slight tilt towards small cap.

Small speculative portion is in Appl (now a larger portion due to good timing/luck) VDE, F, CLNE, Brk.b. VDE is still underwater from what I thought was a bargain price before 2020... The others are up, but if it wasn't for Appl, I'd really be wishing I'd just put it in VTI.

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #161 on: January 23, 2021, 10:07:55 AM »
I have a small Donor Advised Fund. It is 100% in stocks. It's been a thrill to give money away and see the hole keep getting filled. Mustachian fun indeed!

ardrum

• Stubble
« Reply #162 on: January 25, 2021, 11:41:40 AM »
70/30 currently and want to eventually settle at 60/40.

Eventually, it's less important to chase the maximum average annual return and instead accept a decent return but with far more attention at preventing horrible sequence of return risk.  Mildly sacrificing long term return in order to reduce odds of a poorly timed retirement is worth it to me.

minority_finance_mo

• Pencil Stache
    • Minority Finance
« Reply #163 on: February 01, 2021, 11:56:14 PM »
I'm close to 100% stocks (~3% bonds), 90% US and 10% International.

Bonds haven't even been a consideration because of the historically low rates, as well as the prospects of interest rates over the near term. I have been making an effort to decrease my US exposure from where it was last year (~95%) to around 75-80% by year's end, however. I'm 28.

Digger1000

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #164 on: February 05, 2021, 04:10:40 AM »
I'm 99% stock index funds. Retired 4 years ago at age 51.

Much Fishing to Do

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #165 on: February 05, 2021, 04:57:07 AM »
I have a small Donor Advised Fund. It is 100% in stocks. It's been a thrill to give money away and see the hole keep getting filled. Mustachian fun indeed!

+1.  My DAF is 100% VT and I plan to give away 6% of its end of year balance each year.  It'll be interesting to see if the balance/Gift amount goes up or down (real) over time.  If one were to live forever and stay healthy enough to always be able to go back to work if and when needed, this would probably be my retirement strategy.

FLBiker

• Handlebar Stache
    • Chop Wood Carry FIRE
« Reply #166 on: February 05, 2021, 05:33:00 AM »
I'd be 100% stocks, but my wife is more conservative, so we are basically 90/10 (it's actually 88/9/3, with the 3 being REIT).  We're basically at FI, and I don't anticipate changing it.  The only change I want to make is to get out of REITs.  I've been doing it slowly.

ColoAndy

• Stubble
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2021, 08:10:07 AM »
Lots of wise comments from folks back in March.  I did not change anything but actually wish I went more toward equities.  I am 100% Vanguard Target 2035 in 401(k) and a few mutual funds in the 457, including Fidelity Total Market, US Bond Index, International, and a pinch of T. Rowe Price Growth Stock. Wish I had been dumping more in that T. Rowe fund.  It has been on a tear for the past decade plus.....

Dicey

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2021, 09:06:41 AM »

+1.  My DAF is 100% VT and I plan to give away 6% of its end of year balance each year.  It'll be interesting to see if the balance/Gift amount goes up or down (real) over time.  If one were to live forever and stay healthy enough to always be able to go back to work if and when needed, this would probably be my retirement strategy.
Hmmm, I was just thinking this morning about what funds I should raid to reload my DAF, because I want to give more. I've already given away more than half the original deposit, but it just keeps growing! I know these kinds of returns won't last forever, so I'm thinking about how to best utilize the power of the DAF for future giving.

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2021, 12:21:57 PM »
still 100% stocks, at 34, and loving it XD

pdxvandal

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #170 on: February 05, 2021, 03:11:06 PM »
I've been slowly exchanging some of my IRA bond funds to buy more VTSAX, even moving about $23k last month buying on a few 1.5%+ dips. My allocation's gone from 80-20 in 2019 to about 95-5. I have $50k sitting in a probate account earning $hit, so I consider that part of my "bond" allocation, hence my confidence in being more aggressive.

tsukuba

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2021, 02:59:13 AM »
I'm theoretically about 1 y out from FIRE based on work contracting schedules. We'll see if I do or not. Might go 3 days/wk if the work in upcoming contracts is interesting.

54 % Domestic US stock (distributed among total market, small cap, mid cap, S&P 500, QQQ, ONEQ)
17 % Foreign stock (lots of legacy holding in oakmark value-oriented global and international funds)
   So that is 71% stock total

19 % bond (wide distribution of sectors, nations - like PRSNX, and maturity; but trending toward short, like THOPX)
8 % short term
2% gold

I've been thinking two things:
1) Bucket method: have 2-3 years in cash or near cash options.

1) I also am gradually positioning myself for more inflation ($ devaluation) which includes more movement to things like
-Foreign stock funds or ETFs: EMQQ, FSEAX, XBUY, MAPIX, MEGMX, INDY
-Short term muni bond funds, FLTDX, FSTFX (falls within 2-3 years in cash or near cash options );
-Short term international treasuries:  BWZ (falls within 2-3 years in cash or near cash options )
-Gold (Potentially falls within 2-3 years in cash or near cash options under stagflation scenario)
-International/global REITS: FIREX, SFREX
-Domestic utilities ETF: VPU, reportedly people who survived 70's stagflation well were happy to have the dividends.
-Thinking about bitcoin

While doing so, I am still sticking with and not pulling from domestic tech stock ETFs and funds-

Not saying I am right about anything.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2021, 11:35:32 PM by tsukuba »

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2022, 10:04:36 AM »
This seems fun to resurrect and revisit.  Who is still 100% stocks and planning to stay the course through these uncertain times we are seeing today ?

Dogastrophe

• Bristles
« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2022, 11:10:28 AM »
Late 40s, not planning to retire for another 7 or 8 years.  100% VFV, which is the Canadian wrapper for VOO (S&P500 etf).

No longer late 40s ... still 100% equities :).

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2022, 11:50:55 AM »
This seems fun to resurrect and revisit.  Who is still 100% stocks and planning to stay the course through these uncertain times we are seeing today ?

First we need to know when the "certain times" were to compare.

Silrossi46

• Stubble
« Reply #175 on: May 07, 2022, 11:56:32 AM »
Valid point

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #176 on: May 07, 2022, 04:39:14 PM »
I said we were 8% bonds, and that won't change.

Unless we sell our rental property (plan is to list in mid-June when the current tenants' lease is almost up) and then we will likely put a fair amount of that in Bonds because it will likely be used in a few years to buy a primary residence.

So no, the current market hasn't changed our allocation  Our life circumstances might, but that has nothing to do with "these uncertain times".

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #177 on: May 08, 2022, 06:02:26 AM »
I'm still essentially 100% stocks. Anything I have in a brokerage or retirement account is a stock fund. I haven't made a penny on my funds this year other than dividends. I knew that was a possibility with this allocation.

I still have many years of saving left before I can retire anyways. The markets being down lets me make up for the times when I couldn't afford to invest more when I was younger.

badger1988

• Stubble
« Reply #178 on: May 08, 2022, 08:07:51 AM »
I'm 31. Made my first $5,000 Roth IRA contribution as a college student in August 2008...just in time to see its value drop by 50% within 3 months. I've been 100% stocks in my investment accounts since my starting point, and have no plans to change asset allocation anytime soon.

Still 100% stocks in investment accounts, and plan to continue. I've made $70,614 in contributions to these accounts since my previous post:
  • 3/9/2020: $612,088 (low of $490,934 on 3/23/2020)
  • 5/8/2022: $986,296 (high of $1,111,773 on 3/29/2022)

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #179 on: May 08, 2022, 04:57:18 PM »

I'll start buying bonds/CDs when I start seeing yields in the 5-6% or 10-year TIPs have 2%+ real yields.  My first TIPs bonds had almost 4% real yields.

secondcor521

• Walrus Stache
  • Big cattle, no hat.
    • Age of Eon - Overwatch player videos
« Reply #180 on: May 08, 2022, 05:03:46 PM »

98/2.  Close enough.  Plan to stay the course.  Net WR 0.93% helps a lot, as does having seen uncertain times before.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #181 on: May 08, 2022, 05:08:07 PM »

I'll start buying bonds/CDs when I start seeing yields in the 5-6% or 10-year TIPs have 2%+ real yields.  My first TIPs bonds had almost 4% real yields.

5% CD's? They're barely touching 2%. I don't think CD's will go above 4% in the next 2 decades. I'll gladly let the banks prove me wrong, but I don't think CD's will ever be a sensible money vehicle in my lifetime.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #182 on: May 08, 2022, 05:18:29 PM »

5% CD's? They're barely touching 2%. I don't think CD's will go above 4% in the next 2 decades. I'll gladly let the banks prove me wrong, but I don't think CD's will ever be a sensible money vehicle in my lifetime.

When inflation is 20%+ and you're hiding from the hoards of cannibals, you'll see the light ;)

clifp

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #183 on: May 08, 2022, 05:35:46 PM »

Back in 2011, PenFed had 5%, 10 year CD, which I took advantage of. Sadly they all matured last year.

I'm looking for Fed funds to hit 4-5% and CDs to follow in the next two years. I hope I'm wrong, but until then I'm sticking with 90% stocks 10% gold and gold mining stocks, and equal size portfolio in real estate, hard money lending, and other alternative investments.

VanillaGorilla

• Stubble
« Reply #184 on: May 08, 2022, 07:54:50 PM »
I'm 53% S&P500 and VTI, 47% home equity. No emergency fund even.

House is 97% paid off. Now that the market is going down I'm putting all available cash into more equities.

I'll be tempted to do a glidepath or equities/bonds/gold portfolio when I start withdrawals but my spouse makes money and I'm accumulating and my overhead is stupid low. I consider myself lean FI in that I could easily live off 3% of my 2021 portfolio, or 3.6% of current value if needed.

Ergo, my tolerance for high risk, high reward. 100% equities. :)

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #185 on: May 08, 2022, 10:36:59 PM »
Many on this forum are Millennials or younger who have seen an unprecedented bull market the past decade and often proclaimed being 100% in stocks ... with zero bonds or conservative investments. I wonder if this market rout will change that behavior going forward?

Bonds are getting more expensive by the day while stocks are getting cheaper. In my mind that means buy more stocks.

I'm not willing to buy even $1 of US treasury bonds at today's rates.

I'm still 100% stocks, but I'm about to sell my primary residence and I might take some of the money from the sale and put it into some sort of REIT. This has less to do with the sale of real estate and more to do with the fact that I might stop working in ~8 years and the diversification and cash flow would be nice. I also reserve the right to shift some assets into gold during retirement even though I feel no need to hold gold while accumulating.

harvestbook

• Stubble
« Reply #186 on: May 09, 2022, 06:31:57 AM »
Retired with some residual royalty income still coming in. The only change I've made is buying iBonds the last couple of years with the goal of building a five-year bridge to get me from 2027-2032 when I take SS at 70.

That puts me about 95/5ish or so. Not drawing anything due to working spouse. No debt. All good, still buying stocks when cash comes available.

theoverlook

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #187 on: May 09, 2022, 09:03:21 AM »
This was a fun one to re-visit.

If you are still 100% stocks in tax sheltered accounts you have made a very bad call.

Not if that's what your plan has been all along. Changing things around based on emotion is exactly what gets you in trouble in the stock market.

It's not emotion, it's calculated analysis. The potential upside of the market 2 weeks ago was tiny, the potential downside huge.

And this "calculated analysis" failed so badly. Going to cash in March 2020 would have cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's amazing how confident people can be while being so wrong.

FIPurpose

• Handlebar Stache
    • FI With Purpose
« Reply #188 on: May 09, 2022, 10:05:10 AM »
I knew a guy back in 2018 who thought stocks were about to crash and told me that we was instead going to buy a bunch of raw land for lumber investment.

Obviously he was wrong, but if he followed through and held on, he's probably sitting on a fantastic investment.

Heliios

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #189 on: May 09, 2022, 12:26:01 PM »
Still 100% socks... laundry top is in

maisymouser

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #190 on: May 09, 2022, 01:51:08 PM »
100% stocks still?

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #191 on: May 09, 2022, 02:05:32 PM »
I knew a guy back in 2018 who thought stocks were about to crash and told me that we was instead going to buy a bunch of raw land for lumber investment.

Obviously he was wrong, but if he followed through and held on, he's probably sitting on a fantastic investment.

Twas my understanding that timber prices never really followed the price spikes that lumber had, because it was a backlog (pun intended) at the mills, and not a lack of trees.

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #192 on: May 09, 2022, 02:12:40 PM »

Twas my understanding that timber prices never really followed the price spikes that lumber had, because it was a backlog (pun intended) at the mills, and not a lack of trees.

But it is still an investment in a productive asset. Selling and going to cash is different than selling and moving to a different investment.

EvenSteven

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #193 on: May 09, 2022, 02:37:17 PM »

But it is still an investment in a productive asset. Selling and going to cash is different than selling and moving to a different investment.

Sure, but the context here is comparing the returns since 2018 between something like VTI and timber. Was timber land purchased in 2018 really a fantastic investment compared to VTI? I guess I don't know what the returns on timberland have been in that time, so it's possible.

harvestbook

• Stubble
« Reply #194 on: May 10, 2022, 06:52:28 AM »
Around here you only log the timber every 20 to 30 years, so it's not always an immediate payoff. Trees don't grow on trees.

tedman

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #195 on: May 10, 2022, 08:48:37 AM »
Around here you only log the timber every 20 to 30 years, so it's not always an immediate payoff. Trees don't grow on trees.

Yes, they usually make you open up your own branch for that.

Villanelle

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #196 on: May 10, 2022, 08:58:12 AM »

Jokes?  Really?  In this thread?  You're barking up the wrong tree. 

Can't you just Leave it alone?

GuitarStv

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #197 on: May 10, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »

Jokes?  Really?  In this thread?  You're barking up the wrong tree. 

Can't you just Leave it alone?

This is why I logged in today - a nice way of breaking up the normal root-ine.

brandon1827

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #198 on: May 10, 2022, 02:03:25 PM »
Wood you guys stop already?

Fru-Gal

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #199 on: May 10, 2022, 02:06:14 PM »
I can't take mulch more!