Author Topic: Short-Term Capital Preservation Roth IRA - Bond vs. stock & ETF  (Read 1824 times)

rj_musser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Short-Term Capital Preservation Roth IRA - Bond vs. stock & ETF
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:49:02 PM »
Hey guys... eciding where to play $$$$ - want good returns, but also want to minimize downside risk as I am bearish in the short-term. I know bonds and treasuries are a good way to reduce risk, but with such low interest rates and the inevitable rise, are short-term bonds even a good idea (cash may be better)?

Furthermore, I am looking into U.S. Treasury ETFs - particularly GOVT, SCHR, and TIPS. These are obviously less volatile than stocks, but they also look like they can go (-) in a bear market. What can I buy that will have low return but will guarantee no loss of principal?

I am planning to invest about 40% in these bonds/u.s. treasuries.... and 60% in indexes/stocks.

rj_musser

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Short-Term Capital Preservation Roth IRA - Bond vs. stock & ETF
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 10:08:20 PM »
I was hoping to be able to purchase U.S. Treasury etfs instead of directly so that I could be more liquid. Also never bought treasuries before and am unsure how the process works. Can I own one from treasury direct in my fidelity roth ira?