Author Topic: "Perma-lance" - IRA Best Option?  (Read 1402 times)

Wennnz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"Perma-lance" - IRA Best Option?
« on: February 25, 2015, 02:28:04 PM »
Hey all, my employment situation is a little different than the norm, and I'm just starting to get serious about investing for my retirement.

I'm a freelance in the TV world, and despite being freelance, I'm still technically a full-time employee, since I still receive W-2s for each show or season of a show that I work on, rather than 1099s.

Since I'm at each company for such a short amount of time, there's pretty much no chance of my employers offering a 401k. The IRA routes are obvious, I'm just curious if there's any sort of 401k equivalent for freelance-types?

I apologize if this sounds like a silly question, or if it's a question that has been asked before.

Thank you!

beltim

• Magnum Stache
Re: "Perma-lance" - IRA Best Option?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 02:37:47 PM »
It's definitely not a silly question.  I'm pretty sure the standard IRAs are all you'll have access to, as most of the others (SEP IRA, Simple IRA, solo 401k) rely on you being self-employed.  It looks like you'll be doing a lot of investing in taxable accounts!

Wennnz

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: "Perma-lance" - IRA Best Option?
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 02:42:30 PM »
Thank you! Unfortunately, it's not the answer I was hoping for, yet it was the answer I was expecting. Hooray, taxable accounts!