Author Topic: "Lego a 'better investment than shares and gold'"  (Read 5976 times)

iamlindoro

• Handlebar Stache
    • The Earth Awaits
Re: "Lego a 'better investment than shares and gold'"
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 07:33:40 PM »
I think tulip bulbs are the next great investment.

Ohio Teacher

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 08:13:18 PM »
I guess a title like this gets more clicks on the Facebook news feed than, "Alternative investments may provide higher returns over small, cherry-picked periods, but consistent investment in index funds over a long period of time always wins."  Yea, I wouldn't make a good marketing guy.

Also, can we talk about how often this word investment is used these days.  It seems like anything that is purchased is an "investment."  Every time I hear people use it, I want to say:

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2015, 05:57:02 AM »
I invested in a great deal of cookies last night.

hodedofome

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2015, 06:56:34 AM »
Too bad you can't buy Lego stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scandium

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2015, 07:56:59 AM »
Article never said whether any/every limited run set increased in value. Can you just buy any one, store and resell at a profit? Or are there just a few ones that do this, which are hard to determine ahead of  time?

Sent using Tapatalk

Playing with Fire UK

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 02:02:11 AM »
Lego definitely a better investment than gold because fun playing with Lego >>> fun looking at gold.

Better than stocks? Well no because Lego is clearly not an investment.

I've had some luck buying the 'must have for Christmas' Lego in September on an offer and then selling in the middle of December. It could have gone wrong (in that I would have had to play with or gift a Lego set that wasn't in my budget), but this is not investing. My definition of 'must have' is the biggest set linked to a film coming out in December/November that I would like to play with.

[This is not investment advice, seek the help of a mental health professional before blindly following any of the strategies outlined in this post]

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 07:17:22 AM »
Lego definitely a better investment than gold because fun playing with Lego >>> fun looking at gold.

You can have a lot of fun doing stuff with gold like making jewelry.

If you want to "invest" in Lego you are going to just looking at the unopened packages anyways. I don't think your used Lego set will fetch the same price as a pristine unopened box.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 07:28:44 AM »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/investing/11817380/Lego-a-better-investment-than-shares-and-gold.html?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Echobox

Thoughts??
If you can do it profitably, in a more or less stable and predictable fashion, it's a good investment. If it has a good historic track record of beating "shares and gold" not just occasionally, but often enough to give a higher risk-adjusted return, then the headline has merit. But these kinds of things are normally speculative plays with high risk and unpredictable appreciation. Moreover, it's very difficult to buy in sufficient volume to affect your financial trajectory, and even if you really love the wheeling and dealing, you still need to count the value of the time it takes to buy and sell.

Josiecat

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2015, 11:40:37 AM »
Sounds like the next Beanie Babies.

trailrated

• Handlebar Stache
  • a smooth sea never made a skilled sailor
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2015, 12:02:18 PM »
Lego bricks make for an excellent home defense mechanism if the intruders are barefoot.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2015, 12:48:31 PM »
Lego bricks make for an excellent home defense mechanism if the intruders are barefoot.

I laughed out loud... this just made my morning!

Gone Fishing

• Magnum Stache
  • So Close went fishing on April 1, 2016
    • Journal
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2015, 01:22:22 PM »
I predicted the collapse of the Lego bubble a while back judging from the massive collections being sold on craigslist.  Just for the record, I am also predicting the collapse/consolidation of microbreweries...   

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2015, 03:00:12 PM »

Make sure you buy some tar, to get them barefoot if they come with shoes.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

HPstache

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
When I see countries and banks rquesting / trading legos for debt payments, then ill consider using them as an investment.

Indexer

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2015, 08:16:04 PM »
I think tulip bulbs are the next great investment.

This. The analogy works. Spending tons of money on something you know to be worthless because you think someone else will pay even more for it.... that's a new level of stupid either way you cut it. In the end the dumbest person... the last one in line... losses everything.

Luckily we have welfare now. The last people to buy tulip bulbs in the 1600s just starved to death.

Retire-Canada

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2015, 09:16:20 AM »

If real estate has its own MMM sub-forum I think Lego deserves one as well. ;)

Jack

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2015, 09:43:38 AM »
Well, shit. Now I have to go catalog my old toys and see if I need an insurance rider. (I have a bunch of old late-'80s/early-'90s Space sets, which seem to be $50 each now -- or significantly more, in the case of some of the bigger ones.)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!