Author Topic: "How to make money in the stock market" - Why MMM is wrong.  (Read 9184 times)

LuigiNMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"How to make money in the stock market" - Why MMM is wrong.
« on: March 03, 2020, 11:22:57 AM »
First, I am a 26yr old Canadian mustachian investing for fat-FIRE by the time I'm 35.

Buying the S&P500 is a NOT a proper investment strategy This article is about proper Asset Allocation for a portfolio, as I found this article from MMM lacking in basic principles of proper asset allocation:

https://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2011/05/18/how-to-make-money-in-the-stock-market/

A bit of information on my background. I studied/work in finance and have read pretty much every possible books on investing for individual investors. I also have a Canadian investor perspective, but this article also discusses US investing.

I will assume that readers know/agree with the following, as historical data (not 10 years, 50++ years) has shown that:
1. Diversification across asset classes, geographical location and sectors reduce portfolio volatility and increases return if rebalancing is done on a regular basis (quarterly/yearly).
2. Trying to find the ideal asset allocation is useless as it is never constant. Historical ideal asset allocation is no guarantee it will be the ideal allocation in the future. Therefore equal weight between asset classes should be pretty close to the ideal asset allocation in the long term.
3. Stock picking and market timing should be avoided, as it does not generate any excess return.
4. Costs matter a lot.

For reference, my portfolio strategy is the following:
1. 25% CAN Equity: ZLB
2. 25% US Equity: VUN
3. 12.5% Developed Ex North America: VIU
4. 12.5% Emerging Mrkts: VEE
5. 25% CAN ST Bonds: VSB
I make equal quarterly investments in each ETF, bringing back my AA to its target % each time. I also own a real estate rental property.

As a Canadian investor, there is a significant overexposure to three sectors: financials, energy and basic materials (>70% of the index). Indexing is therefore NOT a good idea in Canada, especially if you are like me and would prefer to eliminate investments in Oil and commodity companies for environmental/sustainable investing reasons. ZLB takes care of this problem by limiting exposure to these companies (smart-beta strategy - oil & commodities are volatile).
By having international exposure to the ROW for 50% of my savings, I diversify the single country risk and overexposure to single sectors, and also diversify across different currencies. The bond portion serves as an emergency fund, potential downpayment, liquidity, etc and also to lower portfolio volatility (see the intelligent asset allocator: a 90/10 PF outperforms a 100% equity PF)

I feel MMM's article is dangerous for new investors, who will assume they are properly diversified by investing 100% of their savings in the US market or their home country index. In some countries this is plain suicidal (in Canada you would have 70% of your savings in a few companies, in very sensitive/cyclical sectors, and there are many countries where overexposure to a few sectors is a problem).

While in the US there is less stock sector risk, there is still single country risk. Why would a US investor not hold developing and emerging markets stocks, simply as an insurance policy against potential problems in their home country? Furthermore, diversification and rebalancing tends to INCREASE returns and lower volatility. There have been many decades where the US market significantly underperformed ROW markets (2000-2010). If you are an early retiree, at the start of a 10yr flat US market and start withdrawing money this would have a significant negative impact.. The same could be said of the Japanese index which never returned from its previous highs with a huge contraction cycle of almost 20 years (1990-2010). Imagine being invested in an asset underperforming for 20years (an investor who would have held only the Nikkei 225 during this period..) would have been devastating to someone who is living off his investments. There have been bubbles and cycles for as long as we can remember (see: memoirs of extraordinary delusions and the madness of crowds). Empires rose and fell for as long as we can remember. Investing in a single asset class of a single country does not make sense, and advising anyone to do so is just foolish.. A proper portfolio consists of bonds and stocks across different geographical locations. For a US investor that might be:
40% Total US Market index
20% Developped markets
20% Emerging markets
20% US Bonds

TLDR: Everyone is jumping on the S&P500 bandwagon and bloggers including MMM recommends it, ignoring proper portfolio asset allocation.

exmmmer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: "How to make money in the stock market" - Why MMM is wrong.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 11:38:01 AM »

LuigiNMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 11:58:26 AM »
I agree 100% with indexing, but I don't agree with having the S&P500 as your only asset (or its home equivalent depending on your country). As for Mr. Buffet, his instructions are 10% ST gov bonds/90% S&P500.. Not 100% S&P500.

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 11:59:44 AM »
So what you're really saying that a blog written primarily for a US audience may not be entirely applicable to a Canadian?

Also, like most (US based) bloggers, MMM is recommending a total US market index tracker (like VTI), and only an S&P 500 tracker if that's the closest thing to a total market fund you have in your workplace retirement plan.

LuigiNMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »
I am saying that even for US investors, they should have investments in Non-US Developed markets and emerging markets, as well as bonds, rather than 100% in S&P500 or total US market (not much difference between the two as there is a significant overlap) which he recommends in his article. This is to reduce home bias risk.

The Canadian angle is to point out that this goes double for anyone outside the US.

harvestbook

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 12:32:23 PM »
You may be right. So what?

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 12:50:36 PM »
I can't respond to all your critiques/suggestions but I always thought Jl Collins thinking on International exposure was interesting and well laid out:

"With VTSAX you own ~3600 companies, virtually every publicly traded company in the USA.  More to the point, the largest of these are all international businesses, many of which generate 50% or more of their sales and profits overseas.

The top ten holdings of VTSAX, for example, are all international in scope.  Apple, GE, IBM, Exxon/Mobil and the like.

As are the S&P 500 which make up ~75% of VTSAX. This article has a cool graphic of showing the international exposure the S&P 500 companies have. Who would have guessed almost twice as much in Africa as in South America?

Since these companies provide solid access to the growth of world markets, while filtering out most of the additional risk, I don’t feel the need to invest further in international specific funds."
https://jlcollinsnh.com/2012/09/26/stocks-part-xi-international-funds-2/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

habanero

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2020, 01:14:28 PM »
This article has a lot of interesting thoughts on AA and diversification.

https://docsend.com/view/taygkbn

Its from Artemis Capital - a US volatility hedge fund and it discusses how to preserve intra-generatoinal wealth. Its main point is that investors focus too much on returns and not enough on asset classes with negative correlation to each other and that bonds and real estate are not sufficient diversification to equities. It discusses hedging tail risk and why gold, volatility and commodities should be components in a well-diversified portfolio resilient to shocks that have hit the market in the past.

One can agree or not agree, but it is well researched and I found it quite interesting. The strategies they discuss are to some extent hard to replicate for individuals without serious sums to invest so in that regard of somewhat limited use, but it has a lot of good points and some very interesting graphs.

Accessing the document requires putting in an email address, but you don't have to click on a link in an email or something so anything will do. There are a few other articles on their website, all of them are worth a read in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 01:16:44 PM by habaneroNorway »

magnet18

• Bristles
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2020, 01:59:37 PM »
The referenced image from a couple posts ago

Agreed that single country investing puts you at risk of things like political events, especially if it's a country other than the US with a smaller market. (US makes up 50% of the total global market)

Also to your point of looking at 50++ years of data, being 100% in the S&P has been an extremely good investment.

I would readily say it's better to get beginning investors up to speed on the basics and 100% in the S&P than try to tell them to balance 8 funds every 12 weeks for jargon reasons and have their eyes gloss over and have them give up on the idea entirely

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2020, 02:17:38 PM »

Its from Artemis Capital - a US volatility hedge fund and it discusses how to preserve intra-generatoinal wealth. Its main point is that investors focus too much on returns and not enough on asset classes with negative correlation to each other and that bonds and real estate are not sufficient diversification to equities. It discusses hedging tail risk and why gold, volatility and commodities should be components in a well-diversified portfolio resilient to shocks that have hit the market in the past.

One can agree or not agree, but it is well researched and I found it quite interesting. The strategies they discuss are to some extent hard to replicate for individuals without serious sums to invest so in that regard of somewhat limited use, but it has a lot of good points and some very interesting graphs.

Accessing the document requires putting in an email address, but you don't have to click on a link in an email or something so anything will do. There are a few other articles on their website, all of them are worth a read in my opinion.

The reason it doesn't matter too much is there becomes a certain point where the effort to eke out an extra percentage of safety isn't worth it anymore.

If there are any finance or accounting people here who had to physically write out and calculate the portfolio diversification formula, you quickly learn that the point of diminishing returns comes really fast.

Eventually the only thing you're left with is market risk, and by madly diversifying into all sorts of asset classes, you have to make the assumption that there's almost no correlation between any of them. That seems pretty short sighted in my opinion.

This isn't to say it's not valuable. If you enjoy tinkering with your portfolio asset classes and putting in the work to maintaining your optimal allocation, you very potentially will find a higher return. But for most people, that extra effort isn't worth it. You get a "good enough" return by utilizing your desired combination of index funds and/or bonds. As long as you realize the risks inherent in those asset classes, as well as the fact that you're not getting the absolute maximum possible return, you're essentially meeting the intent of MMM and JLCollins.

The tldr is, sure, I could absolutely diversify into large, mid, and small cap stocks in US, international, and developing markets. I can also throw a little into REIT's, actual real estate, commodities, crypto, and fine art. Is any of that effort worth it for the headache of managing it? Probably not. So you take the simplest shortcut that gets the best results.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 02:19:29 PM by fattest_foot »

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2020, 02:26:57 PM »
Well first off, welcome to the forums @LuigiNMario ! I hope you decide to stick around.  I think you and I will get along.

As for your post, yeah. Diversification is where it’s at. Over time I’m heading that direction so that I’m fully diversified across assets, countries, and asset classes. This latest market temper tantrum is an opportunity to head further in that direction.

The article from MMM is dated.  And while the “put it all into VTSAX” approach is popular here, a vocal minority take a different perspective. People love to be right and tell other people about it, so we’ll hear more from the folks who took a different route if this market correction is shown to have legs.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2020, 02:30:10 PM »
[snip]

I make equal quarterly investments in each ETF, bringing back my AA to its target % each time. I also own a real estate rental property.
[snip]

That's a cheap click-bait title - particularly for a new forum member with almost no posting history. 
Mostly I'm posting here so that others can see how flawed this in-your-face thread truly is.

Your verification of authority statement aside, the asset allocation you describe above is actually LESS diverse than someone who covers VTSAX or the SP500 index fund.  I'd go into how but three of the previous posters have already hit the highlights.  What matters about an SP500 strategy isn't that they are all companies registered in the US, but that they reflect the global marketplace and US and (to a high degree) the developed world's economy, and represent some $25T in market cap.  Profits are close to equally split between north america and the rest of the world, and employ almost 30 million people worldwide (more than half outside the US).

by investing much more heavily into other, smaller funds (primarily Canadian) you are weighting those much much smaller companies much more heavily.  Even though Hydro-One and Emera are Canadian companies and included in the Canadian index, they do less business inside Canada than many SP500 companies such as Apple and FB.

As another aside - you mentioned that you use frequent periodic contributions to rebalance and keep your AA within your set parameters - there really hasn't been any convincing evidence showing that rebalancing more than annually is benefitial, and it's very likely hurting you to constantly be pushing your investments back in line every paycheck or every month.  It short-circuits the practice of selling off assets that have done well for assets which have lagged (i.e. "sell high, buy low").

I suggest you read several of the very good articles linked in this thread.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 02:33:48 PM »
I can't respond to all your critiques/suggestions but I always thought Jl Collins thinking on International exposure was interesting and well laid out:

"With VTSAX you own ~3600 companies, virtually every publicly traded company in the USA.  More to the point, the largest of these are all international businesses, many of which generate 50% or more of their sales and profits overseas.

The top ten holdings of VTSAX, for example, are all international in scope.  Apple, GE, IBM, Exxon/Mobil and the like.

As are the S&P 500 which make up ~75% of VTSAX. This article has a cool graphic of showing the international exposure the S&P 500 companies have. Who would have guessed almost twice as much in Africa as in South America?

Since these companies provide solid access to the growth of world markets, while filtering out most of the additional risk, I don’t feel the need to invest further in international specific funds."

Interesting you should bring up JL. You should listen to his latest interview on the What’s Up podcast. He seems to be reexamining his views on international.

Full disclosure: I like JL and agree with the bulk of what he says. He’s also greatly funny and seems like a great guy. I disagree with his views on VTSAX and cap weighted, large cap US indexes.

Buffaloski Boris

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 02:48:34 PM »

I would readily say it's better to get beginning investors up to speed on the basics and 100% in the S&P than try to tell them to balance 8 funds every 12 weeks for jargon reasons and have their eyes gloss over and have them give up on the idea entirely

How much do we really want to dumb this down?  Being invested in 5 or 6 funds with say annual rebalancing isn’t above anyone’s skill level. You’re right, there is a risk that people’s eyes will glaze over. There is also a risk that they’ll bail and stay out once they get their butts handed to them in a stock crash. I think diversification across asset classes and countries is well worth explaining.

Telecaster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2020, 03:06:23 PM »
I am saying that even for US investors, they should have investments in Non-US Developed markets and emerging markets, as well as bonds, rather than 100% in S&P500 or total US market (not much difference between the two as there is a significant overlap) which he recommends in his article. This is to reduce home bias risk.

The Canadian angle is to point out that this goes double for anyone outside the US.

You are of course correct, BUT the vast majority of people need a simple strategy.  One of the best assett allocations books I ever read is the Four Pillars of Investing

But boy, is it ever dense.  You can't sit down a beach and read it.  It is a slog.    For most people, an investing strategy that is easy and simple yet not optimized beats the shit out of something complicated.  Human nature, that.  The mistake people make is the say, emerging markets portion of the portfolio under performs for a few years, so they sell it, which is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. 

Here's the other thing though:  The MMM recommendation isn't all that bad.  If you invested in just the index over say, the last 20 or 25 years you did fine.  In fact, if you were investing steadily the whole time, you are probably sitting on a big, fat portfolio right now.   And that period includes two stock market crashes. 

PDXTabs

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2020, 03:56:26 PM »
So is your next post about how Warren Buffett is wrong too?

https://www.businessinsider.com/warren-buffett-recommends-index-funds-for-most-investors?r=MX&IR=T

I'll say it: Warren Buffet is wrong. Go look at Vanguard target date funds. I agree with Vanguard on this one.

American GenX

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2020, 04:03:07 PM »

I don't use MMM for investing advice, so who cares.  Reference the links to learn more about investing, then make the best decision for yourself.

LuigiNMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2020, 08:02:15 PM »

Valid points and I understand the idea that the US has many large multinationals, but so do many other countries. The US only represents 40% of the total market cap in the world, it is only logical to seek exposure to the other 60% AND to other asset classes. I get that it's a "good enough", but with our recency bias and the US markets that have been on fire for the past 10 years, you won't see many complainypants now, but once this shifts (and it will inevitably shift), it will get interesting - blame a poor asset allocation policy.

Thanks for the reference it is a very interesting read. Their research is thorough and the time period used is long enough to provide valid reference. The strategy described in their paper can be done by an individual investor, but one would have to be very sophisticated to get into derivative products.

[snip]

[snip]

That's a cheap click-bait title - particularly for a new forum member with almost no posting history. 
Mostly I'm posting here so that others can see how flawed this in-your-face thread truly is.

Your verification of authority statement aside, the asset allocation you describe above is actually LESS diverse than someone who covers VTSAX or the SP500 index fund.  I'd go into how but three of the previous posters have already hit the highlights.  What matters about an SP500 strategy isn't that they are all companies registered in the US, but that they reflect the global marketplace and US and (to a high degree) the developed world's economy, and represent some $25T in market cap.  Profits are close to equally split between north america and the rest of the world, and employ almost 30 million people worldwide (more than half outside the US).

by investing much more heavily into other, smaller funds (primarily Canadian) you are weighting those much much smaller companies much more heavily.  Even though Hydro-One and Emera are Canadian companies and included in the Canadian index, they do less business inside Canada than many SP500 companies such as Apple and FB.

As another aside - you mentioned that you use frequent periodic contributions to rebalance and keep your AA within your set parameters - there really hasn't been any convincing evidence showing that rebalancing more than annually is benefitial, and it's very likely hurting you to constantly be pushing your investments back in line every paycheck or every month.  It short-circuits the practice of selling off assets that have done well for assets which have lagged (i.e. "sell high, buy low").

I suggest you read several of the very good articles linked in this thread.

I already addressed the ''US companies generate a significant portion of their revenue internationally'' above. Regarding your points on my asset allocation being less diversified than the US total stock market.. I do have the US total market index in my PF plus canadian companies since I live here, and ROW companies.

Actually, William Bernstein in his book "The Intelligent Asset Allocator recommends rebalancing quarterly, and many other research points this way as well. Rebalancing annually may be fine as well, but I find a yearly basis is a long time to wait to invest in the market.

You are of course correct, BUT the vast majority of people need a simple strategy.  One of the best assett allocations books I ever read is the Four Pillars of Investing

But boy, is it ever dense.  You can't sit down a beach and read it.  It is a slog.    For most people, an investing strategy that is easy and simple yet not optimized beats the shit out of something complicated.  Human nature, that.  The mistake people make is the say, emerging markets portion of the portfolio under performs for a few years, so they sell it, which is the exact opposite of what you should be doing. 

Here's the other thing though:  The MMM recommendation isn't all that bad.  If you invested in just the index over say, the last 20 or 25 years you did fine.  In fact, if you were investing steadily the whole time, you are probably sitting on a big, fat portfolio right now.   And that period includes two stock market crashes. 

Honestly, if an individual investor is unable to manage at least two ETFs: a Total US stock market index and a Total Bond Index, I don't think they should be investing in financial markets at all.. For a US investor it can be a very dead simple portfolio of three ETFs: a bond ETF, a US market ETF and a ROW ETF

I have to agree with Buffaloski Boris on this:

How much do we really want to dumb this down?  Being invested in 5 or 6 funds with say annual rebalancing isn’t above anyone’s skill level. You’re right, there is a risk that people’s eyes will glaze over. There is also a risk that they’ll bail and stay out once they get their butts handed to them in a stock crash. I think diversification across asset classes and countries is well worth explaining.

FrugalFisherman10

• Bristles
    • Fly Fishing Photo Project
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2020, 08:37:51 PM »
Interesting you should bring up JL. You should listen to his latest interview on the What’s Up podcast. He seems to be reexamining his views on international.

Full disclosure: I like JL and agree with the bulk of what he says. He’s also greatly funny and seems like a great guy. I disagree with his views on VTSAX and cap weighted, large cap US indexes.
Sweet I'll check it out. I agree I think he might be starting to change his opinion on it, as I think he states in one of the addendums at the bottom of that article I referenced.

I often think I should maybe add some international exposure myself, broadly speaking.  I'm then reminded of the saying:
"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
I'm sure I butchered that but IYKYK

And I would say that same thing to the OP ...just because there's been a decade long "tide" of strong US market returns doesn't mean a changing tide to better ex-US returns is inevitable.
So just a caution to watch your thinking on that one. There's just no basis for it. Things don't work like that

LuigiNMario

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2020, 08:50:45 PM »
@FrugalFisherman10 you're right, just because the US market has experienced a 10-yr run does not mean it could not go on for another 10 or even 20 years.

At some point, there will be a downturn, and US equity will underperform other markets for some time. It happened many times in the past, so if history is any guide we'll see it happen again. Unless you want to say the four most dangerous words in investment: this time it's different ;)

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 09:31:07 PM »
I agree 100% with indexing, but I don't agree with having the S&P500 as your only asset (or its home equivalent depending on your country). As for Mr. Buffet, his instructions are 10% ST gov bonds/90% S&P500.. Not 100% S&P500.
Was that a joke?  You're going to claim 90% S&P 500 and 100% S&P 500 are significantly different?

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 09:46:24 PM »
First, I am a 26yr old Canadian ...  I studied/work in finance and have read pretty much every possible books on investing for individual investors ...
You "work in finance" at age 26.  To clarify, you are not an authority on finance, correct?

We mostly agree that diversification is important.  Where it is least important is in the United States.  If you market cap weight the entire world, the U.S. holds more than half the world's market cap.  You can browse any "Total World" or "All Countries Index", and U.S. alone will comprise over 50% of the index / fund.

Monocle Money Mouth

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2020, 03:43:03 AM »

This is spot on. Investing really can be as simple as holding an S&P 500 fund. It’s human nature to think the more complicated product or strategy is the superior one. It’s been my experience that the simpler solution is often the better one since it is easier to understand, implement, and track.

I think having a complicated investment strategy gives people a feeling of control since you have the investment equivalent of knobs and switches to fiddle with when the markets tank.

Holding just S&P 500 funds may not be a perfect investment, but it is good enough to get started.

mrmoonymartian

• Bristles
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2020, 03:53:15 AM »
Periodic rebalancing or redirecting distributions to underweight assets give about the same pre-tax result in Figure 8 of the below paper. You could view the distributions as 'selling' if you like. I don't see how adding wage income to the buy-low side of the equation is likely to be harmful. Would you rather they buy the other assets high or hold it as cash for up to a year?

https://www.vanguard.com/pdf/ISGPORE.pdf
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 03:54:55 AM by mrmoonymartian »

Maenad

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2020, 05:04:31 AM »
OK, I'm going to be a condescending Gen-X-er here. I haven't had my coffee, and my patience for the millionth iteration of the same argument is low.

OP, keep reading. Your thesis statement is nothing new. There have been many, many discussions and arguments around how much international exposure is "correct" above and beyond what's baked into the US stock market indices.

Read more, post less.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2020, 05:33:02 AM »
OK, I'm going to be a condescending Gen-X-er here. I haven't had my coffee, and my patience for the millionth iteration of the same argument is low.

OP, keep reading. Your thesis statement is nothing new. There have been many, many discussions and arguments around how much international exposure is "correct" above and beyond what's baked into the US stock market indices.

Read more, post less.
+1.