Author Topic: "Green" (Non Evil) Portfolio  (Read 1148 times)

coynemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
"Green" (Non Evil) Portfolio
« on: April 02, 2020, 02:35:16 PM »
I tried searching best I could for any previous threads on this - I'm guessing I'm not the first to have the idea, but I'm wondering if there exists a sort of S&P 500 of altruistic (or at least not outright evil) companies. I understand by their very nature they may not be the BEST investments, but it feels a little suspect when I start thinking about how I'm basically funding certain energy companies to continue to destroy the planet in search of gains.

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.
Re: "Green" (Non Evil) Portfolio
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 02:48:41 PM »
Try these ingredients:
FITLX
FNIDX
FXNAX

See if you like the taste.

Radagast

• Magnum Stache
  • One Does Not Simply Work Into Mordor
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 03:08:53 PM »
SUSL?

terran

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 03:39:14 PM »
There have been many past threads on this. Searching for "social investing" should get you started.

A couple of questions for you to consider: Does a company benefit if you own their stock? Who benefits if a the value of a "sin" stock is higher? How much does a social index fund or ETF cost compared to a comparable fund or ETF that isn't filtered in that way? If you had more money from investing in a regular total market fund, could you make a bigger difference for the causes you care about by donating to those causes?

theolympians

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 03:47:08 PM »
How do you define "evil" in the context of business? Since you indicate that you are having a difficult time, I take it you are assuming most of the companies available are "evil".

BicycleB

• Walrus Stache
  • Older than the internet, but not wiser... yet

Joe Schmo

• Stubble
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 05:35:01 PM »
Just look at the holdings of those non-evil ETFs and see how that sits with you. As a fan of Dave Ramsey and of people not being exploited to the max I ain't a big fan of credit card companies. If I were to be looking at a "non-evil" fund I sure wouldn't want to see Visa and Mastercard on their holdings...

hadabeardonce

• Bristles
  • It's never too early to learn the value of money.

MustacheAndaHalf

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2020, 05:28:09 AM »
I've gradually changed my view on social investing now that I see "ESG" (Environmental, Social, Governance) tracked for various mutual funds and companies.  When companies pay attention, it can be worth doing.
https://etfdb.com/esg-investing/

coynemoney

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2020, 11:13:48 AM »
How do you define "evil" in the context of business? Since you indicate that you are having a difficult time, I take it you are assuming most of the companies available are "evil".

I realize the premise is pretty absurd and naive but I figured it's something to think about while I'm throwing $200 of every paycheck toward a small part of hundreds of companies which may or may not be making the world a worse place.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!