Author Topic: Starting a native garden in NJ  (Read 7823 times)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
Starting a native garden in NJ
« on: August 08, 2021, 07:33:01 AM »
I moved early this year to a new (to me) house. It has lawn on all four sides with some minor planting against the foundation.

I will be growing a native garden in about 1000 sq ft of it.
My goals for this garden are
  • Only native plants!
  • No use of pesticides or chemical fertilizers
  • It should look good, like Piet Oudolfs designs
  • It should attract pollinators, butterflies, and birds
  • Should need only minimal maintenance after it has been set up. I'm lazy, what can I say ;-)

Would love to get ideas from others and suggestions on what I can do.

I'm  in Central New Jersey.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 08:38:54 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Starting a native garden in NJ
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2021, 08:09:09 AM »
Before anyone asks, I'll answer the question "Why natives only?"

What started me on the path to realizing this was when I fell sick and started bird watching. I got a lot of great advice on this forum. Like any birdwatcher, I also wanted to attract birds and when @wenchsenior mentioned a couple of plants that worked in attracting birds in the South West, I was all gung ho and ready to buy them. I think, she gently told me to plant something local to my area. She also put up a few pictures of her garden (before and after), and I wanted my yard to look like that. Youtube talks by Dr. Doug Tallamy and a  movie like Kiss the ground crystallized my thoughts. I came to the realization that all living things are interconnected.

I started a pollinator garden on one side of my yard. Unfortunately, I sold the house before the garden was fully established, but the results I had seen were very encouraging.

So, here I am. Back to square one and starting a native garden.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2021, 08:36:13 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2021, 08:43:40 AM »
Starting a garden of plants native to your area is really great. Where I live, the local chapter of the national native plants association holds plant sales in spring and autumn, and I can get plants grown from local seeds (not only are the plants native to my area, but they are the version of the plant that actually grows locally). This means that they’re acclimatised to my area over many generations, and are more likely to deal with the local climate. They also have seeds from the local area available to members.

My front garden is all local native plants. I rarely need to do anything but weed it, as the plants have grown enough to not need watering. I’ve never used any pesticides or chemical fertilisers, and it does attract a wide variety of native wildlife.

Hope your garden is successful!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2021, 09:09:19 AM »
Thanks, @deborah. Good ideas on buying local plants. I have identified one nursery (Bowmans Hill), but it is quite expensive. I've also reached out to other gardeners on Facebook groups to try and get seeds/plugs.

Would love to see pictures of your garden.

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 04:16:06 PM »
I would suggest connecting with the local arboretums. I’m on the mainline in pa, and there are a number of arboretums in the area that support native gardeners. Many have seasonal plant sales of natives, or swaps where local gardeners bring their divided plants. You could also connect up with your local extension; pretty sure Rutgers has educational supports for native focused gardening.

Finally, I have had luck getting free plants from friends and on buy nothing, because most natives are Either perennials that need to be divided or perennialized annuals that you can gather seeds from.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 07:30:47 AM »
Great ideas @Weisass.

BTW, love the username.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2021, 07:55:22 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 01:37:07 PM »
Great ideas @Weisass.

BTW, love the username.

Thanks :D I'm rather happy with it... my family would say it captures my personality.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 02:29:26 PM »
This is what I have to work with. It is an L-shaped plot. Sun varies between 8 hours for some spots and about 4 for the others.

Soil is extremely poor, just clay and stones and with zero organic matter. So, my first task is to get 6 inches of arborist wood chips on the soil to kill off the weeds and the occasional grass distributed within it. Hopefully, by spring, the tiny pieces have broken down and I have some organic matter in the soil. I expect all 6 inches to break down in a couple of years or more. I also expect that I will be putting in another 2 inches each fall.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2021, 08:31:21 AM »
Its been some time since I reported in. I have been working on the garden, but just too lazy to post about it.

The soil is so poor. Just clay. I have a hard time growing anything here. I need to improve the soil, so I have spent some time thinking about how to do so.

So, after reading about Back to Eden gardening (https://www.epicgardening.com/back-to-eden-gardening) I decided to improve the soil by using wood chips. Just dump about 6 inches of wood chips on the lawn. Dual purpose, it will kill all grass under the chips and improve the soil by providing organic matter. If I complete my wood chip covering by end of fall, by spring maybe the bottom inch or so of chips (the smallest chips) will become compost. The top layer would act as a mulch as it slowly decomposes over the next couple of years or so.

Getting wood chips is easy, you can use https://getchipdrop.com/ in the US to get a free load of wood chips. One problem with this site is that you cannot control the quantity of wood chips delivered. You get a full load of what the arborist has.
I ended up not going this route since my neighbor was getting a couple of trees cut down and the arborist was more than happy to drop the chips on my driveway. Even though I got about 8 cubic yards of chips, it was not enough to cover the complete 1200sq ft that I plan to convert to a native garden.

lhamo

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2021, 11:33:24 AM »
Re: sourcing natives, see if there are any permaculture groups in your area.  Many permaculture enthusiasts will be more than happy to share seedlings or cuttings, often for free.  They will also likely know what local nurseries and gardening organizations reliably source natives.

The forums at https://permies.com/forums go back quite a ways (along with the site design -- very 1990s!) and can have good leads on local nurseries, etc. even if there isn't much recent activity by posters in your area.

Some people have issues with using lots of cardboard due to possible toxins in the glues, but I side with those that find it a good base layer for keeping the grass and weeds from springing back quickly under a load of wood chips.  In my area it is very easy to source -- just go out early on recycling pickup days and fill up your car if you can't get enough through buy nothing or next door requests.  You might want to experiment with using cardboard on a few sections of the yard to compare how it does with weed suppression versus the wood chips alone.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 09:03:15 AM »
Re: sourcing natives, see if there are any permaculture groups in your area.  Many permaculture enthusiasts will be more than happy to share seedlings or cuttings, often for free.  They will also likely know what local nurseries and gardening organizations reliably source natives.

The forums at https://permies.com/forums go back quite a ways (along with the site design -- very 1990s!) and can have good leads on local nurseries, etc. even if there isn't much recent activity by posters in your area.

Some people have issues with using lots of cardboard due to possible toxins in the glues, but I side with those that find it a good base layer for keeping the grass and weeds from springing back quickly under a load of wood chips.  In my area it is very easy to source -- just go out early on recycling pickup days and fill up your car if you can't get enough through buy nothing or next door requests.  You might want to experiment with using cardboard on a few sections of the yard to compare how it does with weed suppression versus the wood chips alone.
Thanks @lhamo. All great ideas.

I'm trying a bit without the cardboard (the back part of the picture) and the front has cardboard. I've been trying to use the brown paper ones only, not the ones with the shiny surfaces or the ones with a lot of printing.

Good tips on permaculture groups. We have a plant exchange on facebook for this area. Unfortunately, I have nothing to trade with :-(

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 04:33:05 PM »
Getting wood chips is easy, you can use https://getchipdrop.com/ in the US to get a free load of wood chips. One problem with this site is that you cannot control the quantity of wood chips delivered. You get a full load of what the arborist has.
Is this something available for Hawaii? I'd rather not sign up and find out Hawaii isn't participating.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 11:36:14 AM »
Is this something available for Hawaii? I'd rather not sign up and find out Hawaii isn't participating.

I just did a google search for "chip drop hawaii" and saw these two

https://www.imualand.com/free-wood-chips

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/customer-service/frequently-asked-questions?FAQFilter1=490&page=1

Sure there must be more.

Kierun

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2021, 12:55:06 PM »

I just did a google search for "chip drop hawaii" and saw these two

https://www.imualand.com/free-wood-chips

https://www.hawaiianelectric.com/customer-service/frequently-asked-questions?FAQFilter1=490&page=1

Sure there must be more.
Duh, why didn't I think of that? Just Google it, aiya.  Mahalo!

dizzy

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2022, 09:07:53 AM »
How's your garden doing?  I'm also in NJ and trying to come up with plans for next year.
I tried 2 years of square foot gardening and more conventional methods (I had low time and energy, it was what it was) and it was not great...wanting to do heirlooms/natives now

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2022, 01:35:37 PM »
How's your garden doing?  I'm also in NJ and trying to come up with plans for next year.
I tried 2 years of square foot gardening and more conventional methods (I had low time and energy, it was what it was) and it was not great...wanting to do heirlooms/natives now

Still a lot of snow on the ground, so no planting yet.

I have covered the full area with wood chips to a depth of 4-6 inches. Since I have terrible clay soil, when the wood chips compost, the soil should be much improved.

Due to the wood chips, I cannot plant seeds and will plant seedlings in May after the last frost date.

I am working on a planting plan. Basically selecting plants based on sun exposure etc. Some parts of the garden are full sun, some partial and the remaining third is just shade. I also have a lot of deer, so will prefer deer-resistant plants.

So short answer, working on it. Should be in full bloom in the summer of 2023-2024. The greatness of the native garden is not having much to do after it has been planted.

Also, have a couple of raised beds where DW wants to grow heirloom tomatoes and hot chilli peppers.

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
  • One foot in front of the other....
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2022, 03:10:11 PM »
I would suggest some winter sowing to get growing your own seedling stock.  It worked out great for me last year.  I did have to make some squirrel proof covers for my trays but I got a lot of native plants in the end for the effort.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 08:47:48 AM »
I would suggest some winter sowing to get growing your own seedling stock.  It worked out great for me last year.  I did have to make some squirrel proof covers for my trays but I got a lot of native plants in the end for the effort.

Great idea about the winter sowing.

I did not do this since I moved to this house in 2021 and I have a pile of higher priority projects that need to be completed. So, the garden took a back seat and I'll use seedlings this year. I'll winter sow in the fall/winter of 2022 for the 2023 season.

former player

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 09:01:02 AM »
I don't know what sort of soil you've got but it's possible if your woodchips are pine that they may acidify it a bit.  That won't matter if your soil is generally alkaline but if it is already acid may intensify it.  A basic soil testing kit is not expensive and will tell you whether your soil is acid or alkaline and that will help you get native plants that will flourish rather than struggle in your particular area.

(My soil is acid, which I know without bothering about testing by all the camelias and rhododendrons growing around here.  I avoid adding woodchips and have sown wildflowers that prefer acid soils.  I'm planning to add a bit of lime to help out some of the more traditional garden planting close to the house.)

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 09:21:21 AM »
You can grow your own seedlings this year, just get some local seed from the wildflower networks in your area.  Fill some trays with soil.  put the seed on top. Water and put the trays outside to get rained on and warmed and refrozen.  Just protect from foraging squirrels.  By the fall you will have your own extremely inexpensive seedling plugs.  The only work they require in the summer is regular watering, but you can "heal'' them in with some wood chips around the tray to reduce the speed they dry out at. 

I got 3 trays of 72 plugs - including 7 pawpaws for a couple of hours of work. 
Once you have a bed, you can direct sow in the winter. 

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2022, 03:02:28 PM »
Good ideas @Frugal Lizard. I'll definitely do that.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2022, 06:33:50 PM »
Just a quick update.

I got a lot of tiny plants from my friends on the native plant facebook groups. All are in the ground since late April. I've added a deer fence so my tiny plants do not get eaten. All of the plants are doing well except for the butterfly weed. The rabbits though have eaten my butterfly weed :-(

Also, working on
  • A fountain that should help the birds/pollinators to get water.
  • A couple of raised beds for DW

I had mentioned that I had used the "Back to Eden" plan of covering the lawn with wood chips. When I was digging for planting the seedlings, I saw how much the clay soil has improved with the addition of wood chip. I saw lots of worms under the chips and when I dig, I see the first inch or so has already turned darker. Awesome!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 06:40:19 PM by CowboyAndIndian »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2022, 12:22:25 PM »
Awesome indeed!

Clay soil is actually really good soil with a heavy dose of organic material and care not to trample it.  It holds tight to nutrients but with some organic matter and the fungi that comes with all that nutrition is unlocked for the plants.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2022, 03:53:57 PM »
Here is a picture of the cross-section of the soil that I took while digging for the fountain. This was taken from the first part of the garden that I covered with wood chips, sometime in Sept. 2021.

I love how much the soil has improved!

NaN

• Bristles
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2022, 09:01:54 PM »
Check out the national wildlife federation. Just listened to a podcast. They have program shipping native plants for your area to your door. Sounded really neat.
 https://gardenforwildlife.com/pages/shop-native-plants-by-state?utm_source=nwf-other&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=gfw-month-2022

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2022, 08:49:47 AM »
Progress report on my native garden in NJ.

Here are some before and after pictures as well as the plan I am trying to achieve.

All of my plantings are those I have got from native plant groups on Facebook. I might break down and buy some that I have not been able to find.

Since I have been doing all of this work on my own, it is going rather slowly. The horrendous heat this summer did not help either.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 08:52:33 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

Frugal Lizard

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2022, 08:01:30 AM »
Don't get discouraged:  Native plants take a long time to get going.  But even though you can't see much happening above ground, a lot is going on below in building a robust root system.

I'd say that you have done a huge amount of work getting rid of all that turf!

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2022, 12:11:52 PM »
Just found this thread and I love it! We're doing something similar with our front yard. It currently looks like a lot of small plants floating among islands of woodchips. But our backyard had a wild prairie section already in before we bought the place and it's amazing. We've got lots of birds and squirrels and chipmunks, but also hawks come visit and we just saw a fox in our backyard! (Note: we live on a small suburban lot, and are surrounded by other fenced in yards.) I still am amazed we get such animal diversity when our immediate neighbors have largely blank yards... walking on our block you can heard a loud insect chorus from our yard that fades as you pass.

I am growing native plants from seed this year but they're fairly small. When we go to the local nursery I'm jealous of their much stronger looking plants. Planting my baby seedlings this fall anyway and we'll see how they take next year.

Looking forward to following along on your progress!

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2022, 06:40:34 AM »
Don't get discouraged:  Native plants take a long time to get going.  But even though you can't see much happening above ground, a lot is going on below in building a robust root system.

I'd say that you have done a huge amount of work getting rid of all that turf!

Thank you. I really needed that.

I started in fall of 2021 and do not expect a finished garden till end of 2023 or even early 2024. But, I have time, and I try to convince myself that the journey is as important as the destination ;-)

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2022, 06:44:56 AM »
Just found this thread and I love it! We're doing something similar with our front yard. It currently looks like a lot of small plants floating among islands of woodchips. But our backyard had a wild prairie section already in before we bought the place and it's amazing. We've got lots of birds and squirrels and chipmunks, but also hawks come visit and we just saw a fox in our backyard! (Note: we live on a small suburban lot, and are surrounded by other fenced in yards.) I still am amazed we get such animal diversity when our immediate neighbors have largely blank yards... walking on our block you can heard a loud insect chorus from our yard that fades as you pass.

I am growing native plants from seed this year but they're fairly small. When we go to the local nursery I'm jealous of their much stronger looking plants. Planting my baby seedlings this fall anyway and we'll see how they take next year.

Looking forward to following along on your progress!

Nice, glad to find a fellow traveller on my journey.

We have squirrels, deer and rabbits. I have seen a fox in the distance. The deer problem is so bad.

Yeah, those tiny plants in the sea of wood chips make you wonder if you reach the goal. But, they spend the first season building roots. I believe the second and third year will be much better.

Post some pictures of your garden, would love to see them.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2024, 08:43:09 PM »
Bringing this back to life. @CowboyAndIndian , how's it looking?

I've got an area cleared and ready for planting on the side of my house and am going to the native plant sale this weekend. Hoping to find some good plants.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2024, 05:09:38 AM »
It is doing good. Not like a manicured English garden, but more like a 5 year old let loose with his crayons. I see a lot of birds and insects. A lot of birds have made a home around the trees in the yard. I love having the birds around except when they let loose with the dawn chorus ;-).

The deer pressure was immense, so I finally broke down and put in a fence. Now, I just have a rabbit problem ;-)

As the saying goes, "The first year the garden sleeps, then next year it creeps and then it leaps". It sort of makes sense in putting in roots etc. I am in start of year 3, so this summer I will eagerly wait to see how it leaps.

I have also seen major collateral help to my kitchen garden due to my pollinator native garden. My kitchen garden has no problems being pollinated, while my neighbors with insect free yards complain about their kitchen gardens not producing. I wonder if they realize that their frequent pesticide applications on their lawn and mosquito treatments they set up every few weeks has an impact on their kitchen garden?

For your garden, you can find a native plant group/exchange on Facebook. I got all of my plants that way. It is a little slower process and limits you to what others are giving.

I would suggest putting in a water source for birds. For the insects/butterflies/pollinators, put in a puddling area. A couple of big rocks around the puddling area will give a place for butterflies to bask in the sun.

Be worried about extremely aggressive plants. Someone gave me Canada goldenrod and that might be something that I will have to fight to prevent it from taking over.  I wish I had done my research, there are varieties of goldenrod which are not as aggressive as Canada goldenrod.

Other plants (mountain Mint) do not have showy flowers, but is a magnet for pollinators. They do spread, but I think we can keep it under control. Another star is Anise Hyssop. Unlike mountain Mint, it has beautiful flowers and the pollinators love it.

For beauty, I've got black eyed susans, cone flowers and Liatris. Also seem to be getting native daisies(fleabane?) come up on their own .

I need to add something to attract hummingbirds. I am fascinated by those tiny birds. I am thinking about lonicera sempervirens (coral honeysuckle). I already have cardinal flowers and bee balm. The male hummingbirds are very territorial, so I probably need to make two separate areas, not in line of sight from each other.

I'll add a photo or two in a couple of months. Best of luck with your native garden.

ETA: Adding a 6-8 inch layer of wood chips on the ground was fantastic. The awful clay soil that I started with has been transformed to beautiful black soil to a depth of  at least 6 inches. Every shovelful is full of worms. The soil has gone from sterile, to full of life.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 05:36:23 AM by CowboyAndIndian »

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2024, 08:14:26 AM »
Awesome! Post some pics once everything gets going well please.

For my little area, it's literally 3ft by about 10ft, and there's a walkway that needs to remain clear. So I'm very limited. It won't be as good as a result, but every little bit helps. I have another area in the yard however which I have longer term plans for that can be far more unrestricted. And even longer term, this little area will have some of the restrictions eased. That involves concrete work though.

tygertygertyger

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2024, 09:35:56 AM »
I love this update! Thanks for returning and sharing.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2024, 03:57:28 PM »
Awesome! Post some pics once everything gets going well please.

For my little area, it's literally 3ft by about 10ft, and there's a walkway that needs to remain clear. So I'm very limited. It won't be as good as a result, but every little bit helps. I have another area in the yard however which I have longer term plans for that can be far more unrestricted. And even longer term, this little area will have some of the restrictions eased. That involves concrete work though.

That is the same size as a hell strip (between sidewalk and road). So, if you search for hell strip ideas in your area, you should get a good idea of what plants would do well there. In your case, you do not have to worry about salt on the road.

I'll post pics when I have some flowering. Right now, just the golden Alexander and fleabane are blooming.

CowboyAndIndian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2024, 03:58:51 PM »
I love this update! Thanks for returning and sharing.

Thank you. How is your garden doing?

BTW, a red fox just went past our front door a couple of days ago and I remembered your post.

Sibley

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2024, 08:43:37 PM »
I did go to the plant sale, and I did get plants. I ended up getting 4 different types of plants for that specific area (multiples of each). It absolutely doesn't fill up the space right now, but I will give it a year or two and see where its at. I also got plants for 3 other areas which had too much open space. These plants are quite young/small, so most of them aren't visible in the pictures I took. Hopefully, they will do well where I planted them. Each area had open space because they are challenging areas.

Crossing fingers that everyone's gardens grow well :)