Author Topic: Decomposed granite directly over grass and or sheet mulch?  (Read 1621 times)

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
Decomposed granite directly over grass and or sheet mulch?
« on: June 07, 2022, 05:06:32 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone here worked with decomposed granite and know if it can be poured over a sheet mulch (wet cardboard laid over existing grass) or directly over grass? Or is it an absolute necessity to dig out/remove the grass or sod and have a bare soil surface to pour the DG onto? We have DG integrated into our landscape design plan and I'm trying to think of the easiest and best way to get it installed.
Modify message

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
Re: Decomposed granite directly over grass and or sheet mulch?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2022, 07:37:41 PM »
Wet cardboard works remarkably well to smother grass. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, as long as you plan on installing a deep enough well of decomposed granite.

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2022, 08:07:06 AM »
Wet cardboard works remarkably well to smother grass. I can’t see why it wouldn’t work, as long as you plan on installing a deep enough well of decomposed granite.

Thanks! I think the only consideration and or concern would be the depth as you mention - the grass/sod is probably 'level' with the cement area right now. If we were to put DG in, it would spill over and also be higher than the cement. I suppose we could use edging for that? *Or* we could 'grade' the DG on top of the sheet mulched lawn... but from what I've seen reading around, it seems like you typically want to excavate some amount of soil out before pouring in the DG. I'm thinking for the areas we want to put DG we may not have much choice other than to excavate. If that's the case, it may be better to hire this kind of work out while I have a bum left wrist :T

Weisass

• Pencil Stache
    • "Deeper In Me Than I"
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2022, 08:29:13 PM »
Yea, that does sound like a job that would require excavation.

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2022, 03:28:10 AM »
I couldn't find it with a quick google search but I do remember reading or seeing something about how to stack and cover removed sod to get really good compost. I think you stack sods grass sides together, maybe in a black plastic bag and leave it for a year? Anyway, my point being, that stuff is supposed to be great compost. Are there any community gardens or allotments or similar in your area that might be interested in taking it all off your hands, as in doing the work to dig out that layer and take it away with them?

jeromedawg

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2022, 09:09:14 AM »
I couldn't find it with a quick google search but I do remember reading or seeing something about how to stack and cover removed sod to get really good compost. I think you stack sods grass sides together, maybe in a black plastic bag and leave it for a year? Anyway, my point being, that stuff is supposed to be great compost. Are there any community gardens or allotments or similar in your area that might be interested in taking it all off your hands, as in doing the work to dig out that layer and take it away with them?

Interesting! I haven't heard of places that will remove your sod for free (for the purpose of claiming it for composting). I think a majority of places want to charge, especially knowing that the whole point of this turf removal is for customers to get a rebate - given that, I would think most places would actually want to charge you for turf removal regardless of what they do with it so they can get a piece of the pie! If they are able to 'double-dip' because they intend to compost with it, that's a double-win for them haha

Moonwaves

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2022, 10:44:17 AM »

Interesting! I haven't heard of places that will remove your sod for free (for the purpose of claiming it for composting). I think a majority of places want to charge, especially knowing that the whole point of this turf removal is for customers to get a rebate - given that, I would think most places would actually want to charge you for turf removal regardless of what they do with it so they can get a piece of the pie! If they are able to 'double-dip' because they intend to compost with it, that's a double-win for them haha
Oh I was thinking purely of people who might be willing to do the work just to get their hands on top-quality free topsoil/compost material for free. Like your local Buy Nothing or freecycle or whatever local groups there are near you.