Author Topic: Why was I banned?  (Read 35750 times)

Soconfused2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Why was I banned?
« on: September 24, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
I have been a longtime contributor to this forum under a different username.

Imagine my surprise to visit the site today to see that I was banned for “race baiting, trolling”.

I don’t have the first idea what I could possibly have written that offended anyone, and don’t know how to contact an administrator to see if it was a mistake.

Help? Can I PM someone to understand what happened?

Turkey Leg

• Bristles
Re: Why was I banned?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2018, 03:37:08 PM »

Imagine my surprise to visit the site today to see that I was banned for “race baiting, trolling”.

I don’t have the first idea what I could possibly have written that offended anyone, and don’t know how to contact an administrator to see if it was a mistake.

Help? Can I PM someone to understand what happened?

@FrugalToque  @arebelspy

Soconfused2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 03:45:01 PM »
Thanks, I sent them a PM

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2018, 06:27:41 PM »
It happens to me frequently. It says I’ve had multiple warnings for being rude and that I’m permanently and irreversibly banned. I googled it and apparently it’s not an uncommon oddity on the forum.
I clear my history and cookies on my phone and it goes away. It’s annoying though.

Good to know this is a risk factor!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2018, 06:39:53 PM »
It happens to me frequently. It says I’ve had multiple warnings for being rude and that I’m permanently and irreversibly banned. I googled it and apparently it’s not an uncommon oddity on the forum.
I clear my history and cookies on my phone and it goes away. It’s annoying though.

Yep, this happened to me when I lived near a Former Forum Troublemaker. Any time he showed back up and got banned, for months after my phone would freak out and tell me I was banned. Heart attack central! Moving fixed it though.

Soconfused2016

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 12:16:28 AM »
Problem solved! Clearing my cookies did the trick.

That’s so weird.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 06:03:50 AM »
Yep, your local ISP just assigned you an IP address that was banned--your account wasn't. :)

Glad you were able to solve it, and thanks everyone here for helping.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2018, 04:04:46 AM »
Yep, your local ISP just assigned you an IP address that was banned--your account wasn't. :)

What's the point of banning dynamic IP addresses?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2018, 05:18:19 AM »

What's the point of banning dynamic IP addresses?

1) No way to tell if an IP is static or dynamic.
2) They usually stay with the same person. Even a dynamic one may not be reassigned by an ISP for months.
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
    • Here's how you can support science today:
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2018, 05:21:48 AM »

Now that you are no longer erroneously banned -- who are you Soconfused2016? what's your normal username?

DreamFIRE

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2018, 07:26:08 PM »
It's very common for a single public IP to be shared with hundreds or thousands of computers through a method known as PAT.

Lordy

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2018, 08:16:01 AM »
1) No way to tell if an IP is static or dynamic.

I have to disagree.

There are services out there like http://www.rbl-dns.com/dul.shtml
They certainly aren't perfect but can be helpful.

2) They usually stay with the same person. Even a dynamic one may not be reassigned by an ISP for months.

With Carrier Grade NAT being deployed in more and more ISPs, it's actually more likely that one IPv4 address is shared by multiple users. This may cause overblocking.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2018, 08:01:08 PM »
It's very common for a single public IP to be shared with hundreds or thousands of computers through a method known as PAT.

What about for large companies or universities which would have hundreds/thousands of devices hooked up? Do they all have the same IP address?

maizefolk

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 08:20:53 PM »

What about for large companies or universities which would have hundreds/thousands of devices hooked up? Do they all have the same IP address?

Generally no. Many of the public universities got into the internet game early, so they tend to have a lot of IP addresses. So did certain internet/tech companies. For example Apple has the entire 17.0.0.0/8 address block (every IP address that starts with 17.) which is more than 16 million unique IP addresses. Apple as 123,000 employees so I think they are in pretty good shape.

Consumer ISPs got into the internet game a lot later when IP addresses were being handed out in smaller blocks, so now they're running out much faster now that there are no more unassigned IP addresses left to request from the IANA/ARIN.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2018, 04:50:51 AM »

Generally no. Many of the public universities got into the internet game early, so they tend to have a lot of IP addresses. So did certain internet/tech companies. For example Apple has the entire 17.0.0.0/8 address block (every IP address that starts with 17.) which is more than 16 million unique IP addresses. Apple as 123,000 employees so I think they are in pretty good shape.

Consumer ISPs got into the internet game a lot later when IP addresses were being handed out in smaller blocks, so now they're running out much faster now that there are no more unassigned IP addresses left to request from the IANA/ARIN.

So this seems like a potential problem downstream as the number of connected devices continues to multiply at an exponential rate (at least for now).  certainly some fixes are being proposed?  Knowing nothing about the underlying computer programming, could a new IP address structure be created with a few more digits?

man, i just thought up an idea for a dystopian novellette - computer access is everything and the powerful control most of the few-billion IP numbers.  kind of like every other dystopian novel, only instead of water or 'spice' we're fighting over something completely intangible invented decades earlier but hard-coded into our system to such a degree that it can't be changed.

Roger D

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2018, 05:01:50 AM »
... could a new IP address structure be created with a few more digits? ...
Don't worry, it's a solved problem. The numbers that are in short supply are IP Version 4, but IP Version 6 has near-enough unlimited addresses, and is already quite widely used. IPv6 is a little more complex to configure, but no doubt that will be streamlined in time.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2018, 07:10:42 AM »
Don't worry, it's a solved problem. The numbers that are in short supply are IP Version 4, but IP Version 6 has near-enough unlimited addresses, and is already quite widely used. IPv6 is a little more complex to configure, but no doubt that will be streamlined in time.

Good to know, thanks.  I love the breadth of knowledge on this forum!

gmdv

• Stubble
  • Hermit Wannabe
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2018, 12:18:40 PM »
Any recommendation on how to get unbanned on mobile?  I found out this morning that I'm permanently banned from this forum when trying to access through my phone.  Did multiple resets but still nothing.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2018, 01:34:22 PM »
Any recommendation on how to get unbanned on mobile?  I found out this morning that I'm permanently banned from this forum when trying to access through my phone.  Did multiple resets but still nothing.
PM a moderator.  @FrugalToque , @arebelspy.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2018, 02:18:01 PM »
PM a moderator.  @FrugalToque , @arebelspy.
For the record I have this same issue, so curious to the response. I just haven't used the forum on mobile for ... awhile. A month?
Home wifi or other wifi doesn't seem to matter. I've erased cookies etc. to no result.

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 12:19:19 AM »
The problem isn't so much that it's complex to configure, the problem is that devices that don't know IPv6 would have no access if IPv4 goes away - a problem for old devices that don't usually get software updates. I wonder how much of that problem is becoming moot as the web decides to no longer serve clients that don't support TLS 1.2.

Most consumer ISPs seem to be happy to provide only IPv4 to their customers because their customers don't complain and keeping the internet on IPv4 is in the interest of ISPs because in IPv4 they own a limited resource - address space. If your provider doesn't provide IPv6 directly, you can tunnel IPv6 over IPv4, but that is complex to set up for most consumers. So most people continue to only use IPv4.

Zola.

• Bristles
  • Let's do this.
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2018, 04:33:40 AM »
Were you not frugal with your words?

Boofinator

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 12:23:50 PM »
For the record, my mobile device started banning me yesterday. No explanation provided. I would be curious if a solution is available, though at the same time it might not be a bad thing?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2019, 04:50:07 PM »
Yes, the solution is to clear your cache/cookies and reboot your phone.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2019, 03:32:12 PM »
Reviving this somewhat old thread. What is a valid member/poster to do if they are banned on all devices, presumably due to an IP address issue? This happened to me a month ago when I tried to access the site from a hotel wifi. Then yesterday, I was suddenly able to get in again, but only on my tablet, not on my PC. I tried to set up a temporary account in order to get help from a moderator, but the verification email never arrived (different email address). So, I was just...well...banned. And while I will say that getting the time back instead of spending too much time here was nice, I really did miss it. :(

TLDR: When a valid member is banned (presumably by mistake), how can that member notify someone to get the situation resolved?

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2019, 04:35:11 PM »
No need to notify someone.

You got banned by going on an IP address that was banned (that hotel wifi).

All you have to do after is be on an IP that isn't banned, then:
the solution is to clear your cache/cookies and reboot your phone.

Your device was "remembering" the ban, so even after you were on a non-banned IP, you got that message. Clear your history so that it doesn't remember that, go on an IP that isn't banned, and you're fine. It's that IP that was banned, not your account.

Miss Piggy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2019, 07:45:14 PM »
Okay, thanks @arebelspy

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2019, 09:37:36 AM »
Reviving this somewhat old thread. What is a valid member/poster to do if they are banned on all devices, presumably due to an IP address issue? This happened to me a month ago when I tried to access the site from a hotel wifi.

Just had the same thing happen to me.  Couldn't figure out why I was permanently banned when I had not commented on anything the previous couple of days.  Then life got busy and I forgot about it for a couple of weeks.  Went to a device that wasn't logged in and on a different wifi network and saw this post.  Frustrating since I travel for a living and use different hotel's wifi networks all the time. 

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2019, 10:43:34 PM »
....................an idea for a dystopian novellette - computer access is everything and the powerful control most of the few-billion IP numbers.  kind of like every other dystopian novel, only instead of water or 'spice' we're fighting over something completely intangible invented decades earlier but hard-coded into our system to such a degree that it can't be changed.

Love it!

robartsd

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2019, 11:37:33 AM »
Would it be helpful for members to record their public IP details when banned (particularly if they are not on a public wifi network) to get errant IP bans removed?

2sk22

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2020, 04:26:33 PM »
I was banned for spam apparently today. I then deleted all cookies and tried again from my computer but no joy. But I noticed I was still logged in on my phone and that was working properly. I then tried on a different browser and that worked fine. Any idea what may be happening?

fattest_foot

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 06:56:07 PM »
Would it be helpful for members to record their public IP details when banned (particularly if they are not on a public wifi network) to get errant IP bans removed?

This. If there are any mods checking this thread, I would appreciate it. My wife and I are both banned at work, which is odd because it would seem to indicate that a Federal worker was sending not so nice messages.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 07:19:59 PM »

This. If there are any mods checking this thread, I would appreciate it. My wife and I are both banned at work, which is odd because it would seem to indicate that a Federal worker was sending not so nice messages.

(Emphasis added.)

Have you thought of Occam's Razor? If it wasn't you...

;)

I can remove them as a one-time thing. PM me when you attempt to access with the IP. It helps if it's right around the time you try to access, because sometimes the IP you think you're using isn't the one the forum records, so I can search both the one you report, and the one that shows up in the ban log.

Chris Pascale

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2020, 06:35:39 PM »
I went to the forum from a computer I don't normally use and it said "Sorry, Guest, but you can't use the site because you're racist," or something like that, and I thought definitely not going to login to avoid the headache.

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
Just got perma-banned for the third time. I’m having to start tracking which hotel WiFi will get me banned because clearing my website history is a pain in the ass.

If it helps I can PM the IP address to a moderator.

Mariah_M

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2020, 09:59:10 AM »
They used to ban my profile once, and I couldnt find the reason. So I opened this one, hope it will last long :D

[MOD EDIT: You, in particular, with this account, posted spam in a new topic.  The topic has been deleted and you've been banned again]
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 08:55:46 AM by FrugalToque »

JetBlast

• Bristles
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2020, 11:34:01 AM »
Fourth permaban. This time the WiFi network in question was the Detroit airport free WiFi. I screenshot the IP address if that would help.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:36:42 AM by JetBlast »

OtherJen

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2020, 05:01:59 AM »
Fourth permaban. This time the WiFi network in question was the Detroit airport free WiFi. I screenshot the IP address if that would help.

Interesting. I live 5 miles from that airport and got hit with my first permaban on Friday.

NumberJohnny5

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 05:56:22 PM »
Not familiar with the internal workings of this particular forum, but...

Generally there's a way to create a special section of the forum only visible to those who are banned. I think that'd make things quite a bit easier to "debug". Instead of saying "log in from a device that will allow it right after you got the message on a different device/ip, so we can see what's going on" it's more like "just post here, we can see exactly what's going on the exact moment you post."

I've seen at least one forum where there's a dedicated section for this, and each user can only see the topic they've created (thus no issues with every single banned user seeing what every other banned user is posting. I don't think you even had to be banned, it was named something like "chat with a moderator" or some-such. So you'd hop in banned or not, start a topic, and only you and mods could read it. Never used it, but sounded cool.

Loren Ver

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
  • I Retired. Yah!
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 12:50:32 PM »
Thanks for having this.  I got banned while on a trip, Denver Airport if anyone cares, while using my phone.  The message was so funny I had to screen shot it and send it to my spouse. 

The fixes listed here worked fine and I am up and running again.   I'll try to keep from trolling, or feeding the trolls :).

Loren

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2021, 02:39:04 PM »
I was just banned on my phone for "trolling" but the site seems to be working fine on the laptop. I haven't been on any foreign (e.g., hotel, etc.) wifi recently. Is the only way to fix it to clear my entire history on my phone? This would mean I'd need to reenter every password, which is a total pain.

Metalcat

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #41 on: October 31, 2021, 04:13:40 PM »
Huh, I just realized that I haven't been banned since I moved.

Neat.

OzzieandHarriet

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #42 on: October 31, 2021, 07:06:55 PM »
I fixed it on my phone by going to settings, Safari, advanced, website data, and then deleting the data for this site. I was able to come here and log in.

dandarc

• Walrus Stache
  • Pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2021, 07:46:37 PM »
I'm going to pre-emptively answer it for myself -  suggesting a "can I get dinged by the mods a little more often" contest. Gonna be interesting to see what actually happens.

BC_Goldman

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2022, 06:30:49 PM »
I got hit by the "ban" today. It caused me some panic and wondering what I could possibly have said that was considered trolling. I tried going incognito and got the same message as a guest. It gave me hope it might actually be an IP ban but didn't know if it was both.

My wife was able to get to the forums and found this thread for me. It took me getting on our home wifi and resetting cookies a second time to get things working. The interesting but for me was that I was using mobile data to view the site earlier in the day and was suddenly "banned" while still using mobile data.

As far as I could tell, the ban completely shuts you out of the entire forum. There's no way to read this thread even with a direct link. There's no way that I could see to contact anyone about the ban either.

I don't know if there's a way to differentiate the ban messages. It would be helpful if the IP ban message said so rather than indicating your account is banned.

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2022, 11:32:55 AM »
I'm currently banned on my phone, but not on the laptop. Previous experience says that at some point it magically fixes itself. Who knows? It's irritating, though.

nereo

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2022, 12:46:08 PM »
I'm currently banned on my phone, but not on the laptop. Previous experience says that at some point it magically fixes itself. Who knows? It's irritating, though.

Strange, but the same exact thing happened to me today. Tried deleting my history and cookies and restarting.  Now it even says "Guest, you are banned" or something like that, but only on my phone.

kenner

• Stubble
« Reply #47 on: July 29, 2022, 09:22:22 PM »
Was wondering how I'd managed political trolling with a two-week old comment about tequila, but apparently I'm just continuing the fun...mysteriously enough I'm banned (as myself and as Guest) on one browser but not another at the moment.  Fun times. 

Cranky

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2022, 11:35:57 AM »
I was unbanned for a month, and now I'm banned again on my phone but not my laptop. LOL

Morning Glory

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2022, 07:13:40 AM »
I was banned this morning on my android phone using parent's wifi, even as a guest, no reason listed. Clearing cookies/deleting browsing history did not help. Able to log in using mobile data. Weird.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 07:22:16 AM by Morning Glory »