Author Topic: What it means to be part of this forum  (Read 14554 times)

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
What it means to be part of this forum
« on: October 09, 2016, 07:55:51 AM »
Hi Forum People!

So, this really neat collection of our thoughts is coming up on its 5-year anniversary and it has become pretty big: close to 30,000 registered users and over 1.2 million posts.

But it has also taken a lot of work - tens of thousands of those posts (and untold shitloads of behind-the-scenes work) are from the moderators themselves, who are the sole reason this forum exists. Part of this work is deleting the daily flood of spam accounts that somehow make it past our "skill testing questions" and also the trolls and people who can't seem to be a productive part of a conversation. There have been hundreds or thousands of such people over the years.

This often brings up questions - "Hey! How come I got banned?", or "Hey, I can't join the forum - Why do you deliberately make it difficult to do so!"

The answer is tough but necessary: This forum is like a little town or community - it's not big enough to accommodate everyone who wants to join, and its systems break down if we let it get too big. We aren't interested in scaling the forum up to create another Reddit, so we need to keep it finite.

The bad news is that not everyone can get the full benefits of personal conversations right here on this exact website. The good news is that the conversations of MMM forum users can help other people who happen to be passing by.

This forum, because of your unusually precise and intelligent content, has become an insanely powerful magnet for Google and other search engines.  Often, conversations you have here will immediately show up on the first page of a web search. This brings more people, and means the conversations are influential. The forum alone (not counting the main Mr. Money Mustache blog) gets over 3 million page views per month.

When you combine these two factors: limited size and wide reach, you come to realize that this forum is not really a bunch of private conversations. It's more like a stage, on which you are performing the act of civilized questions and intelligent responses in front of millions of people. OK, not every conversation, but definitely certain ones wherever we happen to get a lot of search visitors.

I think this is the reason that the moderators are a bit more strict than they might be on smaller forums, and I also have a pretty hasty mouse trigger over the delete button - both on the main blog's comments section, and on troll-ish accounts here on the forum.

I mean, sure, we can be sarcastic and argumentative all day and maybe have some personal fun with it in a thread that started out being about, say, investment allocations. But then we waste everyone's time who came here to actually learn about investment allocations.

So I'm a fan of the more strict rules of "Debate intelligently, avoid personal attacks and angry opinions, and provide as much backup data as you can." A post on this forum should be done out of the excitement of helping people (including yourself) learn something new, rather than out of anger that their initial opinion is different than your own.

Because we're now on a stage with limited space and lots of people willing to step up, I hope the moderators won't sweat the fact that we can't always be perfect. It's a hasty and sloppy job, trying to keep this place functioning, but the amount of people silently passing by and learning stuff make it worthwhile.

Also - further ideas and opinions welcomed. And thanks a lot for everything.

KMMK

• Handlebar Stache
    • Meena Kestirke Insurance
Re: What it means to be part of this forum
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 08:00:14 AM »
Thank you for providing this community. There're a lot of people here I wish I lived closer to but this is definitely the next best thing.

jade

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 08:19:05 AM »
Thank you! This place has become a) so useful to me as somewhere to get practical, intelligent finance advice and b) to help me refine my own philosophy of his to approach life and meet like minded people. Very grateful for it.

NinetyFour

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2016, 08:32:04 AM »
Many thanks to MMM and to the mods who manage to keep this space civil, entertaining, dynamic, supportive, and encouraging.  I have learned so much here!

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:48 AM »
Thanks so much to you for providing it and to you and the mods for the work that goes in to keeping it going and keeping it so remarkably civil and informative.

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 09:01:17 AM »
I spend way too much time here, probably post way too much, and generally enjoy the forums too much.

I appreciate the community here. I also like that the "journals" section requires registered users.

Also - further ideas and opinions welcomed. And thanks a lot for everything.

There have been a few posts recently where it sounded like the current moderators do not have enough bandwidth to handle the site (and your numbers here make that less surprising!). Perhaps add more?

Indio

• Bristles
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
This is the first place I come when I want to see commentary about latest financial news and topics that I should be concerned about or that might not be covered in national news. Thanks for making this available. There would be a big hole in my financial reading without this forum. Thanks to the mods for keeping the discourse civil and useful

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 09:09:15 AM »
I agree with ender- super grateful the journals are private, and please ensure they stay that way. Also agree that more mods seems like a good idea.

Thank you so much for this community. It's been life changing. The blog peaked my interest, but didn't resonate in the way that the forums have. I feel like they complement each other so well, but serve very different roles.

pbkmaine

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2016, 09:17:57 AM »
Quite possibly the most intelligent group of people I've ever met.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SeaEhm

• Bristles
  • The Guilt is Real
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2016, 09:51:33 AM »
With the increased number of users, I see that the spectrum of personalities has increased greatly, thereby, created more fire...and hopefully more FIRE!

matchewed

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2016, 01:49:09 PM »
I've been a member on this forum for quite some time and have seen it evolve over that time. I may step away from it for whatever reasons I may have from time to time but I always come back as a place that I feel comfortable sharing my non-mainstream opinions and helping people realize that their mainstream opinions aren't necessarily reality.

I personally find that the mods do a great job regardless of how difficult it is. This place has value, and that value is only through keeping the rules basic and true to concept of respectful discourse.

Rock on.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 12:48:38 AM »
I think Joel Garreau wrote in Edge City that great cities like Venice and Paris built up over centuries to the point where they became great places, basically beacons of civilization.  (His point in the book is that maybe American suburbs will be that great...someday.)  The interwebs are younger than that, but I think our MMM moderators are pruning just enough to let a great garden grow in what is still an early stage of Internet City.  Good job, mods.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2016, 06:06:49 AM »
I've seen this forum linked in articles I get emailed by Personal Capital so it's definitely reaching a VERY wide audience, especially millennials.

Proud to be part of such a community =)

ender

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2016, 06:16:48 AM »
I've seen this forum linked in articles I get emailed by Personal Capital so it's definitely reaching a VERY wide audience, especially millennials.

Proud to be part of such a community =)

The forum is getting linked?

Oh my, that means people might be reading what I say!

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2016, 06:45:07 AM »
Love the site.  Thank you all for your contributions.

1 criticism:  Please fix the search timeout issue. It would be invaluable to direct others to past readings instead of re-posting.

With regard to moderators, no complaints.  They do a fine job.  I do not think you need more, but I would be willing to learn more about being one if you are looking.

rockstache

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2016, 10:23:36 AM »
I love it here. I'm glad the mods are strict and don't tolerate rudeness. Most people are really wonderful.

hoping2retire35

• Handlebar Stache
  • just want to see where this appears
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »

This forum, because of your unusually precise and intelligent content...

I respect everyone's opinion here and try to offer advice where I can and know I try to overly expand the breath of dialogue at times. I have never posted to reddit and only read it a few times when it came up on a random google search. I wouldn't want to post there either, too massive and impersonal and you don't know how well you can trust any responses, though I suppose someone on here could make up an complete false life for themselves, just seems unlikely.

I do wish there was a way to combine the parts of this community of "financially sophisticated and sensible consumer" with "other interests" in my life to bring people together, just not sure how that could happen; start a blog...

Rubic

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2016, 02:22:47 PM »
MMM is of the best online communities I've been privileged to participate in,
and I've been on forums since before we started calling it the "Internet".

Many thanks to all of our dedicated, hard working moderators.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »
With that number of views (which is quite amazing), I think it might be worth specifying which sections are public and which are restricted, so everyone contributing realises the implications. I didn't realise the journals were restricted, and I suspect that the "post-fire" section could/should be restricted as well, given the numbers of views. It might also be worth restricting the "ask a mustashian" section, as that tends to have case studies in it where people reveal their private details. And, the "off-topic" and "forum information and FAQs" sections should be totally irrelevant to the general public.

However, other sections are quite general, and really give people the flavour of the forum (so encourage them to join), along with valuable information.

It really is a wonderful place to be a part of, and Pete has done an amazing job to inspire the creation of this community. The moderators also deserve all the kudos they get (and much more)!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 06:37:18 PM »
Thanks MMM for providing the forum for us.

Huge thanks to the moderators who keep us (mostly) in line.

PizzaSteve

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2016, 05:50:46 PM »
First my thanks to the moderators.

They are heroic in their efforts to keep the dialog fun, but civil.  Thanks for coming to our rescue on occasion.

When I occasionally get prickly myself, it is always in my own best interests to be gently corrected.  Thanks for that too!

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2016, 06:26:45 PM »
Great mods, ender would be another great mod if you're taking nominations.

I and many others would GREATLY appreciate being able to:
- subscribe to threads without posting in them
- unsubscribe from threads

There is a large contingent of forumsgoers who mainly browse via the Unread Replies page, and having better subscribe/unsubscribe options would greatly increase the functionality for those users. Thank you for taking suggestions!

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 06:48:57 PM »

There is a large contingent of forumsgoers who mainly browse via the Unread Replies page, and having better subscribe/unsubscribe options would greatly increase the functionality for those users. Thank you for taking suggestions!
+1
+1
+1
+1

swick

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2016, 06:57:06 PM »

MOD NOTE: There is the option to select "notify" or "unnotify" (if you are following a thread) at the bottom of each thread. It is on the right side with the other options "reply" "add poll" "mark unread" "send this topic" and "print"

You don't have to comment on a thread in order to follow it - but many people don't realize this option is there.

And thank you for all the warm and fuzzies :)

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 07:04:46 PM »

MOD NOTE: There is the option to select "notify" or "unnotify" (if you are following a thread) at the bottom of each thread. It is on the right side with the other options "reply" "add poll" "mark unread" "send this topic" and "print"

You don't have to comment on a thread in order to follow it - but many people don't realize this option is there.

Thank you for the MOD NOTE.  I have used the notify button, but I do not like it as well as another option.  The notify will send an email.  So now I have 2 placed to look for new posts I might be interested in.  I think that is why you see so many "following" posts instead of using the notify button.  The followers only have 1 place to look.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2016, 07:42:48 AM »

Thank you for the MOD NOTE.  I have used the notify button, but I do not like it as well as another option.  The notify will send an email.  So now I have 2 placed to look for new posts I might be interested in.  I think that is why you see so many "following" posts instead of using the notify button.  The followers only have 1 place to look.

This. I believe I've heard mention that the ability to unsubscribe from posts would come with some software stuff that would make the forum load even more slowly than it already does, so there were concerns about it crashing the forum given the amount of traffic we have. I'm not sure if there was also a cost concern.

Does anyone know what would be required as hardware (I'm guessing) to allow us to have the fancier software package without crashing the forum? (Techie types who are cringing at my incorrect terminology, please let me know what's more correct and I'll be happy to fix my post.) I know my usual way of viewing the forum is to open my unread topics, then open all the journals in another tab and mark them read, and go through my unread topics. If I still have time, then I go through all the unread topics (minus the journals cause I've marked them as read). I believe this is a common practice other than those who just peruse sub by sub. Does this cause extra server load that might be counteracted by the fancier software package?

And +1 to the idea of getting more mods who can keep up the (bad ass) standards of the current mods.

I think Joel Garreau wrote in Edge City that great cities like Venice and Paris built up over centuries to the point where they became great places, basically beacons of civilization.  (His point in the book is that maybe American suburbs will be that great...someday.)  The interwebs are younger than that, but I think our MMM moderators are pruning just enough to let a great garden grow in what is still an early stage of Internet City.  Good job, mods.

We built this city on rock and roll financial nerdiness!

Johnny Aloha

• Bristles
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2016, 10:21:49 AM »
A thank you to the moderators who volunteer their time on this forum!

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2016, 12:18:23 PM »

I think most people realize the option is there but don't enjoy getting email notifications about a forum they read. I know the first time I used "notify" I was shocked to get emails about a new reply in the thread - that seems like such an unwieldy system and I can't imagine push notification emails are LESS server intensive than a "bookmarked threads" tab.

CheapskateWife

• Handlebar Stache
  • Location: Hill Country, TX - Being a blueberry in the Tomato Soup
  • FIRE'd and Loving it!
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2016, 12:37:05 PM »
Throwing in my thanks with the bunch.  I can't tell you how many life changing moments have developed from reading and participating the conversations in this forum.  You all are my professors, I still feel like the student in many ways; but relish those few moments when I am able to contribute and share my newfound knowledge with others. 

Thank you MMM for establishing the platform, and for the rest of you, especially the moderators who keep our discourse intelligent (mostly), valuable, and entertaining (always). 

Affectionately - CSwife

MMM

• Administrator
  • Stubble
    • Mr. Money Mustache
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2016, 10:10:17 AM »
Wow, this turned out to be a very positive conversation - awesome!

Regarding the SEARCH function - I don't know how to fix that, but I have a much better thing anyway. In fact, I'd love to remove the search box or replace it with this option if possible:

To search ANY site on the Internet,  including this forum, just go to Google, or even the title bar of most browsers, and type this:

site: forum.mrmoneymustache.com welding (or whatever topic you want)

You'll get an instant result using Google's best and most current technology, rather than whatever nonsense is built into the old PHP script that runs this forum.

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2016, 10:30:08 AM »

Regarding the SEARCH function - I don't know how to fix that, but I have a much better thing anyway. In fact, I'd love to remove the search box or replace it with this option if possible:

To search ANY site on the Internet,  including this forum, just go to Google, or even the title bar of most browsers, and type this:

You'll get an instant result using Google's best and most current technology, rather than whatever nonsense is built into the old PHP script that runs this forum.

That would be great! I will use that from now on, unless the site search changes.

You could just change the search button to accept the search criteria, stick the site:forum...... in front of the search text, and then send that to google a new tab.

Posting so I can easily find your google search suggestion again.  See what I did there? :) :) :)

Have a great day.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »

Definitely what I do! Is there some way we can have the search link to a "how-to" instead? Seems like most people don't know how to use google site search, and I would love for it to be more common knowledge.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2016, 03:36:32 AM »

Definitely what I do! Is there some way we can have the search link to a "how-to" instead? Seems like most people don't know how to use google site search, and I would love for it to be more common knowledge.

Have you looked at the stickies in this section of the forums?  ;)

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/forum-information-faqs/the-forum-'search'-feature/

That post details how to use the site search effectively, and how to use the Google search.

One note: Google search won't work for content that Google doesn't index (the journals, which require a login to see, to help keep that information private).  So you'll need to use the site search for that.  And, of course, the site search lets you get more specific (e.g. searching by a certain poster).
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2016, 03:51:12 PM »
How do you search by poster, ARS? I've never had much luck just typing in the username.

arebelspy

• Administrator
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2016, 04:53:38 PM »
How do you search by poster, ARS? I've never had much luck just typing in the username.

Did you check out the linked thread?  Use the advanced search, put in their username, and put the range (date or subforums) you want to search.

For example, if I go there, put in the word "search" and the username "Rural," this thread (your post above this one) is result #4.  :)
I am a former teacher who accumulated a bunch of real estate, retired at 29, spent some time traveling the world full time and am now settled with three kids.
If you want to know more about me, this Business Insider profile tells the story pretty well.
I (rarely) blog at AdventuringAlong.com. Check out the Now page to see what I'm up to currently.

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2016, 07:19:02 PM »

Did you check out the linked thread?  Use the advanced search, put in their username, and put the range (date or subforums) you want to search.

For example, if I go there, put in the word "search" and the username "Rural," this thread (your post above this one) is result #4.  :)

Oh, yeah. I read that linked thread when it was new, and I'd managed to forget about the advanced search option in the meantime. D'oh.

Stachey

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2016, 11:07:54 AM »
Thank you so much MMM and the moderators for this forum!

Being FIRE is so isolating.  I do not know a single person IRL who "gets it".  They all seem to think that they are required by law to spend every penny they make as soon as they make it.

So it is really wonderful to be able to come on this forum and talk with people who understand.

Thanks again.

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2016, 11:41:20 AM »

Being FIRE is so isolating.  I do not know a single person IRL who "gets it".  They all seem to think that they are required by law to spend every penny they make as soon as they make it.

So it is really wonderful to be able to come on this forum and talk with people who understand.

Thanks again.

Very well said! I've tried to help others - they all say it is impossible. They are not ready yet, they may not ever be ready.

The mods do a great job - it is tricky to balance an open and dynamic dialogue (face punches expected) with respect for others, especially on heated topics.  In my case study question, my marriage got blasted - totally off topic. Fortunately Cheddar Stacker (hey Cheds <waves>) and others (sorry if I've forgotten others names) stepped in and got things back on track. So thanks also go to other users who step in to try to keep this as the wonderful, honest but supportive community it is!

FIREdancer

• Stubble
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2016, 01:10:06 PM »
This is the only online forum that I've ever participated in and I must say I enjoy it thoroughly!  I always feel like I can trust the collective intelligence of this group and I highly value the advice I receive here.

In my everyday life, I often find myself thinking "I must ask the Mustachians about this or that."  And since Mustachians seem to be few and far between in real life, I'm thankful to have a place to communicate with like-minded people.

So another big thank you to MMM and the moderators for making this thing work!

radram

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 07:39:55 PM »

Thanks again.
+1 

When I gave notice, I told most of my work I was "taking a year off", because I thought most people couldn't even understand the concept of FIRE.  Some people could not even understand that.

Allie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2016, 11:37:59 PM »
This forum really is amazing.  It brings together so many spectacular people who I could have never met in real life due to circumstance or geography.  It feels so close knit and friendly, I am shocked at how large it is!

I'll add my voice to the chorus of Thanks to MMM and the mods for providing the forum and keeping it awesome.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2016, 02:16:38 AM »
This forum really is amazing.  It brings together so many spectacular people who I could have never met in real life due to circumstance or geography.  It feels so close knit and friendly, I am shocked at how large it is!

I'll add my voice to the chorus of Thanks to MMM and the mods for providing the forum and keeping it awesome.

Large enough to be global, and small enough to get to know people :D

CarrieWillard

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Not your average frugal, homeschooling mom of 7
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2016, 12:37:04 PM »
Just another expression of thanks for the forums. Since the blog isn't updated frequently, this is where we can get our fix!

HAPPYINAZ

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2016, 08:21:00 AM »
I am a big fan of how well moderated this forum is.  I run another large forum and I know how hard it is to moderate and keep things civil. You all have done an amazing job.  Great community and one where I find very useful, actionable info frequently.  I learn a lot here. 

Lyssa

• Bristles
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2016, 01:59:35 PM »
Echoing what so many others have said: thanks to MMM for this forum and thanks to the moderators for all their work for this community. I might disagree with a certain decision from time to time but all in all this place has the right balance of room for different thoughts and standards re their expression.

My favourite place on the net!

dandypandys

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2016, 07:13:25 PM »
I love this forum! Just wanted to let you all know haha. I hope it never, ever, goes away.

stoaX

• Handlebar Stache
  • 'tis nothing good nor bad but thinking makes it so
« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2016, 05:02:34 PM »
I don't do social media and I don't post on forums..except this one.  This forum is the only one worth my time and attention.  Bogleheads comes in second but it just doesn't quite get me to post. 

G-dog

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2016, 05:05:28 PM »
I don't do social media and I don't post on forums..except this one.  This forum is the only one worth my time and attention.  Bogleheads comes in second but it just doesn't quite get me to post.

I tried Bogleheads early on, but somehow could not get into the organization or culture. Didn't seem as user friendly.